House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Us Secret Service Seeks To Buy A Sarcasm Detector!

http://www.itpro.co.uk/security/22411/twitter-to-buy-soundcloud-as-secret-service-seek-sarcasm-detector

The site has also come to the attention of the US Secret Service, who reportedly wish to use software that can gage whether certain threats made on the social media platform are genuine or not through a ‘sarcasm detector.’ The agency is offering a contract for software that can “detect sarcasm and false positives.”

The proposed software could also be able to collect information such as the users’ emotions and an archive of old messages, making the ability to determine sarcasm just one of many features.

Ed Donovan, spokesman for the Secret Service, said: "Our objective is to automate our social media monitoring process. The ability to detect sarcasm and false positives is just one of 16 or 18 things we are looking at. We are looking for the ability to quantify our social media outreach. We aren't looking solely to detect sarcasm."

O are they going for irony as well?

This could be a godsend for forums!

The next generation of software will translate US comedy TV shows, so they are funny in the UK.

THAT WAS A JOKE [/sarcasm off]

Aren't we just going to end up with sarcastic terrorists?

doh!erized in one.

Thats what they want you to think...

It will have to be fine-tuned so that irony does not give false positives for sarcasm.

Note to NSA: If you are reading this, every thing a Brit says is sarcasm.

And they won't get it!

Just before my first child was born, an American colleague asked if I was going to be present at the birth. I replied no, I would be going to the pub across the road instead. She looked genuinely shocked until I assured her I was being sarcastic.

Given most humans can't judge sarcasm without clues from verbal emphasis and body language it will be a pretty impressive trick when a computer can.

Quite "big brotherish" to realise that (given the Turin thread) the state will eventually have the power to listen intelligently to every single telephone conversation and digital interaction in the world simultaneously and take automated legal/intelligence action where ever is deemed necessary.

Just before my first child was born, an American colleague asked if I was going to be present at the birth. I replied no, I would be going to the pub across the road instead. She looked genuinely shocked until I assured her I was being sarcastic.

Was you though?

Ha! You cannot make quitethe same sort of "off the cuff" comments to Americans, like you can to the Brits!

Was the beer nice? :blink:

They could make it a criminal offence not to use smileys. But which is the one for sarcasm? HPC has resigned bemusement :rolleyes: knowing irony ;) and ... Mr Pin :blink:

Or resurrect Father Ted ...

"Father Ted" has got to be one of those boxed sets I eventually buy! I just like the look of surprise on that particular smiley! :blink: