House Price Crash Forum

Powerful Lightbulbs And Lampshades

HOLA441

This is something I'm having trouble getting an answer to from Googling.

It seems that most lampshades are rated for 60w equivalent light bulbs and one or two for 100w. I want to use my powerful 30w (150watt equiv.) energy saver daylight bulbs.

These don't actually seem to run any hotter than many bulbs and I will be looking for a large probably metal-style lampshade with plenty of air around the bulb.

Is anything bad going to happen if I use a 150w bulb in there?

HOLA442

This is something I'm having trouble getting an answer to from Googling.

It seems that most lampshades are rated for 60w equivalent light bulbs and one or two for 100w. I want to use my powerful 30w (150watt equiv.) energy saver daylight bulbs.

These don't actually seem to run any hotter than many bulbs and I will be looking for a large probably metal-style lampshade with plenty of air around the bulb.

Is anything bad going to happen if I use a 150w bulb in there?

I take it that when you wrote that you were crashed out and burned.

(you sound like my father)

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

It's the heat! If you use a low energy CFL, you will be fine! I still use Tilley lamps, for extra heat and waste!

HOLA447
HOLA448

I bet you keep that under your mantle

I think Tilley lamps are wonderful! What a beautiful invention! Yes I have spare bits! Wonderful for camping, but dont put it in your tent! It's an outside thing!

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I think Tilley lamps are wonderful! What a beautiful invention! Yes I have spare bits! Wonderful for camping, but dont put it in your tent! It's an outside thing!

Many a happy childhood night spent on Dungeness beach with a Tilley lamp.

HOLA4411

What's the worst that could happen. Go for it.

That said, I wouldn't leave it unattended at first, for example by going out for several hours, just in case the house is reduced to smouldering remains by the time you return.

Archived