House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Two Weeks Left To Save The World From "digital Plague"

US experts have warned computer users that they have at most 2 weeks to protect their computers from a computer virus that will empty their bank accounts and sell their daughters into slavery. Law enforcement agencies have said they have ring fenced the largest botnet ever observed but can only hold back the flood for a a couple of weeks at most.

Andy Archibald, deputy director of the NCA's National Cyber Crime Unit warned that "Users have a two-week window, Whether you find online security complicated or confusing, or simply haven’t thought about keeping your personal or office computers safe for a while, now is the time to take action. For pities sake, remove any operating systems whose name begins with Windows* and install the free open source system Linux on your machines."

Will it be worse than the Y2k bug? :blink:

It seems the virus relies on the user clicking a compromised link, from what I read on the BBC website. I think the fact it checks the language of your keyboard and if it's Russian apparently it does nothing.

v2-Gameover.jpg

GameOver Zeus – tailored by a criminal gang based in Russia and the Ukraine – is estimated to already have been responsible for $100m (£60m) in losses
The Indy goes a bit wail!

Yeah, me too - I'm running a Mac.

The last story I read on a large viral attack was one specifically aimed at Macs.

The last story I read on a large viral attack was one specifically aimed at Macs.

Yes Mac users have more money, or they did at one time anyway! :huh:

Yeah, me too - I'm running a Mac.

This Stephen-Fry level of smugness of Mac users will be their downfall.

You do realise you're on the same internet as those grubby Windows users don't you?