House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

How Many Staff Should A Ha With 12000 Homes Have?

Life is all about creating unnecessary jobs so that somebody can travel about with their laptop and look important. What's the point of University unless there is the reward of some desk job at a charity or housing association at the end of it. Think of all those team building exercises and other ways the staff can think up to fill their hours.

264 is my guess.

Guess based on a busy BTL landlord looking after 50 properties + 10% overhead for the inefficiencies of a large organization.

(12000/50)*1.1=264

Edited by Wurzel Of Highbridge

I'm guessing 200.

CHRIST ! I over-egged my guess as I expected a (public) sector like Housing Associations to be extremely inefficient, but wow!

1 staff per 27 houses is mind-blowingly bad.

Edited by Reck B

Then they've got to find work for them all.

Better install some new stuff, bathrooms, kitchens etc everywhere and give some refurb/maintenance work to the building cronies. Spin offs for solicitors and accountants etc then some debt for the banks etc. Better install a new computer system with a terminal for all. Some will be necessary of course.

It's just free money taxpayers' money.

Edited by billybong

Do they do all maintenance in house?

Their gas check vans are co-branded other companies I think.

But general maintenance appears to be fully branded them.

The article doesn't say how much of the 149M investment is being spent on taking 'customers' away from the current locations of offices.

"As well as being a beautiful space the glass atrium allows maximum daylight and helps ventilation and on top of the building is a green roof which encourages biodiversity. The building will be highly engineered to be incredibly energy-efficient and cheap to run."

Ooooh! They've got a webcam where you can see the progress of the new offices. Here's what it looks like right now:

2z7oc2e.jpg

Ah, glorious Oldham! (Although to be fair it's not much better here.)

Edited by Scunnered

Does that include staff to do the maintenance? If it doesn't its pretty high!

I expect the 1 BTLer looking after 50 properties will get external painters/decorators/plumbers/sparks/gardeners/deep cleaners/carpet fitters etc.

My ALMO employs 400 staff, and manages 23,000 Council properties and 800 leaseholder properties. If that is useful for comparison.

Management costs per tenant are £39.22 per week, which is apparently quite low compared to other ALMO's/HA's averaging £56.38

I think one of the cripplers is repairs on what is legacy, cheaply built properties.

Hardly seems to be a day goes by when a repair van isn't outside. Thats how BTL do it. No repairs!

Also a BTL's letting agents will do a lot of the administration.

Edited by aSecureTenant

So 1 person looks after 24 properties, lets say the average wage, pension and NI contribution and office space come to 45K per person .... thats around 2K per annum to pay for bureaucracy.

Only in Britain.

In the efficient private sector there are 562,000 estate agents (does that include letting agents?) to just manage the sales of the 23,000,000 private sector properties.

How do we reckon that compares to this HA?

HA are big jobs for the boys and girls at the top now - VERY big salaries. Well into six figures is common for senior managers in HAs.

Here is a link to the salaries of chief execs of numerous UK HAs in 2012/13.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/journals/2013/09/19/d/e/w/CEO_survey_main_table.pdf

Makes me feel like the Wilson deserve all the money they got.

On a related topic, does anyone know what the average annual spend on maintenance is? I bet it's many times what shamateur landlords spend (which is approximately f. all IME)

Oldham's solid Labour isn't it?

Not all HAs will be so inefficient, HAs are not in themselves a bad idea.

Jobs for the boys.

My ALMO employs 400 staff, and manages 23,000 Council properties and 800 leaseholder properties. If that is useful for comparison.

Management costs per tenant are £39.22 per week, which is apparently quite low compared to other ALMO's/HA's averaging £56.38

I think one of the cripplers is repairs on what is legacy, cheaply built properties.

Hardly seems to be a day goes by when a repair van isn't outside. Thats how BTL do it. No repairs!

Also a BTL's letting agents will do a lot of the administration.

My house was built in the 1890's and that sounds high to me, particularly as they might have economies of scale for some things like insurance.