House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brainclamp

Tory Leadership

Personally I want Davis to win.

I am totally fed up with the same poltico-connected class of oxbridge lawyers and 'professional polticians (i.e. haven't done any real work)' with thier fingers in numeroius 'directorships' and other pies dominating every position of power in the country. Yes - I know - I have just described the current Labour party, but the same tendancies exist in the Tory party.

Davis, a council house kid brought up by a single mum who has at least went through some real hardship stands a good chance of really representing this country - and increasing the parties membership dramatically. He is focused at honest political debate - going to implementation detail - tackling the glaring problems much discussed on here.

He attempts to give details of how he will do this, without glib soundbites and unsubstatiated promises.

Unfortunately, it looks like the media have deterimined that Cameron is much like Blair with headline sound-good phrases without any delivery and is thus the favorite.

Edited by brainclamp

I am totally fed up with the same poltico-connected class of oxbridge lawyers and 'professional polticians (i.e. haven't done any real work)' with thier fingers in numeroius 'directorships' and other pies dominating every position of power in the country. Yes - I know - I have just described the current Labour party, but the same tendancies exist in the Tory party.

Davis, a council house kid brought up by a single mum who has at least went through some real hardship stands a good chance of really representing this country - and increasing the parties membership dramatically. He is focused at honest political debate - going to implementation detail - tackling the glaring problems much discussed on here.

He attempts to give details of how he will do this, without glib soundbites and unsubstatiated promises.

Unfortunately, it looks like the media have deterimined that Cameron is much like Blair with headline sound-good phrases without any delivery and is thus the favorite.

https://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=involved.join.page

I urge you to pay the few quid - join the party and vote for Davis. It's not much of a price for a chance of a real change in politics.

I totally agree with you. However, Cameron is now a foregone conclusion and very likely to be Prime minister after the next election.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Cameron and his wife the next Tony and Cherie Blair full of wind and bling all IMHO of course.

Opps - In order to qualify for voting rights all new conservative members must have been a member for at least three months.

Looks like Cameron is the Guardian's favorite. Good on soundbites - no real policy detail. Its a foregone conclusion then - nothing to do with the membership!

In the showdown of David and Gordon, there's only one Goliath

Cameron will make the next election a real contest - but he's got a lot of catching up to do in key areas of policy

Irwin Stelzer

Wednesday November 30, 2005

The Guardian

Now we know, or will soon: Britain will have to choose between Gordon Brown and David Cameron to lead the country into the next decade, one in which the winds of change are blowing at gale force. It is too early for us to guess whether Cameron's sunny optimism means he knows how to get to the bright future he sees, or whether the dour chancellor is the more likely to lead Britain to the sunlit plains of permanent prosperity. But it is not too early to set a framework within which the decision can best be made.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/toryleader/...1653695,00.html

Edited by brainclamp

Cameron is the more likely to beat Gordon Brown at the ballot box.

Especially since we'll be well in to recession by then, the making of the Primeminister and then Chancellor.

I couldn't agree more. I hate the way the media seems to have the power to 'decide' what is going to happen (based seemingly on who is more 'media friendly' and therefore likely to be useful in selling papers). Unfortunately, their decision to tell everyone it's a foregone conclusion will probably work. I haven't seen any real evidence for WHY it's a foregone conclusion - other than that journalists think it should be so.

We have to hope that the Conservatives who get to vote are not blinded by media spin.

I do not think he will - And if he does will anything really change? His economic soundbites sound just the same as this lot!

Guest rigsby II

We have to hope that the Conservatives who get to vote are not blinded by media spin.

Or the rose-tinted spectacles of how marvellous they were the last time they were in power.

Does anyone really think that had the toryscum party been in power they would have not made as big a bolleaux of house price inflation as this Labour shower ?

It would have been just as bad if not worse.

Or the rose-tinted spectacles of how marvellous they were the last time they were in power.

Does anyone really think that had the toryscum party been in power they would have not made as big a bolleaux of house price inflation as this Labour shower ?

It would not be as bad. We, as a nation would not have given the workshy Idle layabouts the benefits we have, all costing taxes, rather, under the tories, we would have let the B*ggers starve. and rightly so.

Yes, maybe you're right. I don't like either party that much, but I think change is probably a good thing every so often - even if only for the sake of removing complacency in the ruling party (i.e. you can get voted out). It would be nice for NuLab to at least be scared that they might not win the next election.

Guest rigsby II

Yes, maybe you're right. I don't like either party that much, but I think change is probably a good thing every so often.

The only reason that Labour got in, in 1997 was because the Tories were just so bad and sleazy.

The only reason the Tories would ever get in is because Labour is so bad.

Not because any party was actually any good.

Has it ever been different post WWII - I think not.

Sad really...

I actually breathed a sigh of relief when Labour got in, in 1997 - time for change and all that.

What a let down that was...

:)

Cameron is full of **** just like Blair; and worse he models himself around Blair. Quite frankly, I'd rather vote for Gordon Brown.

Cameron is full of **** just like Blair; and worse he models himself around Blair. Quite frankly, I'd rather vote for Gordon Brown.

Bring back maggie -it was her policies that Liarbour stole to suit their own purposes. It will take someone of Her calibre to sort the mess that Tony and Gordon have left in their wake!

Guest rigsby II

It would not be as bad. We, as a nation would not have given the workshy Idle layabouts the benefits we have, all costing taxes, rather, under the tories, we would have let the B*ggers starve. and rightly so.

You're all heart :D

The thing is I heard it all through the 80s, short-sharp-shock, stop immigration, cut benefits, cut scrounging etc etc, the Tories were just as powerless to change it, even if the rhetoric was that they wanted to, they didn't - or couldn't

It's going to have to be Cameron if you want the Conservatives to win at the next election. He's better looking.

I'm afraid you are more right than you think!!!....we have entered the pop-idol school of politics.

...they don't have to be immensely talented,just photogenic.

......if seb coe had stood then labour would have been utterly beaten.

.......well known olympian,not too extreme,gets things done....he won us the 2012 olympics,and pleasing on the eye for the ladies(and probably a few gents!)

instead we have a choice between a grey,stale old man with some good ideas....or a young whippersnapper of a hooray-henry who has no idea how totally soul destroying working at tesco's can be.

...oh and to boot he knows bugger all about cocktails,even though he was a director of a pubby/clubby chain.

fills you with confidence dunnit?

Sadly not worth debating it`s Cameron, it ensures two things, our politics further resemble the US, in effect two right wing tory parties fighting over the downtrodden dillusionist middle class. Secondly, as revealed here some weeks ago, he is modern day aristocracy ensuring that the real powers in Central Europe have massive political sway over our impotent central government.

It wouldn`t surprise me if this drug issue was deliberately instigated by his own pr people in order to give him the opportunity to appear as if he was keeping it real :P

Any wonder John Major of the Carlyle group is quietly championing him. Strange how JM is now obscenely wealthy...democracy..marvelous isn`t it :(

Davis, a council house kid ...

What's so special about that? Half the Tory activists in the country were brought up on council estates! Most are desperate to forget the fact by living in Barrett estate houses with mock entrance pillars and joining the geriatric club - The Tory Party! Being brought up in a council flat is the only 'quality' that Davis seems to have. And, Little Lord Fontleroy Cameron? He doesn't even have that benefit! A second class William Hague and remember what happened to him. And, a druggy at that.

p

What's so special about that? Half the Tory activists in the country were brought up on council estates! Most are desperate to forget the fact by living in Barrett estate houses with mock entrance pillars and joining the geriatric club - The Tory Party! Being brought up in a council flat is the only 'quality' that Davis seems to have. And, Little Lord Fontleroy Cameron? He doesn't even have that benefit! A second class William Hague and remember what happened to him. And, a druggy at that.

p

Davis was in the territorial SAS. :unsure:

Davis was in the territorial SAS. :unsure:

So? Does the training to hide in a hedge for five days in County Armagh create a Prime Minister?

Sounds a little like the sort of comments heard that Ian Duncan Smith would be good for the Tory Party because of his six years experience in the army! He was of much more value to the Labour Party.

p

So? Does the training to hide in a hedge for five days in County Armagh create a Prime Minister?

Sounds a little like the sort of comments heard that Ian Duncan Smith would be good for the Tory Party because of his six years experience in the army! He was of much more value to the Labour Party.

p

Does hanging around the dreaming spires of Oxford for 3 years make a Prime Minister??

Tony Blair is about to give up the farmers rebate cash so all hell will break loose. They'll not be happy which means we don't get chance to be happy.

Which ever one wins and I think Cameron has a better chance against labour mainly because he's less tory and more smary tony than davis.

Sad to say but we should let Lib dems have a play at power.

Guest Riser

I don't think Brown will be PM long enough to make the election, he will probably boot Blair out soon after Christmas then face a vote of no confidence from his party as the economy crashes. He will have no where to hide once he is PM and the public will soon grow sick and tired of the arogant bafoon.

I would like Cameron to win simply because of the way Davis's camp tried to spin the Canabis issue. I wont forget Davis stood outside Westminister saying the spin had nothing to do with him after spending a day focusing on his policy to address drug taking in the middle classes.

Edited by Riser