House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

The Trial

This trial which is about to be held in secret concerning some terrorist related alleged crime is interesting - for all the usual democractic, freedom of free speech, justice being seen to be done, etc, issues.

But I wonder what it is about?

According to the Press the Courts have given out information that:

1. Two suspects

2. Both had bomb-making equipment/ingredients

3. One had a fake passport

The question has to be asked of what is so alarming about their intended target, mode of attack or, perhaps, about them that the Justice system wishes to hold this trial in complete and utter secrecy.

So, in the interest of a good speculation thread, does anyone have complete and total guesses of what might be so drastic that the courts wish to hold this trial in secrecy?

Was the target a plane or planes? Was it something along the lines of Kenya such as a shopping mall? Was the target a person or persons?

Or perhaps it is not the target but the persons on trial that they wish to keep secret? Has some celebrity gone nuts and started wanting to make bombs?

For a country which has experienced decades of Irish terrorism something must be pretty dramatic to result in this?

(No, the answer is not a 1913 Empire celebration on the banks of the River Avon.)

They could keep that secret quite easily without blanking out the entire thing ^

Actually I think the answer could be in your original question ;)

Perhaps it has to do with how they caught them e.g. a method or person that they don't want to be become widely known.

In the past when security services have not wished for how certain terrorist suspects have been caught - i.e. undercover work or electronic surveillance - those parts of terrorist trials have gone in-camera - i.e. the courts have been cleared of journos or a reporting ban imposed on that aspect of the evidence.

So, this must be much worse or more dangerous or more damaging.

Two men were arrested in Buckingham Palace last September - it was ambiguous about where in the palace they were found and arrested. At the time there were news reports of one actually being inside the palace.

I can remember Sky News reporting it and then... nothing.

Unlike other stories involving the Royals and attempted break-ins at the palace the media went, almost immediately, incredibly silent about what happened. Anyone who recalls other such break-ins will no doubt remember the names and life stories of such people being plasted across TV and paper news headlines for days afterwards.

But on this occasion - nothing. Nothing other than supposedly both men were bailed and released.

If you recall about a day or two afterwards Prince Andrew was confronted by armed offices inside Buck Palace and questioned who he was - he had a strop IIRC.

Actually I think the answer could be in your original question ;)

What? A 1913 Empire celebration on the banks of the River Avon arrested and trialed in secret? Surely not?

OK, maybe I worded my original question... smugly ;)

Another day in the destruction of the justice system. It's all about the interrogation of information sources.

It actually goes against several hundred years of British Justice. Yes, the journalists are waxing on about Magna Carta being violted but, let's face it, for several hundred years after Magna Carta the Crown or State were quite happy deposing off people whom they wanted to get rid of.

Then again, even Henry VIII would go through elaborate show trials - i.e. the trial of Sir Thomas Moore - because he wanted justice to be seen to be down... even if he had already decided the verdict.

There are serious questions to ask and be answered here about why this trial is being so conducted in secrecy - it goes to the heart of our democratic freedoms.

However, the beauty of it is that because we know next to nothing about it we are all free to comment on it as, quite simply, we have no idea who is on trial or why they are on trial.

What? A 1913 Empire celebration on the banks of the River Avon arrested and trialed in secret? Surely not?

OK, maybe I worded my original question... smugly ;)

Your point about this country being used to this due to Ireland. If it was looking like was about to happen again - and with all the politics just now re. UKIP / BNP / immigration etc.. Do you reckon the powers that be may prefer this to be kept quiet ?

Just a guess - but the NI problems have never remotely gone away.

There are still plenty of bombings and attacks ( of different levels of ability) happening in NI still.

What if one was almost happening in say the centre of Manchester again ?

Anyway - just a guess.

Knowing Britain it's probably a case of not wanting to inflame public anger against muslims, or some such PC garbage. The plot may have been a pretty outrageous one, I don't know, maybe targetting the new royal baby or something. And the terrorists may have been on benefits all their lives living in a Belgravia mansion or something ridiculous like that :D

Anyway, that's my serious guess. It's not in the public interest because the public might get a tad angry. Theories involving missing planes are far more interesting but very unlikely.

Your point about this country being used to this due to Ireland. If it was looking like was about to happen again - and with all the politics just now re. UKIP / BNP / immigration etc.. Do you reckon the powers that be may prefer this to be kept quiet ?

Just a guess - but the NI problems have never remotely gone away.

There are still plenty of bombings and attacks ( of different levels of ability) happening in NI still.

What if one was almost happening in say the centre of Manchester again ?

Anyway - just a guess.

Irish terrorists have never really had the need for fake passports - they usually have both a Brit one and an Irish one and it makes more sense to use your real persona to travel instead of using a fake one, simply because so many Brits/Irish travel back and forth between both countries.

But, yes, you raise an interesting possibility.

Still would like to know what happened to those two men arrested at Buck Palace last year for alleged trespassing.

Knowing Britain it's probably a case of not wanting to inflame public anger against muslims, or some such PC garbage. The plot may have been a pretty outrageous one, I don't know, maybe targetting the new royal baby or something. And the terrorists may have been on benefits all their lives living in a Belgravia mansion or something ridiculous like that :D

Anyway, that's my serious guess. It's not in the public interest because the public might get a tad angry. Theories involving missing planes are far more interesting but very unlikely.

I think that is probably it - fears that it will provoke some kind of racial backlash.

Irish terrorists have never really had the need for fake passports - they usually have both a Brit one and an Irish one and it makes more sense to use your real persona to travel instead of using a fake one, simply because so many Brits/Irish travel back and forth between both countries.

But, yes, you raise an interesting possibility.

Still would like to know what happened to those two men arrested at Buck Palace last year for alleged trespassing.

What if this person was on a 'watch' list for these activities already and was planning to head over here to do another ? I imagine in that situation a false passport may be preferable.

Who knows.

To be fair there have been a fair few stories re. Failed attempts in this arena - and the press have reported ( I assume) freely on them.

I am thinking if the irish angle because its terrorism that our wonderful government ' cured' us of and we don't have to worry about anymore.

For example how many heard about this ? It us an attempted terrorist attack on UK soil after all - and only happened a few months ago. Its not being hidden - but its certainly being kept extremely quiet compared to anything else of this nature happening in the UK . . .

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/police-told-to-be-vigilant-after-failed-bomb-attacks-in-northern-ireland-30098483.html

Who knows.

Exactly the problem - we don't. Hence why we can speculate wildly about the who and the why.

For example, we could have a thread on here about one of the loveliest people in the UK - Michael Palin. We could be chatting on here for weeks and months about what a lovely guy he is, what a fine actor he is, a superb writer and comedy performer.... and then oneday wake up to discover that Michael Palin has disappeared... sent off to some prison for undertimined length of time because he has been on trial for crimes unknown.

If they can do it to Michael Palin they can do it to the rest of us. I, for one, would miss him.

Do you see what I mean - why this is important. It is important just not for who and why this trial is taking place... but it is also important for everything that we are supposed to be as a nation and a people. On the eve of D-Day we are talking about all those men who gave their lives for, well, you know.

I digress.

For example how many heard about this ? It us an attempted terrorist attack on UK soil after all - and only happened a few months ago. Its not being hidden - but its certainly being kept extremely quiet compared to anything else of this nature happening in the UK . . .

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/police-told-to-be-vigilant-after-failed-bomb-attacks-in-northern-ireland-30098483.html

Yes, but that was reported in the press. You can google it and read it.

Whatever was involved in this secret trial we simply do not have the foggiest what went on - nothing to google.

Although we can google about men arrested for allegedly trespassing in Buck Palce. We can google about them supposedly being bailed - but nothing else. No names. No trial since. Nothing. It is June 2014 and we know nothing of what happened in September 2013 other than two men were arrested... and Prince Andrew threw a wobbly.

Didn't the IRA make a statement a while ago about targetting the banksters? I guess tptb wouldn't be too pleased to give them "the oxygen of publicity".

Whatever happened to "justice must be seen to be done..."?

I think you have put 2 and 2 together. And got 4.

Then again, if it were the Buck House guys, still why the secrecy?

1. Attempted assasination on the monarch - WOW! All sorts of rammifications.

2. Ruddy lousey security at Buckingham Palace - yes, they were arrested but allegedly one was found in a state room. But it makes security around the Royals look a joke.

3. Might curtail the Royals making loads of dosh from selling Buck House souvenirs to the thousands of visitors it receives each week? OK, probably not this one.

Yes, but that was reported in the press. You can google it and read it.

Whatever was involved in this secret trial we simply do not have the foggiest what went on - nothing to google.

Although we can google about men arrested for allegedly trespassing in Buck Palce. We can google about them supposedly being bailed - but nothing else. No names. No trial since. Nothing. It is June 2014 and we know nothing of what happened in September 2013 other than two men were arrested... and Prince Andrew threw a wobbly.

Yes - but I was just giving context to the NI situation being kept incredibly low key considering what is going on.

That's why I think if it was being taken to the next level - tptb may go to extra lengths to keep us proles from getting annoyed by it.

The palace angle is very interesting though.

Didn't the IRA make a statement a while ago about targetting the banksters? I guess tptb wouldn't be too pleased to give them "the oxygen of publicity".

Whatever happened to "justice must be seen to be done..."?

Can't remember - its mostly kept pretty hush.

Yes - but I was just giving context to the NI situation being kept incredibly low key considering what is going on.

That's why I think if it was being taken to the next level - tptb may go to extra lengths to keep us proles from getting annoyed by it.

The palace angle is very interesting though.

I hear what you are saying about Ireland.

Remember that guy who dressed up as Batman and climbed a security wall outside the Palace - for 48 hours he was headline news on the news channels and on the front page of every newspaper. Within hours of him doing it we knew everything about his life - his name, his job, his relationships, the names of his kids, etc, etc.

It is now June 2014 and we still know nothing about these two men allegedly arrested at Buck Palace in September of last year - 9 months ago.

If someone has made an attempt on the life of our Head of State and/or their family I want to know about it. I have a right to know about - if I am living in a democracy. Something that, on this day of all days, we should be mindful of.

Well I suppose the obvious clue would be what has happened to royal security since then ?

If this was a specific planned attack - it would be noticibly beefed up.