House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Executive Sadman

The Tory Newark Candidate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2645084/Newark-election-Tory-candidate-Robert-Jenrick-says-just-three-homes-doesnt-mean-I-dont-know-life-breadline.html

Tory Newark by-election candidate Robert Jenrick rejects claims that he has covered up his and his wife’s £5 million property portfolio and £500,000-a-year joint earnings to try to win the Newark seat.

Mr Jenrick presents himself as a ‘father, local man, son of a secretary and small businessman and state primary school-educated’ candidate.

In fact, he and American wife Michal own not one, but two, £2 million homes in London and a £1 million country pile built by an 18th Century slave-trader.

Their Newark ‘home’ is a rented house obtained when he was picked as a candidate six months ago.

And his Party CV omits to say he went to a £13,000-a-year private secondary school.

Would be nice if UKIP scare the crap out of Cameron some more and win the seat. Unlikely, but we can hope.

State primary school eh!!

Must be a man of the people....... :)

Its a disingenuous piece and out of character for the DM for a Tory candidate. Maybe they are switching camps?

You say unlikely... It's a Tory seat to lose and all this sort of stuff won't impress the electorate.... Maybe their candidate's background will become a liability in the run up to Thursday.

Would love it!! Love it if UKIP won. It would certainly give Angela Merkel something to think about along with CMD suggestion that the referendum be fast tracked if Junker (or whatever his name is, did they make German bombers?) is confirmed as EU president.

Please let UKIP win this one.

It's Fergus and Judith mk II:

5448488-large.jpg

No personal attacks please. Don't mock the gimp.

A poll out in the Sun shows that although the Tories are ahead (it's their 44th safest seat) there's been amssive swing to UKIP.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8850

Even if UKIP don't do well enough to win, the swing (weighted against the 2010 election) will scare the living daylights out of the Tories.

Newark must be regarded by them as a 'very safe seat' perhaps not 'Ultra Safe' or up there with Kensington and Chelsea or Witney but very very significant nonetheless.

Positions at the 2010 General Election.

newark.JPG

Poll conducted for The Sun Newspaper.

poll.JPG

post-13816-0-04459600-1401622666_thumb.jpg

post-13816-0-97168300-1401622878_thumb.jpg

I dont know the area particularly well, but Newark seems a funny place, politically...a bit like corby or wellingborough in Northants. A town with some vestigial industrial labour connections, surrounded by tory countryside. though a fairly safe seat, unlike Witney and southern tory heartlands, labour has remained the second party, rather than the lib dems, which up until 2010, predominated 2nd place in the south, outside of London. I guess its close enough to places like Mansfield, Nottingham, Worksop to have an old labour type working class, and close enough to agrarian rural lincolnshire to have the typical country voters. A significant amount of both whom seem to be switching to UKIP.

Says a lot about the Tory leadership that they've decided to hand a safe seat to somebody who is clearly from an acceptable (to them) background: privately educated, from the south of England, lives in London, property millionaire, employed by a respectable Establishment firm (Christie's auction house). They have nothing of substance to say to people outside of an increasingly narrow social class. The party is disappearing up its own aristocratic backside and wondering why it can't attract the votes of the lower middle class workers that gave Thatcher and Major their majorities. Wakey wakey, those true blue voters who started voting Conservative in the 1950s-60s aren't going to live forever...

Says a lot about the Tory leadership that they've decided to hand a safe seat to somebody who is clearly from an acceptable (to them) background: privately educated, from the south of England, lives in London, property millionaire, employed by a respectable Establishment firm (Christie's auction house). They have nothing of substance to say to people outside of an increasingly narrow social class. The party is disappearing up its own aristocratic backside and wondering why it can't attract the votes of the lower middle class workers that gave Thatcher and Major their majorities. Wakey wakey, those true blue voters who started voting Conservative in the 1950s-60s aren't going to live forever...

Lets hope the flu virus and winter vomiting bug culled the required number in Newark these last 6 Months B)

These are the people on the other end of the scale who can be likened to those who vote labour simply because their dad did and his dad did.

Knows not a jot about the politics but acts on tradition, 'as it is the right thing to do'.

I dont know the area particularly well, but Newark seems a funny place, politically...a bit like corby or wellingborough in Northants. A town with some vestigial industrial labour connections, surrounded by tory countryside. though a fairly safe seat, unlike Witney and southern tory heartlands, labour has remained the second party, rather than the lib dems, which up until 2010, predominated 2nd place in the south, outside of London. I guess its close enough to places like Mansfield, Nottingham, Worksop to have an old labour type working class, and close enough to agrarian rural lincolnshire to have the typical country voters. A significant amount of both whom seem to be switching to UKIP.

Indeed a very strange town, the centre is a Georgian masterpiece and probably has a market square unrivalled in the UK. But go back a few streets and you have row upon row of Victorian factory worker terraced houses that run into massive council estates. I'm sure the locals here will warm to the Tory candidate.

I think UKIP will do well...precariat meets rural little Englanders in the surrounding villages. Also virtually 100% white.

+1 Good post

This is the Tory problem in a nutshell.

Cameron has gone down the same route as Blair did in the Labour party. Local Conservative associations have been emsasculated with far too many candidates being parachuted in from Central Office. Many activists including even the older ones have simply walked. The party's grass roots organisation is dying which is making it increasingly difficult to fight effective electoral campaigns. By contrast UKIP is getting a lot better organised as its results in the recent local elections in places such as Rotherham showed.

+1 Good post

This is the Tory problem in a nutshell.

Cameron has gone down the same route as Blair did in the Labour party. Local Conservative associations have been emsasculated with far too many candidates being parachuted in from Central Office. Many activists including even the older ones have simply walked. The party's grass roots organisation is dying which is making it increasingly difficult to fight effective electoral campaigns. By contrast UKIP is getting a lot better organised as its results in the recent local elections in places such as Rotherham showed.

Yes, it was a good post by stormymonday

They want a comfy Britian full of people like themselves.

Trouble is I don't, nor do I want a Britain like Labour or UKIP would offer for that matter. The Lib Dems don't even figure in my thoughts.

When I voted at the EU and local elections last week I found out there was only a choice of three candidates in the Local election, Conservative, Labour, and Lib Dem. My pencil just hung, frozen in motion over the ballot paper.

Surely even the Tories who vote for these people must realise the Bullingdon Boys are ripping the p1ss out of them.

Why do they put up with it?

Surely even the Tories who vote for these people must realise the Bullingdon Boys are ripping the p1ss out of them.

Why do they put up with it?

Because they think Labour are worse.

The last time I saw Shapps on TV (BBC Sunday Politics I think) it was clear what the Conservative manifesto for 2015 is going to be: "If you don't vote for us Ed Miliband will be Prime Minister." That's all they have to offer. No vision, no principles, no policy detail, just a playground popularity contest.

I have a feeling the 2015 election is going to be a soul-destroying experience for the nation whatever the outcome. UKIP will take a decent-ish wedge of the vote in the 5-15% range and come away with no MPs, revealing the extent to which our increasingly archaic electoral system is rigged in favour of insiders. All three of the big parties will be trapped between falsely claiming that everything is fine or honestly admitting that the system is badly broken but they don't know how to fix it, leading to endless hours of political interviews in which the candidates use all their media training to say nothing. The media will obsess over "presidential politics" and the question "who do you like best, Cameron, Clegg or Miliband?" which 99% of the population will answer with "I don't like any of them".

The best we can hope for is that losing the election will trigger some serious infighting in one or two of the losing parties during their 2015-2020 wilderness years and give intergenerational fairness a chance to make its mark on policy as another 5 years' worth of comfortable oldies make way for another 5 years' worth of priced out precariat young adults.

Could be some sort of Conservative UKIP deal I suppose. Conservatives offer to step aside in a number of seats in return for UKIP not contesting the rest. Wonder what it would take - they could offer to leave Labour's 50 safest seats to UKIP perhaps? Can't see it happening although it would be beneficial to both.

There's still the Scottish referendum of course. A vote for independence, looking unlikely at the moment, would chuck a big cat among the pigeons elsewhere.

Could be some sort of Conservative UKIP deal I suppose. Conservatives offer to step aside in a number of seats in return for UKIP not contesting the rest. Wonder what it would take - they could offer to leave Labour's 50 safest seats to UKIP perhaps? Can't see it happening although it would be beneficial to both.

And hell might freeze over. Tories need to kill UKIP. The tory party simply cant survive if the right wing vote is split in 2 in the same way the left wing vote has been split between lib dem and labour. There arent enough right wing voters out there to support both the tories and UKIP.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/28/Tories-woo-EU-hard-right-and-anti-Muslim-parties-to-block-UKIP

After weeks of basically implying UKIP are hitlerian nazis, suddenly the tories decide those far right groups they dont want to be associated with are just fine and dandy.

Last week Conservative MEP Daniel Hannan was in Denmark telling Copenhagen television that the Danish People’s Party (DPP), which sat with UKIP’s group in the outgoing parliament, would now be welcome to join in the Tories’ Europe group at the European parliament.

Yet in 2009, Conservatives rejected an approach from the DPP to join their group, “because of their unacceptable views in a number of areas.”

And hell might freeze over. Tories need to kill UKIP. The tory party simply cant survive if the right wing vote is split in 2 in the same way the left wing vote has been split between lib dem and labour. There arent enough right wing voters out there to support both the tories and UKIP.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/28/Tories-woo-EU-hard-right-and-anti-Muslim-parties-to-block-UKIP

After weeks of basically implying UKIP are hitlerian nazis, suddenly the tories decide those far right groups they dont want to be associated with are just fine and dandy.

Last week Conservative MEP Daniel Hannan was in Denmark telling Copenhagen television that the Danish People’s Party (DPP), which sat with UKIP’s group in the outgoing parliament, would now be welcome to join in the Tories’ Europe group at the European parliament.

Yet in 2009, Conservatives rejected an approach from the DPP to join their group, “because of their unacceptable views in a number of areas.”

Conservatives win an overall majority, UKIP get 10 to 15 seats, force the EU referendum, then they no longer have a raison d'être.

Actually, I've just summarised why UKIP shouldn't contemplate it, haven't I?

Maybe the Tories will eventually decide that proportional representation isn't so bad after all. At the moment first past the post is only working in Labour's favour. Given the huge divide we now have between social classes and generations it might be impossible for any party to put forward a manifesto that 40-45% of the population will vote for. Only Labour can form a one party government on <40% of the vote. If the Tories eventually realise they will never get into power alone again under FPTP they might decide it would be better to govern in coalitions with UKIP under PR than the Lib Dems under FPTP.

It's going to be the Ulster unionists again, innit?

In 2015 the shots may be called by this berk.