House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

Going To Italy On Holiday

Think I'm gonna buggar off to Italy for a couple of weeks in July; last minute kinda thing. So as with all my last minute trips I'm tapping into the HPC hive mind for your advice, which has been extremely useful in the past!

I would be landing in Pisa; and ideally I'd like somewhere picquiesque and peaceful to use as a base for getting trains to other parts of Italy - I like to keep busy on my holidays but have somewhere nice to come home to in the evenings.

Someone told me that the beach town of Viareggio in Tuscanny is good place to stay and get trains to other places - I've founda room there for about £30 a night so it's not gonna break tha bank either.

However I'm open to all suggestions - so where do you lot think I should be staying and doing?

I would try and get an invite to one of the bunga bunga parties.

This here ends my contribution to this thread. Everything else I know about Italy comes from Ancient Rome and WW2 films.

Oh, and I was told to be careful of the lady boys in places like Milan as apparently they are very convincing.

Don't forget to do the ancient stuff if that sort of thing interests you.

Rome, Pompeii and Herculaneum are the big ones, but there are ancient buildings all over Italy, some still in use. The House of Augustus in Rome, discovered 50 years ago, was opened to the public in 2008.

Don't go to Venice if you don't like the smell of sewage. That would be my advice.

It's full of bum berries? :blink:

Did Portillo on his train journey through Italy give you the idea to go? Some pretty scenery there, Turin looked interesting.

The Trip with Coogan and Rydon is quite a good travelogue too. Turin is a fantastic city with some interesting museums

Don't forget to do the ancient stuff if that sort of thing interests you.

Rome, Pompeii and Herculaneum are the big ones, but there are ancient buildings all over Italy, some still in use. The House of Augustus in Rome, discovered 50 years ago, was opened to the public in 2008.

Do they have Brian Blessed standing outside the House of Augustus shouting "I will kill you! I will chop off your head!" as people enter?

If not, they should.

Think I'm gonna buggar off to Italy for a couple of weeks in July; last minute kinda thing. So as with all my last minute trips I'm tapping into the HPC hive mind for your advice, which has been extremely useful in the past!

I would be landing in Pisa; and ideally I'd like somewhere picquiesque and peaceful to use as a base for getting trains to other parts of Italy - I like to keep busy on my holidays but have somewhere nice to come home to in the evenings.

Someone told me that the beach town of Viareggio in Tuscanny is good place to stay and get trains to other places - I've founda room there for about £30 a night so it's not gonna break tha bank either.

However I'm open to all suggestions - so where do you lot think I should be staying and doing?

Went to Viareggoio once, quite a while ago....very quiet, basic and had to pay to use the beach, ice cream nice though....I would tend towards the lakes. ;)

.....I would tend towards the lakes. ;)

Pisa and Tuscany are nice enough, but the Italian lakes are very good for a holiday too. I guess it depends on what you enjoy doing (and if you rent a car). The Pisa area is full of history and wonderful buildings. The lakes are stunning scenery. Either are better than Blackpool in the rain :D

Florence is a beautiful place, but I recall some horrendous prices. I went so long ago I wish I could remember more. The leaning tower of Pisa was worth a look. Obviously Venice too. I'm not sure what the temperatures will be in July, but I'd expect something severe? That will affect when and how you do things outdoors.

Oh, and don't mess with the police in Italy.

Don't go to Venice if you don't like the smell of sewage. That would be my advice.

Just to be more positive.... if you like the smell of sewage definitely try Venice, it won't disappoint.

Venice is stunning. Didn't smell of sewage when I was there, and it was hot.

Florence - great for a day but wouldn't necessarily stay there - we took the train from Bolonga which we found was a great base for a long weekend - oldest university in europe iirc, really nice place to visit and off the normal track, food was amazing.

Trains - make sure you get your ticket validated using one of the platform machines - I believe most / all tickets are open and need to validated on the day of travel.

Long way but as recommeded earlier pompeii / herculaneum and vesuvius mindbllowing.

Back in 1982 lemon juice in st marks square was £5, vence hellish expensive - worth a weekend trip - stay off the island, and take packed lunches / drinks.

Haven't been yet - still trying to learn the language. Planning on completing the Michel Thomas course and then potentially getting some private tuition while working on the website of that dance artist/DJ.

We'll be going to Milan or more likely Brescia. She doesn't have gig dates all that far in advance so we're looking at August to give time to get the website completed and to get better acquainted with the language.

I have radio station M20 streaming on my PC quite often so I get to hear a lot of Italian.

I had an Aunt who live in Bologna and who actually worked at the University. Translated for English/Italian dictionaries and married an Italian traffic cop. I remember us visiting them as a child and I couldn't believe the food they served. I hadn't realised pasta was merely (one of the) starters. And the finale was fruit with grapes the size of apples - unbelievable to a kid from Blighty in the early 1970's.

We used to visit Venice each year for my Mum's bit of culture on our sun and sand holiday in Rimini/Lido di Jesolo. She gave me and my friend a little bit of cash and told us to meet up again later on as she had a wander around. We made the mistake of ordering a Coke on St. Marks Square and realising we didn't have enough money. Yes- we did a runner. Aged 13. :lol:

Lido Di Jesolo was my first trip to italy too, at 16 by coach ! World cup was on during the 2 week stay and the Italians went bonkers. I remember even plain old marguerita pizza's being a revelation, don't think I've had one to match since..

Haven't been yet - still trying to learn the language. Planning on completing the Michel Thomas course and then potentially getting some private tuition while working on the website of that dance artist/DJ.

We'll be going to Milan or more likely Brescia. She doesn't have gig dates all that far in advance so we're looking at August to give time to get the website completed and to get better acquainted with the language.

I have radio station M20 streaming on my PC quite often so I get to hear a lot of Italian.

That's got to be a cracking way to get familiar with a language over a few months.

That's got to be a cracking way to get familiar with a language over a few months.

Those Italian girls have hairy legs! I'm not sure Mark will be looking at that! Italian is both simple and lovely!

Venice is stunning. Didn't smell of sewage when I was there, and it was hot.

Same here, we were pleasantly surprised, and they were having a heatwave (37 degrees) when we went in May 2009.

Fortunately, we had our air-conditioned car and our hotel (5 mile drive from the island) was air-conditioned so we were able to get some relief. When on the island, we bought Vaporetto day passes and spent a lot of the time onboard, enjoying the cool breeze.

Same here, we were pleasantly surprised, and they were having a heatwave (37 degrees) when we went in May 2009.

Fortunately, we had our air-conditioned car and our hotel (5 mile drive from the island) was air-conditioned so we were able to get some relief. When on the island, we bought Vaporetto day passes and spent a lot of the time onboard, enjoying the cool breeze.

Ditto. Never smelt any sewerage at all.

Great place just to walk around the back streets and see where they take you.

Ditto. Never smelt any sewerage at all.

Great place just to walk around the back streets and see where they take you.

You should go to India!