Computer Passes Turing Test

dinker

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest TheBlueCat

At the point someone builds an AI that can convince the majority of academic staff in the computer science and linguistic departments of a university in the world top 100, then I'll start to get worried. 33% of the general public, not so much.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest TheBlueCat

I know people who could spend hours chatting to Eliza without realizing it was a few hundred lines of code.

And how does that make you feel?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

A programme that convinced humans that it was a 13-year-old boy has become the first computer ever to pass the Turing Test.

That's a bit of a cheat considering the average 13-year-old couldn't pass the Turing Test.

10 print "ur gay lol"

20 goto 10

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I'm enjoying this conversation. And you?

Please go on.

And...I think we've found a loop already!

http://www-ai.ijs.si/eliza-cgi-bin/eliza_script for those who've not seen it before (bloody youngsters).

HOLA4415

I know people who could spend hours chatting to Eliza without realizing it was a few hundred lines of code.

And how does that make you feel?

We were discussing you, not me.

Please go on.

I'm enjoying this conversation. And you?

Please go on.

And...I think we've found a loop already!

http://www-ai.ijs.si/eliza-cgi-bin/eliza_script for those who've not seen it before (bloody youngsters).

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4416

At the point someone builds an AI that can convince the majority of academic staff in the computer science and linguistic departments of a university in the world top 100, then I'll start to get worried. 33% of the general public, not so much.

Look at Chess below.

I remember the analysis when a computer scored the first win against a top human, there were suggestions that it was lucky, that it was fixed, etc..

10 years later and computers are unambiguously better at chess than people, period.

The interesting thing is that AIs based on trained, deep neural networks will still have the property we see in wetware - it will generate responses, but you won't be able to tell how, you take it to bits and all you have are locally-communicating dumb neurons.

game_ais.png

HOLA4417

did Turing pass the Turing test?

Joanna Lumley did with her famous impersonation by a computer "youve got male"...I truly beleived somehow she was personally telling everyone that they had got male....so relevent to me since my sex change.

HOLA4418

Nice chart.

But where are trading and investment systems on that chart?

Or perhaps pricing algos that change the price according to who, when the buyer is looking at the site.

etc etc

I can feel the debits in my pocket throbbing as they grow and subside according to the machines.

You mean trading and investment systems using extremely powerful hardware, and Machine Learning algorithms with access to the entire internet for information, including things like facebook and twitter feeds. Systems that are competing with one another, making financial decisions independently, learning rapidly and acting in ways that were never designed..?

Don't worry, they almost certainly have an off switch.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Very tempted to write my own dating site bot for amusement; put a really good looking girl's photo in the profile and I the cumulative man hours that would be wasted from poor chumps trying to bang her would be astronomical.

Ironically the computer would probably be more literate than a fairly hefty percentage of dating site participants! It would be interesting to see just how stupid you could make the bot before the average bloke would realize something was up.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I forcast all programs will end.

EDIT: I also forecast that whilst one day, I may have the pleasure of being right....you shall never have that pleasure. ;)

This might be the opportune time for somebody to explain what exactly is "the halting problem"? I've never really got to grips with it or what it implies.

HOLA4424

I forcast all programs will end.

EDIT: I also forecast that whilst one day, I may have the pleasure of being right....you shall never have that pleasure. ;)

I know, its hard being right all the time....

HOLA4425
Guest TheBlueCat

Look at Chess below.

I remember the analysis when a computer scored the first win against a top human, there were suggestions that it was lucky, that it was fixed, etc..

10 years later and computers are unambiguously better at chess than people, period.

The interesting thing is that AIs based on trained, deep neural networks will still have the property we see in wetware - it will generate responses, but you won't be able to tell how, you take it to bits and all you have are locally-communicating dumb neurons.

Chess really is a different category of problem and always has been. It's quite possible that a true AI without some special chess-playing sub-system would be no better at it than humans.

I am a proponent of strong AI, I just don't expect it to happen particularly soon. I also think you're likely right that even the people who build systems which do, finally, pass the kind of Turing test I described will not quite understand how it all works.

Archived