House Price Crash Forum

Domestic Buildings Cover Only 1.1 Percent Of Land In England

HOLA441

There are 43,583 Towns/Villages in UK, if planners were allowed to give a one off bonanza of 10 self builds in each village then you would have 435,830 nice new self built family homes!!

Remind be why we need these new garden cities when there are existing settlements that could be expanded at no cost to the tax payer.

Unfortunately there are 43,583 Towns/Villages in UK that don't want new houses built in their back yard...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Unfortunately there are 43,583 Towns/Villages in UK that don't want new houses built in their back yard...

Screw them!

We have a 'housing crisis' so why not pass a one off emergency measure allowing for 10 houses to be built in each town/village on greenfield sites?

Answer: Because the government want and actively encourage high house prices.

HOLA443

Screw them!

We have a 'housing crisis' so why not pass a one off emergency measure allowing for 10 houses to be built in each town/village on greenfield sites?

Answer: Because the government want and actively encourage high house prices.

Lol

One man's housing crisis is another man's pension.

HOLA444
  • 1 month later...
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

What strikes me as utterly crazy is that you are restricted as to what you can build even if it has absolutely no impact on anybody else at all.

As an example there is a country house up for sale near me - £2m and comes with 20 acres of land, all on the edge of a village.

So if I got together with 14 other families we could buy it and comfortably fit 15 very nice detached properties with big gardens in the grounds. All built to the highest possible eco standards and pretty much off grid. And the total cost for these awesome houses would be a fraction of the cost of similar properties already up for sale.

You would only be able to see the houses if you flew over the grounds in a helicopter and they would not be taking up agricultural land, just private garden inaccessible to the public.

But you can guarantee that if you tried to build them there would be protests from just about everyone who could protest.

Edited by Timak

HOLA448
  • 5 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410

http://lbc.audioagain.com/player_popup.php?item_id=81453&channel_id=0&user_id=0&sec_id=nosubscription&guid=2014-10/10/1db355661008d0e0f59a6488f6283dd9

12 mins 30 secs in - UKIP housing policies addressed.

Doing my best to get the story out there ...

Brilliant .... it would be that simple if it was not for the VI`s

Edited by long time lurking

• 1 month later...
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

http://lbc.audioagain.com/player_popup.php?item_id=81453&channel_id=0&user_id=0&sec_id=nosubscription&guid=2014-10/10/1db355661008d0e0f59a6488f6283dd9

12 mins 30 secs in - UKIP housing policies addressed.

Doing my best to get the story out there ...

lol. So UKIP policy is tory policy. Brownfield sites (well, not many of them in my area of acute housing shortage - Cambridge - given there never was much heavy industry around here...similar to most of south east england, where homes are needed most)

...and stamp duty. ie dont tackle the supply issues, just throw more money at a set housing stock. Stamp duty wouldnt even be an issue for 90% of buyers if planning law was reformed!

HOLA4416

In my town center there was recently some new retail units built, with "brownfield" flats built on top. I was asked if I was interested in buying one. The problem is, whilst my older siblings all have houses with a garden front and back, I am expected to live on top of a charity shop, with crowds of shoppers six feet from my window all day and drunks chucking up over my doorstep every night at 2 am.

Mean while there are miles and miles and miles of empty fields and woods all around my town. Still, can't expect the youngsters to own a piece of land just for themselves can we? Where will the boomers walk their dogs?

When I explained that this was the reason why I'm not interested in buying one of these flats, I was told that there is some sort of "ladder" involved and i can buy a "proper house" later on.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

...When I explained that this was the reason why I'm not interested in buying one of these flats, I was told that there is some sort of "ladder" involved and i can buy a "proper house" later on.

It's ok because FT - Young opt for life in London microhouses. "developers were following in the footsteps of London landlords in earlier times. When women first began to enter the capital’s professional workforce ... lacked respectable and affordable places to live. Working women’s hostels were created to cater for their needs."

I'm not entirely sure whether that quoted Professor of Planning was taking the p!ss or not.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420