House Price Crash Forum

Henk Potts, Barclays Analyst, Media V.i. Bull

Spoony

HOLA441

Every morning Talksport 'cross over' (at 7.30AM) to Henk Potts, an analyst at Barclays Stockbrokers. Today he said that the predictions of doom and gloom about the housing market crash have turned out to be untrue. He said that the recent nationwide figures have shown that the market has stabilised. And so say Right Move who have said prices are now rising.

About 6 weeks ago he said on Talksport again that so confidently that prices will not crash and came out with all the usual crap about supply and demand, high employment etc. He may have been spouting more bull more often on there but I don't listen to TalkSport much..

Another story that was plastered all over the BBC and co. was this one from Friday, July 02, 2004

"Henk Potts, an analyst at Barclays Stockbrokers, said that despite the slowdown, he did not believe the housing market was heading for a crash. "There are signs that it has been slowing down but interest rates are not the only thing that drive house prices," he said."

I think we should start a HPC campaign against this guy because he has quite a high profile and high exposure to the media with his V.I. Bull. He does pieces on Working Lunch (BBC TV) and all sorts of newspapers.

HOLA442

I find his bit on London's LBC in the morning very amusing. He works for a firm of stockbrokers and their job is to sell shares, but if the tide is against him, he can hardly stop it. Leave the poor fellow alone. I hardly think that not believing that a house price crash is around the corner is justification for a hate campaign.

HOLA443

I find his bit on London's LBC in the morning very amusing. He works for a firm of stockbrokers and their job is to sell shares, but if the tide is against him, he can hardly stop it. Leave the poor fellow alone. I hardly think that not believing that a house price crash is around the corner is justification for a hate campaign.

I don't have a problem with his beliefs if he really thinks that house prices won't crash. The problem that he is an analyst and should give a more balanced view on his daily broadcasts. Especially to Talk Sport listeners who on the whole aren't very financially minded.

His views are typical of anyone who works for an institution that sells mortgages - he has a vested interest in house prices not collapsing, for his employers profits and the good of the general economy.

HOLA444
  • 2 years later...
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Every morning Talksport 'cross over' (at 7.30AM) to Henk Potts, an analyst at Barclays Stockbrokers. Today he said that the predictions of doom and gloom about the housing market crash have turned out to be untrue. He said that the recent nationwide figures have shown that the market has stabilised. And so say Right Move who have said prices are now rising.

About 6 weeks ago he said on Talksport again that so confidently that prices will not crash and came out with all the usual crap about supply and demand, high employment etc. He may have been spouting more bull more often on there but I don't listen to TalkSport much..

Another story that was plastered all over the BBC and co. was this one from Friday, July 02, 2004

"Henk Potts, an analyst at Barclays Stockbrokers, said that despite the slowdown, he did not believe the housing market was heading for a crash. "There are signs that it has been slowing down but interest rates are not the only thing that drive house prices," he said."

I think we should start a HPC campaign against this guy because he has quite a high profile and high exposure to the media with his V.I. Bull. He does pieces on Working Lunch (BBC TV) and all sorts of newspapers.

I dont listen to that station anymore.

I woke up one morning (insert blues guitar riff here) and heard Ronnie Irani and Potts discussing some champagne quaffing lig theyd been on and just turned it off. That was 3 months ago.

Talksport dropped the ball firng James Whale and i simply avoid it now.

Soul rotting goo. Always was.

Potts, Brazil and Irani in the morning.

HHOOOOOAAAAARGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Thats better.....

HOLA449

Who wants to be a millionaire? Because if you do the quickest way to do so would be to do the exact opposite

to what Henk Potts advises. End of last year, beginning of this year, he wouldn't let a day go by without advising

banks were the thing to be in for 2008 as they were over sold and the time then was to buy. Most have since

fallen by around 75%. He also said there will be no housing crash as what was happening in America wouldn't

affect the UK.

He obviously doesn't take note of mortgage approvals, Halifax or Nationwide stats, actually that's a lie. Because

all last year when they were showing rises he couldn't wait to shout it from the treetops. The man's a total waste

of space when it comes to financial advise, and a muppet too.

Edited by time 2 raise interest rates

HOLA4410

Henk Potts' blunder of the year had to be on the day of the May interest rate hold by the BoE, he spent a whole

five minutes after the announcement convincing the listeners that interest rates would definitely be cut in June

and that interest rates would end the year at 4.25%. As we all now know the money markets are pricing interest

rates to end the year at 5.75%. If that is the case he'll only be a 150 base points out.

HOLA4411

Its a funny old recession!

Its a recession of two halves!

they think the recession is all over!

two win in this recession, you just give 110%.

The recession would have bottomed out but the ref saw it differently.

HOLA4412

The bulls seem to be pointing the finger at the 'doom-mongering' press, accusing them of talking the market down. Perhaps they feel that if the media, HPC etc. are having a downward influence, then talking up and peddling denial might, after all, have the opposite effect.

New first time buyers would all benefit from much lower house prices, and so would anyone wishing to trade up to a bigger house. High and rising house prices is not something people should expect as of right.

Edited by blankster

HOLA4413
BUMP: I bet Potts feels silly now.

I haven't listened to talksport in a long time. Is Henk Potts still talking up house prices? I bet he is

He does not seem to be - I heard him this morning, talking of "crisis" in the housing market.

HOLA4414

I wonder how many of the 20,000 odd who took out a 100% mortgages last year, only now to find themselves in

negative equity, done so on the advice of muppets like Henk Potts, who to all intents and purposes should be

sacked immediately as 95% of the time he hasn't a clue what he's talking about, and unsuspecting listeners

may take his advice for real.

On reflection, most at Talksport are rather clueless but funny all the same. Last year the two breakfast show

presenters were advising parents to remortgage to stump up a deposit for their children and as little as a few

weeks ago John Gaunt was advising people to buy in Cyprus. It's all well and good doing so, so long as at

the end they let the listeners know by saying I really haven't a clue what I'm talking about and take my

advice with a pinch of salt.

HOLA4415

I've expressed my opinion about this chap quite a few times on here. It's always been a negative opinion. Hope he breaks his neck the next time he jaunts off to the Alps for a weekend Skiing break.

It all stemmed from a comment he made one morning when talking about profits being down at a major brewers. He suggested that this was because sophisticated people drank champagne and cocktails and that only the grubby underclass drank Bitter and Ale these days. (Not a direct quote, but it was along these lines)

Hated the bloke ever since. Harsh, and without much of a valid reason, but I hate him. Oh, that and him always talking the market up, but he is a Barclay's Bull.

HOLA4416

I heard Jon Gaunt talking about peoples right to buy a house last week, leaving it empty to get the 'capital appreciation' (!!!) and peoples right to do this without squatters moving in. The topic was about all the empty houses in the UK.

Talksport is crap - whoever sacked James Whale is an idiot. Theres nobody on there really worth listening to now. Charlie Wolf was good too, but they got rid of him too.

Edited by Spoony

HOLA4417
I heard Jon Gaunt talking about peoples right to buy a house last week, leaving it empty to get the 'capital appreciation' (!!!) and peoples right to do this without squatters moving in. The topic was about all the empty houses in the UK.

Talksport is crap - whoever sacked James Whale is an idiot. Theres nobody on there really worth listening to now. Charlie Wolf was good too, but they got rid of him too.

Good to see you spelt his name correctly as in Jon. Tends to get on his high horse when people spell it as I have

in the previous post. Not that I listen to Talksport that much, lol. I may phone him one day to show him the error

of his ways but he'll probably cut me off as he does with all who disagree with his views.

HOLA4418

henk has a few properties in docklands & has enticed a few people into buying an apartment there including Alan Brazil.

What i find amazing is that these "new kids on the block" only think that properties only increase in value.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I listen to talksport en-route to work during the footy season and can assure everyone that when that twonk starts talking 99% of the listeners mentally switch, the conversation is a mix of champagne quaffing gumpf mixed with sking in the alps and then he chucks in some sort of crap to do with the economy. By that time the drone of his voice is enough to either turn it down or bang on a cd.

It really is the wrong target audience.

It`s just not Football :lol:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425