House Price Crash Forum

Advice From In-Laws - We Need To Move Somewhere Cheaper

HOLA441

On the weekend my in-laws said the reason we can't afford to buy anywhere is because we live in such a desireable area (south coast). They said we should move somewhere less desirable.

Hmmm, if you take this forward to a logical conclusion: all nurses, teachers, shop workers, facotry workers need to move out of the south and move up north.

I think that is denying the true source of the problem!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I should add one of them bought an average house on a newly qualified teacher's salary in late 70s.... in the very same desirable area we're being told to move from.

HOLA446

On the weekend my in-laws said the reason we can't afford to buy anywhere is because we live in such a desireable area (south coast). They said we should move somewhere less desirable.

Hmmm, if you take this forward to a logical conclusion: all nurses, teachers, shop workers, facotry workers need to move out of the south and move up north.

I think that is denying the true source of the problem!

Sorry I agree with them. And if teachers shop workers and nurses can't afford to live there then the people who can afford to live there will have to commute to the areas where they live.

HOLA447

Sorry I agree with them. And if teachers shop workers and nurses can't afford to live there then the people who can afford to live there will have to commute to the areas where they live.

They have already left..........fortunately for the Metropolitan elite there is a willing immigrant population waiting to take their place and put up with squalid slave quarters.........look at Jersey and London, for example.

HOLA448

I should add one of them bought an average house on a newly qualified teacher's salary in late 70s.... in the very same desirable area we're being told to move from.

That is the problem. A lot of that generation feel like they have acheived so much because they made an easy decision to buy a house 40 years ago and now it is impossible for younger people in an equivalent or better position to do the same. In reality, their house has probably 'earned' more than they have, so how much of an acheivement actually is it?

I have met some people in that generation who are starting to get it, mainly because their pride at their great acheivement is offset by the worry that their kids will not be able to buy a house at all, but most don't even seem to care about that.

HOLA449

So how much do houses cost in this desirable area?

My house in Gloucester is worth £180,000 If the house that you are after cost more than that should I feel sorry for you that you can't afford it?

HOLA4410

So how much do houses cost in this desirable area?

My house in Gloucester is worth £180,000 If the house that you are after cost more than that should I feel sorry for you that you can't afford it?

You should be appalled that simple houses are now unaffordable for high earners of this generation when they were easily affordable to low earners in the previous generation.

You should further be appalled that this prior generation expects their own children to have a lower standard of living than they did despite being more qualified and working more.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

You should be appalled that simple houses are now unaffordable for high earners of this generation when they were easily affordable to low earners in the previous generation.

You should further be appalled that this prior generation expects their own children to have a lower standard of living than they did despite being more qualified and working more.

Even If the house he thinks he is entitled to is worth more than mine? I will have a think about that one.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

You're comparing apples with oranges and are fixated on "worth".

Are you a boomer by any chance?

I have full sympathy with the young trying to get a basic house in an area they can afford. I have more empathy with the young that live in the area that the OP thinks is beneath him.

Some ones needs yes some ones greed no.

HOLA4415

Young people should be given back the right to build their own homes, like the previous generation did.

You see all those boomer houses and bunnglaows in the edge of the village and towns? They are only there because the law allowed them to build homes for themselves. This right has since been removed.

HOLA4416

I have full sympathy with the young trying to get a basic house in an area they can afford. I have more empathy with the young that live in the area that the OP thinks is beneath him.

Some ones needs yes some ones greed no.

Unless I've missed something I don't see the OP pointing out any area that he feels is beneath him, only that he can't afford to live where he wants to.

You're in Gloucester, he's somewhere on the South coast, a minimum of 90 miles away. So I don't see the logic in comparing the "worth" of your house with the "worth" of the one he would like to buy. Surely a more valid comparison would be the multiple of the average house x average wage in each area. But even then, he's probably competing against holiday home owners which you presumably aren't.

I also don't see anywhere that he has a sense of entitlement, but feel free to point out where Im wrong.

HOLA4417

The point I was trying to make, which most of you have picked up on, is that houses that used to be affordable by young teachers are now not affordible even to someone in late 30s earning more than a young teacher. I should have said "desirable" in inverted commas in the OP.... the area is very run of the mill!

Also, the implication from my in-laws was not to move a few miles up the road to a cheaper area, but to move to the other end of the country. My wife balked at this having just had two babies, and found her feet with a new circle of friends etc.

As it stands, what should be sensibly priced houses for us (3.5 x joint salary) are actually priced at 5x joint salary. My argument is that prices need to change, rather than us having to relocate. I certainly don't feel entitled to an enormous/expensive house - I just want a 3 bed end of terrace with a nice garden.

HOLA4418

I also don't see anywhere that he has a sense of entitlement, but feel free to point out where Im wrong.

Maybe I am miss reading it. But the title is:

Advice From In-Laws - We Need To Move Somewhere Cheaper

I am taking it from that there is an area within commuting distance with cheaper houses.

You maybe right I may have been unfair on the OP would have to know more about where he lives and house prices in the area around.

Cheltenham is about 10 miles from Gloucester. People will pay silly money to have a Cheltenham post code that's their choice I don't feel sorry for them.

HOLA4419

The point I was trying to make, which most of you have picked up on, is that houses that used to be affordable by young teachers are now not affordible even to someone in late 30s earning more than a young teacher. I should have said "desirable" in inverted commas in the OP.... the area is very run of the mill!

Also, the implication from my in-laws was not to move a few miles up the road to a cheaper area, but to move to the other end of the country. My wife balked at this having just had two babies, and found her feet with a new circle of friends etc.

As it stands, what should be sensibly priced houses for us (3.5 x joint salary) are actually priced at 5x joint salary. My argument is that prices need to change, rather than us having to relocate. I certainly don't feel entitled to an enormous/expensive house - I just want a 3 bed end of terrace with a nice garden.

I'd be arguing for salary increases for young teachers.

Most people on here would appear to argue teachers are overpaid layabouts and voting UKIP will slash govt. spending and put an end to their largesse.

Daughter is a teacher, but chooses to live up North 'cause London/SE would give her a sh1t life, living in a sh1t flat, in a sh1t area spending most of her income in rent.

Life's about choices.

HOLA4420

My apology's I take back everything I said

HOLA4421

No problem.... we would of course be happy to move a few miles into a cheaper area. However we're already in the cheapest area for 30 or 40 miles.

Edited by Guest

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

My response to my inlaws, if I can be bothered to talk to them, is that we now have a situation where 80% of houses can only be bought with sensible levels of debt by the top 20% of earners. Of course teachers/nurses etc should not be able to buy massive detached properties, but they can't even buy small terraces these days.

HOLA4425

Interesting OP, albeit not exactly what you might like to hear from people who are supposed to be part of the support network (I have found that nearest and dearest are more of a stress than a calming influence too, if it helps- you are not alone!).

I know people who are dependent on free childcare from grandparents in order to service dual income debts, and even if they live in a very expensive part of the UK they would have to find much cheaper housing to make up for losing free care.

The people I know who are dependent on free childcare are living in cheaper areas to start with, so they have a big problem imo. Their decision to buy of course, spectacular own goal imo. Probably define their adult lives for a couple of decades in the current environment of falling/static real wages.

Bank 1 (o.g.) Family 0.