House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wonderpup

What's The Difference Between Democracy And Populism?

I ask because one of the common accusations thrown at UKIP of late is that it is not so much democratic as 'populist'- with the latter clearly being pitched as a bad thing.

To me this seems a really odd distinction given how much time and money all political parties spend trying become and remain 'popular'- for the obvious reason that an unpopular party is unlikely to win an election.

So being populist is the central ambition of all political parties, not just UKIP.

That being so the only definition of 'populism' I can come up with is the following;

'A populist party is a party that advocates ideas that I don't like but that are popular among voters'. But the problem with this definition is that it could apply to any party whose policies I don't like.

One other interpretation is possible- a populist is someone who appeals to a lot of people I don't like- and in the case of UKIP those people would be the growing list of losers in the brave new globalized economy.

And it's this meaning I think those who use this term in an abusive way have in mind- it's not UKIP's policies they object to so much as the rabble he is rousing from their grubby slumber.

My take:

Democracy= majority rule, through representatives, with minority rights.

Populism= simplistic solutions to problems that have superficial appeal but generally disintegrate on examination.

It's a shame they get confused as the public debate/discussion part of democracy seems to me more important than hoping to elect a few super humans who can work everything out. Labelling this 'populism' is just a cheap jibe by those who think they automatically know best.

I agree with your take but I think the problem is that UKIP identify some problems but the solutions ARE populist, they just don't stack up. They have turned an important point on EU and democracy into what causes all of this country's political, economic and social problems, it just doesn't stack up

Elizabeth Warren is also getting heavily criticised for being "populist". The term is overtly used to indicate that a policy is naive and unworkable, but it clearly has covert anti-democratic undertones.

I guess in theory, democrats bring the electorate round to their way of thinking via plausible, provable arguments.

Populists kowtow to the electorate and tell them what they want to hear, whether its based on prejudice or not.

In practice, they all lie, tell a section of the electorate they think is big enough to give them a majority (ie NIMBYs) what they think they want to hear, and then thieve as much as they can after being elected.

Elizabeth Warren is also getting heavily criticised for being "populist". The term is overtly used to indicate that a policy is naive and unworkable, but it clearly has covert anti-democratic undertones.

Indeed, UKIP is hated by the establishment because their (now-ex) MEP who dared mention the beast whose name cannot be spoken. He obviously had to go, and quick.

http://www.ukipmeps.org/articles_673_Godfrey-Bloom-The-whole-banking-system-is-a-scam.html

Secondly, their dislike of giveaways to landowners in favour of proven, cheap Thorium power is a threat to those tories whose great grandparents and other ancestors slaughtered so many for subsidies...purely for stealing land.

http://www.ukipmeps.org/uploads/file/energy-policy-2014-f-20-09-2013.pdf

Edited by Executive Sadman

Appealing to those voters whose preferences and opinions have been ignored for decades through lies, deceit and dishonesty = populist.

Appealing to voters with policies that have previously been promised and then reneged on = populist.

I guess in theory, democrats bring the electorate round to their way of thinking via plausible, provable arguments.

Populists kowtow to the electorate and tell them what they want to hear, whether its based on prejudice or not.

In practice, they all lie, tell a section of the electorate they think is big enough to give them a majority (ie NIMBYs) what they think they want to hear, and then thieve as much as they can after being elected.

Yup, that pretty much it.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's right or good.

Housing and house prices are the perfect example, take HPI the "popular" opinion before the recession was that it is a good thing as it made people richer, the odious Brown even boasted about it during the 2005 general election campaign.

Populism is also heart over mind, how many UKIP voters actually know or gave a moments thought to the matter that if the UK left the EU they might only be able to bring in 200 cigarettes and 1L of vodka/whiskey when coming back from their holiday in Spain?

Yup, that pretty much it.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's right or good.

Housing and house prices are the perfect example, take HPI the "popular" opinion before the recession was that it is a good thing as it made people richer, the odious Brown even boasted about it during the 2005 general election campaign.

Populism is also heart over mind, how many UKIP voters actually know or gave a moments thought to the matter that if the UK left the EU they might only be able to bring in 200 cigarettes and 1L of vodka/whiskey when coming back from their holiday in Spain?

Last time I got fags from a european airport they had one price for 'EU travellers' and one, lower price for 'non-EU travellers'

So the EU screws us there, too.

Democracy is what LibLabCon do - they put a programme forward which most people disagree with and you have a choice - which of the three do you disagree with least?

Populism is actually puting forward proposals that people can agree with and vote for positively.

In other words, democratic = sham; populism = true will of the people.

Last time I got fags from a european airport they had one price for 'EU travellers' and one, lower price for 'non-EU travellers'

So the EU screws us there, too.

indeed.

should be better to "harmonise" with the other commonwealth countries too.

lets say a fair limit for all...800 or 1000 fags and a couple of litres of grog for everybody.