House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Europe Calls On Uk Govt To Increase Taxes

http://news.sky.com/story/1274183/europe-calls-on-uk-govt-to-increase-taxes

"The European Commission has urged the UK Government to raise taxes.

The European Union's executive body called on the Government to expand the tax base to aid deficit reduction, saying policy had so far been "heavily skewed" to spending cuts."

Cuts......what cuts ?

Was it the moneyweek video I posted recently that said taxation would increase heavily....well here it comes.

TPTB are robbing us blind.

Obviously the Eurosceptics are against higher council tax on more expensive properties. I mean what sort of houses do Farage and his mates live in?

"Eurosceptic body Business for Britain said the European Commission should "spend more time worrying about how it makes the EU more competitive rather than suggesting how to hamstring the UK economy with high taxes"."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-27675294

The UK is already in an extremely high tax environment, with very high cost of living and inadequate wages for the most.

Government is just stupid.

They dont see their own fat as being a problem

They do see everyone else needs to hand over some of their food to keep the oh so vital services going...and seeing the populace suffer means they will obviously need more services and handouts from an ever enlarging government capable of doing it.

As Injin used to say, the problem involving Government always sees more Government in the solution.

The UK is already in an extremely high tax environment, with very high cost of living and inadequate wages for the most.

Or alternatively low taxes, low cost of living and obscene levels of pay for the 1%.

Or alternatively low taxes, low cost of living and obscene levels of pay for the 1%.

Yes, that too

IMO that last thing we need is more tax on earnings! Why the hell do we punish people for going out to work but reward them for accepting dead auntie's unearnt housing equity?

Why the hell do we punish people for going out to work but reward them for accepting dead auntie's unearnt housing equity?

Rentiers fund the political parties and auntie bothers to vote (when alive).

http://news.sky.com/story/1274183/europe-calls-on-uk-govt-to-increase-taxes

"The European Commission has urged the UK Government to raise taxes.

The European Union's executive body called on the Government to expand the tax base to aid deficit reduction, saying policy had so far been "heavily skewed" to spending cuts."

Cuts......what cuts ?

Was it the moneyweek video I posted recently that said taxation would increase heavily....well here it comes.

TPTB are robbing us blind.

They're pointing out that UK property taxes are deeply regressive which they are.

They're suggesting that TPTB reduce taxes on lower end properties and increase them on higher value properties.

Unless you're a billionaire one would have thought you might welcome more progressive taxation and for pressure to be put on curbing house price increases.

Bloke round the corner earns c. £150,000 per week. Pays £3000 council tax. Not sure why you or your UKIP friends think that's remotely progressive or fair or think it's outrageous and unfair for you if he pays significantly more.

Edited by R K

They're pointing out that UK property taxes are deeply regressive which they are.

They're suggesting that TPTB reduce taxes on lower end properties and increase them on higher value properties.

Unless you're a billionaire one would have thought you might welcome more progressive taxation and for pressure to be put on curbing house price increases.

Bloke round the corner earns c. £150,000 per week. Pays £3000 council tax. Not sure why you or your UKIP friends think that's remotely progressive or fair or think it's outrageous and unfair for you if he pays significantly more.

There is a disconnect between income and the property you live in. I think most on here might welcome higher taxes on property anyway to prise the million pound mansion off the proverbial income poor widow.

All tax is theft. I am happy to pay a moderate amount of tax for society to function.

The 60%+ I currently pay is too much.

More tax of any kind is not the solution...less tax is. Everyone should pay their way in life and pay their share of a basica amount of taxation.

The problem is the people taking the tax just keep taking more as they see it as their right.

Europe Calls On UK Govt To Increase Taxes
In the wake of eurosceptic UKIP's poll victory, Brussels urges the UK to hike council tax charges for those in expensive homes.

The European Commission has urged the UK Government to raise taxes and rein in its Help To Buy scheme.

Increase council tax on expensive houses and rein in Help to Buy.

Who knows but there might be some positives in the suggestions. The UK should have a referendum on it. There should be an open discussion and a vote on each item.

Edited by billybong

There is a disconnect between income and the property you live in. I think most on here might welcome higher taxes on property anyway to prise the million pound mansion off the proverbial income poor widow.

first they came for the widows,

but I wasnt a widow so I didnt care

first they came for the widows,

but I wasnt a widow so I didnt care

Indeed, actually I quite like low council taxes; it suits thrifty types. I love discretionary taxes....excise duty, VAT and most of all lotto.

Obviously the Eurosceptics are against higher council tax on more expensive properties. I mean what sort of houses do Farage and his mates live in?

"Eurosceptic body Business for Britain said the European Commission should "spend more time worrying about how it makes the EU more competitive rather than suggesting how to hamstring the UK economy with high taxes"."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-27675294

Give it a rest.

Indeed, actually I quite like low council taxes; it suits thrifty types. I love discretionary taxes....excise duty, VAT and most of all lotto.

Its people like you, paying taxes, that keeps austerity from occuring.

The widow in the big house will spend less on her housing, but moving her to a small place will benefit no-one other than the anxious property speculator in the current market.

Prime Minister David Cameron described the EU as "too big, too bossy, too interfering" last week, but a Treasury spokesman said the recommendations were "in line" with the Government's approach.

More hypocrisy from one of the biggest and bossiest of interferers with house prices and people's lives in general.

Then the Treasury steps in to complete the Mutt and Jeff, yes/no, double bind act.

Reining in Help to Buy in line with the Government's approach? If that's not blatant doublespeak then there should be an immediate announcement reining in Help to Buy.

Edited by billybong

Its people like you, paying taxes, that keeps austerity from occuring.

The widow in the big house will spend less on her housing, but moving her to a small place will benefit no-one other than the anxious property speculator in the current market.

Love those indirect taxes because my drawing are low, only business car mileage pulls in any decent tax from my pocket. I reckon we would have severe austerity if people spent like I did. (don't like council tax because it is unavoidable)

Edited by crashmonitor

Matthew Elliott, chief executive of Business for Britain, said: "This is further evidence that the EU should be let nowhere near tax policy of its member states.

"Leaders in Brussels appear not have taken on board the resounding message from the recent elections that Britain wants less interference from the continent, not more."

The United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP) gathers more and more support.

Nobody seems to have mentioned that the Eurozone are flirting ever closer with deflation...another 0.2% off todayand it stands at 0.5%.

If anything will kill house price inflation, deflation might be the surprise factor. Nobody wants debt in a deflationary environment...look at Japan.

The BBC News article commenters weren't happy with this, much wailing and gnashing of teeth :lol::lol::lol:

They did have a fair point that if council tax is supposed to represent use of council services why is it based on house value? How much does council tax actually bring in each year? Would it be easier from an administrative point of view to slightly increase income tax to cover it then distribute the funds to councils? Not saying I'm for that as such, just curious.

Dear lord, barely anything has been cut.

Austerity is a brainlessly stupid idea anyway that has 0% chance of working. You have to wonder how the morons-that-be could think that having practically every nation in europe cutting all at the same time, might be in anyway be positive.

Given that even core nations like the netherlands are seeing their economies shrink, it won't be long before that collapsing demand pushes germany into recession too. It's going to be mightly amusing to see germany get some of the pain it's inflicted on eveyone else.

Our tory overlords used to think it was great too. We might as well have bill and ben the flower pet men in charge for all that cameron and osborne know of macro-economics.

IMO that last thing we need is more tax on earnings! Why the hell do we punish people for going out to work but reward them for accepting dead auntie's unearnt housing equity?

+1

Income tax should be replaced with land value tax.