House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
@contradevian

The End Of The Middle Classes

Sorry for the DM link, but an interesting link, and interesting the Mail is publishing it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2641907/Middle-classes-disappear-30-years-rising-property-prices-instead-replaced-tiny-elite-sprawling-proletariat-says-government-adviser.html

Rising property prices will kill off the middle classes within 30 years and create a vast ‘impoverished’ proletariat, a government adviser has warned.

David Boyle, who is also a fellow of the New Economics Foundation think-tank, said home ownership will be beyond the means of many of today’s children, leaving them at the mercy of rising rents.

He predicted that by 2045, the average house price will reach £1.2million, meaning only the very rich will be able to afford a property.

It would leave Britain with a ‘tiny elite and a huge sprawling proletariat’ who have no chance of ‘clawing their way out of a hand-to-mouth existence’, he said

Just read it. Absolutely terrifying. We can't even afford a house now (well we could but we're not paying a bazillion million pounds for a 1 bed ex council flat that someone got given to them for free), so how the hell will our kids (whilst paying tax and paying back for university if they want to go)? Why would anybody choose to live an existence where they are working 4 jobs just to pay the rent. People will not be able to afford to have children. Surely a revolution is brewing. Or perhaps Orwell was spot on with his predictions (love that guy).

Edited by fru-gal

Absolute b0llocks.

The reason why the middle class will die is not bcos HPs will rise for ever. It is bcos they will collapse. Thus, all those MCers with huge debts will lose their assets (they have practically no pension) and no income. Thus they will pass Poor and go straight to Sub Poor. No Income No assets.

THAT is the true Death of The Middle Class to come. It was picking up steam until the most Marxist policy since Clown was around was introduced - HTB.

#SoylentGreen

The reason why the middle class will die is not bcos HPs will rise for ever. It is bcos they will collapse. Thus, all those MCers with huge debts will lose their assets (they have practically no pension) and no income. Thus they will pass Poor and go straight to Sub Poor. No Income No assets.

I read twenty years ago that we will return to a Victorian class system whereby there was an elite class but also a fairly substantial Artisan class ( a country house cook could earn the equivalent of £50k) The sprawling middle class was quite a recent change from those times on.

We are heading that way now again. House prices are just a function. Traditionally the middle classes looked down on 'trade' and yet we are surrounded by skilled blue collar workers earning good money (IT, prestige car bodywork and repairs, building trades etc) the renewed respect for manufacturing is helping.

The middle classes thought that their 'trades' were immune to technology and displacement and never saw that a newly qualified cheap doctor in India could look at an X-ray taken of a patient in New York.

The middle classes seem uniquely ill equipped to cope with changes to their circumstances whilst the survivability of blue collar workers or small time entrepreneurs is legendary.

Edited by Greg Bowman

Absolute b0llocks.

THAT is the true Death of The Middle Class to come. It was picking up steam until the most Marxist policy since Clown was around was introduced - HTB.

#SoylentGreen

+1

Another dyscalculic charlatan with an economics degree masquerading as a scientist.

I think a lot of the middle class are probably doomed but not by high house prices. Technology and a large precariat workforce will be the drivers.

Absolute b0llocks.

#SoylentGreen

Agree this is b0llocks. It's basically a DM article saying "buy now, a studio flat in Walthamstow will be 36million in 10 years time" and more desperate ramping. Can't believe people fall for it.

Agree this is b0llocks. It's basically a DM article saying "buy now, a studio flat in Walthamstow will be 36million in 10 years time" and more desperate ramping. Can't believe people fall for it.

Quick buy it NOW because soon nobody will want it. ;)

Absolute b0llocks.

#SoylentGreen

Another +1 from me.

Wherever I look, all I can see is people who are 'all-in', totally dependent on the continued success of a system which is already in a precarious state. Housing is just a symptom.

Edited by marceau

To me it seems the middle class could not see it's own demise. Whilst those who relished higher house prices by considering the place that they lived was an investment rather than a home did not realise this attitude was counter to other middle class values. They have suddenly found that their offspring have been priced out, savings are not yielding the same returns to help them in retirement, Thier kids have moved away to somewhere cheaper.

Sort of serves them right really.

Never has affected me. I'm just a working class oik so I deserve what I get anyway.

Meanwhile the plebs do everything in their power to ensure the Victorian society becomes rooted. They are sold the dream of inheritance tax free estates flowing from generation to generation and the property owning dream that bigs up property prices. They have even chosen the Tory drone Milibot with his property and inheritance background to be their standard bearer.

Edited by crashmonitor

It will only take a couple of generations to lose all the gains made over the last two generations. ;)

Edited by winkie

It will only take a couple of generations to lose all the gains made over the last two generations. ;)

Some truth in that, you are more careful with wealth you have acquired yourself and have obtained from your own blood, sweat and tears. Easy come, easy go.

Meanwhile the plebs do everything in their power to ensure the Victorian society becomes rooted. They are sold the dream of inheritance tax free estates flowing from generation to generation and the property owning dream that bigs up property prices. They have even chosen the Tory drone Milibot with his property and inheritance background to be their standard bearer.

You are quite right and make a very good point, but may I say with repect that you don't demean your points with insuling names for people never goes down well in mature debate, not that I have ever had one :rolleyes:

The middle classes thought that their 'trades' were immune to technology and displacement and never saw that a newly qualified cheap doctor in India could look at an X-ray taken of a patient in New York.

I hope the cheap doctor in New Dehli is better than the cheap IT worker in Bangalore, otherwise I'd get a second opinion before accepting his diagnosis.

Never underestimate the intelligence of the average person. It's telling that some of the earliest income taxes were brought in for the rich - now everyone but the rich pays them.

The middle classes will remain but they'll be closer in living standards to the developing world middle classes (i.e. those living on $5-10/day rather than $1).

You are quite right and make a very good point, but may I say with repect that you don't demean your points with insuling names for people never goes down well in mature debate, not that I have ever had one :rolleyes:

Yep it comes across as condescending. ''Plebs'' as in all of us (myself included) just pawns in the hands of the leftish Blairite Metropolitan elite whose life revolves around gaming property. Miliband will be a worthy succesor to the Blair inheritance of a property bubble. Education education, import immigrant slaves as renting and domestic service fodder and property speculation....no need to actually work for those that can get into the Blairite elite class.

Edited by crashmonitor

With respect to the Op who apologised for the Daily Mail article, I thank the Mods & Fubra for tagging it as a Daily Mail link near the title.

From clicking on the tag, this appears to be first or only time it was used.

If used in future, i am grateful I can now avoid such DM articles if I wish.

IMO, life is too short to get sucked into those types of DM media memes

Edit: sorry, I realise now the Op may have tagged it Daily Mail. In that case, I repeat my request for mods / fubra to label such articles as Dm

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

I liked it. Nice tangible image of what a ridiculous situation we are in.

So the Lib Dems huh ? I think I will stretch my voting to outside of actually policy and include special contributions to the Housing Debate.

So now its:

1. Libdems

2. Communist Party of Great Britain (Croydon Branch)

3. Labour/Conservatives

Thank god. Was in danger of having to move to Croydon.

With respect to the Op who apologised for the Daily Mail article, I thank the Mods & Fubra for tagging it as a Daily Mail link near the title.

From clicking on the tag, this appears to be first or only time it was used.

If used in future, i am grateful I can now avoid such DM articles if I wish.

IMO, life is too short to get sucked into those types of DM media memes

Edit: sorry, I realise now the Op may have tagged it Daily Mail. In that case, I repeat my request for mods / fubra to label such articles as Dm

Never seen that before. Can't find anything in account settings for a tag ignore.

and another +1 from me. It really is all going to end in tears

it is.

for the dark satanic mill owners who withold the fair days pay for a fair days work fraudulently.

it's in the bible, read it.

Absolute b0llocks. The reason why the middle class will die is not bcos HPs will rise for ever. It is bcos they will collapse. Thus, all those MCers with huge debts will lose their assets (they have practically no pension) and no income. Thus they will pass Poor and go straight to Sub Poor. No Income No assets.

I don't know how they get away with running these fantasy stories - but it also gets lapped up - by complacent home-owners and happy bomads and btlers.

Who is going to buy homes such as these. I've not got PropertyBee installed or PT at the moment, but that bypass has been built for a number of years, and a nearby house is going on the market after council boots out the 1 elderly tenant who has lived in the 5 bed family home on a peppercorn rent since the 1980s. There ever more houses young people can't upsize to - total joke asking prices.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26719420.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36026407.html

And bring on more of these post MMR. (going into care or probate) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44486029.html

I just hit YouTube to calm down from it. Reminding myself the rising young powers will have the will and the energy and the positions to throttle this market view. That's what they did in the late 80s-early 90s crash. They let the older VI have it.

Marc Antony (young, powerful, rangey and handsome)...to Cicero: Give me your hands Brother Cicero. ....so be assured if I ever again, hear your name, connected with murmurs of treachery.... I will cut off these soft, pink, hands, and nail them to the Senate door. (kisses his hands).

No Senate doors are large enough for all the hands I'd like to nail there, for all of the treachery, and general acceptance of anti-capitalist policies, and those championing them on radio, tv and in the papers each day.

Edited by Venger

I hope the cheap doctor in New Dehli is better than the cheap IT worker in Bangalore, otherwise I'd get a second opinion before accepting his diagnosis.

The problem is that the people who benefit from outsourcing are not the same people who suffer from the consequences- so the manager get's his annual bonus even if your prognosis takes a nose dive.