House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Petition - 4% Cgt On Houses Not Occupied By The Owner

Capital Gains Tax is levied at the point of sale. Also CGT on houses which aren't the principle private residence IS charged currently and is levied at a higher rate than 4%. Your petition taken at face value is asking for something that is more lenient than the current situation and likely to encourage more foreign "investment" not less.

I don't think you mean CGT, I think you mean a 4% per annum wealth tax.

Capital Gains Tax is levied at the point of sale. Also CGT on houses which aren't the principle private residence IS charged currently and is levied at a higher rate than 4%. Your petition taken at face value is asking for something that is more lenient than the current situation and likely to encourage more foreign "investment" not less.

28% CGT on non-prime residences, IIRC.

The wealth tax could be used to change behaviour, ie force sales, but as a revenue raising device, the numbers dont add up.

You're right.... a 4% annual wealth tax on properties not lived in by the owner would make more sense....

There is no CGT on foriegn owners of UK property right now. It comes in July 2015. DYOR, but when you find you agree tell as many people as you can that it has not been in place for decades, effectively meaning UK citizens have been paying much more tax that foriegn owners...

Was this the e-petition that sprung from this thread?

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=198750&hl=

Or is it a coincidence that they speak of a 4% tax?

Yes it is the e-petition which sprung from the James Andrews article Property is a Bubble we Need to Burst. So did the Hiace Drifter slip up by naming the 4% CGT , was James Andrews suggesting a completely new tax?

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/property-is-a-bubble-we-need-to-burst-this-is-how-153525355.html

Edited by Dweller

Could this e-petition be worded in a way that author of the original article meant ?

What was the James Andrews article Property is a Bubble we Need to Burst , trying to say?