House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Militants Attack Airport In Pakistan's Karachi, 26 Dead

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/06/09/uk-pakistan-airport-attacks-idUKKBN0EJ0TO20140609

A group of heavily armed gunmen stormed Pakistan's biggest airport on Sunday and at least 26 people were killed in a night-long battle at one of the country's most high-profile targets.

The assault on Jinnah International Airport in Karachi, Pakistan's sprawling commercial hub of 18 million people, took place as Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's government tries to engage Taliban militants in talks to end years of fighting.

The attack began just before midnight when 10 gunmen wearing military uniforms shot their way into the airport.

Gun battles went on for five hours and television pictures showed fire raging as ambulances ferried casualties away. By dawn on Monday, the army said the airport had been secured.

"Ten militants aged between 20 and 25 have been killed by security forces," said a spokesman for the paramilitary Rangers force. "A large cache of arms and ammunition has been recovered from the militants."

Pakistan's paramilitary force said that the attackers were ethnic Uzbeks. Pakistani officials often blame foreign militants holed up in lawless areas on the Afghan border for staging attacks alongside the Pakistani Taliban around the country.

Yet another demonstration how it's impossible to have 100% security.

Just watched new Ross Kemp documentary on Karachi this very week. Mental looking place.

Just watched new Ross Kemp documentary on Karachi this very week. Mental looking place.

I went there ten years ago for work! It is as you say "mental"! Was collected from the airport by two trucks with "blokes with guns"! Nobody else at work apparently fancied this "once in a lifetime customer visit"! :blink: I was flown to the place of work in a farked old Fokker, where the windows didn't shut properly, so it's lucky it didn't go too high! Probably from the part of the airport where some gunmen have recently been shooting people! :o

Lucky you got out alive !!

I'd probably think twice about a return visit! Apparently Islamabad is nice, but I never got there! Most people I dealt with spoke good English, and were engineers, and probably studied abroad! Probably a more dangerous place now!

It does look like a place you would be shatting your pants if you just popped out for a curry.

It does look like a place you would be shatting your pants if you just popped out for a curry.

We all get that for a week! Actually the food was good! All the Brits liked a good spicy meal! The Italians I was working with couldn't take that! The made them special "cheese on toast" also known as a pizza! Very un spicy! But the Brits tucked in to this Pakistani/ North Indian fodder very well! Actually the "restaurant" was six or eight containers welded together!