House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Weight Watchers Free On The Nhs

Weight Watchers free on the NHS: GPs told to prescribe £100 slimming courses for millions of obese patients
  • 12-week programmes to be offered to 'obese' and 'overweight' patients
  • UK has second highest obesity rate in Europe, will cost country millions
  • NHS currently spend £5.1billion a year treating obesity-related illnesses

I was expecting to see a topic on this so will need to start my own.

This seems eminently sensible to me and a similar case to alcohol. You have something that is fine in moderation* but taken to excess causes vast health problems.

So you either keep picking up that huge bill for NHS treatment or pay a fraction of that for prevention.

Makes sense to me, and as one cause of obesity is people being short of money so buying cheap high calorie food** then they're not going to have the spare cash to pay for weight loss classes***.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2641037/GPs-prescribe-100-slimming-courses-millions-obese-patients.html

* Yes, I know that it is entirely an individual's responsibility and all that they need to do is eat less and move around more and I do it so why can't they they're just lazy and spend all day watching Sky TV and eating pizzas and "diet" coke when they should be out cycling 50 miles

** and Yes, I know that with a bit of effort and meal planning you can eat food which is much better for you than the cheap frozen convenience food.

*** and and Yes, I know that these classes aren't always the best and people put often put it all back on and more afterwards but they have some success

Well the only issue is weight watchers doesn't really seem to work.

Slimmers World has worked for some people I know, I agree Weight Watchers seems less successful.

In my experience there are people out there who don't know the basics about food so a bit of education would help. My worry is that it would be of "low fat" kind.

You can see much better ways of doing it though, employing somebody to co-ordinate free outdoor exercise classes such as morning walks, evening beginner runs would pay a huge bonus.

I've said before (and IIRC you had the same view) that you can basically ignore your diet (as long as you don't go mad) and just do vast amounts of exercise and you lose any excess on the way to getting really fit. No diet whatsoever!

There are lots of interesting possibilities for addressing the health issues of fatness. Giving public money to Weight Watchers is not one of them. In fact it might even be the opposite. It's like the Fire Brigade issuing molotov cocktails really.

There are lots of interesting possibilities for addressing the health issues of fatness. Giving public money to Weight Watchers is not one of them. In fact it might even be the opposite. It's like the Fire Brigade issuing molotov cocktails really.

I agree.......waste of money, keeping the fat off is the bigger task.....how about the money saved buying the right foods and cooking them in the right way used to pay for their own weigh ins or exercise class......stuff given for free doesn't work, paying for the class means they have given themselves a commitment to try to lose weight....free stuff, they will not turn up.....business wins, NHS money wasted.

I agree.......waste of money, keeping the fat off is the bigger task.....how about the money saved buying the right foods and cooking them in the right way used to pay for their own weigh ins or exercise class......stuff given for free doesn't work, paying for the class means they have given themselves a commitment to try to lose weight....free stuff, they will not turn up.....business wins, NHS money wasted.

The NHS offer plenty of advice and support as standard, including what is in effect Weight Watchers except not in a group environment, the issue is people are simply not interested in doing anything about their weight.

Problem as already highlighted is that Weight Watchers, Sliming World or any diet don't generally work in the longer term. If WW or SW is more successful than anything else it would IMO be more to do with the current members being more motivated to do something about their weight over and above people on a causal diet, however I have know loads of people who have gone to such places for years on end and their diet habits are terrible as it's all focused on the weekly weigh in and they are on a constant cycle of 1 pound off one week and back on another.

It doesn't work because you can't really change lifestyles...obviously it is easy if exercise has always been a part of your routine, but trying to prescribe exercise as an extra will never work...either you want to do it or you don't. Also you cannot curb appetite.......the body will trick the person into eating what they desire. Weightwatchers will cheat to satisfy their hungers by kidding themselves on portion sizes........I had a girlfriend trying to lose weight many years ago. It's completely hopeless.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/uk-women-are-fattest-in-western-europe-1-in-12-are-clinically-obese-9450203.html

Yep young UK birds fattest in Europe. It's only natural when there is a huge sex imbalance in the 18-35 age group they don't really have to try do they. This is natural selection in action. But just wait til they get to 50+ and the tide turns.

Weight watchers sell cake bars and crisps - 2 items which my wife never normally buys, but for some reason buys the weight watchers ones. When I pointed out the obvious flaw in her weight-loss plan, she said

"But they're only 2 points!"

"Well not eating them, like you normally don't, is no points, fatty." I helpfully replied.

A points based product endorsed weight loss system doesn't have to be a winner for the NHS.

How much do weightwatchers gain from it?

I doubt Weight Watchers is the way to go. I notice a lot of their packaged meals are higher calorie than other low calorie packaged meals. Same for their deserts. Yet WW products are always more expensive.

Surely the key is to teach how to make your own healthy food, avoiding packaged and processed meals altogether? And eating this way has to be cheaper too, especially for large families.

I find it very strange the NHS has opted for WW, but having said that it's not the first time the NHS has thrown huge amounts of money down the drain. Anyone remember their computer database that was supposed to link the countries files? It was a complete failure and cost a horrible sum of money.

Makes you wonder who's getting the pay off for these deals..... :rolleyes:

So why is this really? Look at the UK culture of boozing, junk food and fighting. Then compare it to sensible drinking in France, or the healthy Greek diet. They put the British to shame, making us appear less mature.

Do Brits just have a lower IQ? :)

Or are they struggling with grim weather and a bleak future?

So why is this really? Look at the UK culture of boozing, junk food and fighting. Then compare it to sensible drinking in France, or the healthy Greek diet. They put the British to shame, making us appear less mature.

Do Brits just have a lower IQ? :)

Or are they struggling with grim weather and a bleak future?

....the sun, fresh air and fresh healthy food does have something to do with it.....but I think a large percentage of overeaters are not happy with themselves/life, some are depressed, they have little to occupy their time, (some are over working) few interests, many are not used to earning their own money, thinking for themselves and others......happy family units of support do help, there are more close family networks that live close together in southern med countries, the community is their weight watcher that gives positive encouragement and advise.....also far fewer takeaways, processed and convenience foods, branded and high fat,sugar and salt products in supermarkets......but all this is changing rapidly. :(

It doesn't work because you can't really change lifestyles...obviously it is easy if exercise has always been a part of your routine, but trying to prescribe exercise as an extra will never work...either you want to do it or you don't. Also you cannot curb appetite.......the body will trick the person into eating what they desire. Weightwatchers will cheat to satisfy their hungers by kidding themselves on portion sizes........I had a girlfriend trying to lose weight many years ago. It's completely hopeless.

Its not hopeless - it just takes effort. Unfortunately you can't prescribe that.

I know not everyone likes exercise. However it is clear from watching numerous programmes on the subject - that many people can move from hating exercise - to being addicted to it - in a fairly short time.

How you get someone to do that is another matter.

Slimmers World has worked for some people I know, I agree Weight Watchers seems less successful.

In my experience there are people out there who don't know the basics about food so a bit of education would help. My worry is that it would be of "low fat" kind.

You can see much better ways of doing it though, employing somebody to co-ordinate free outdoor exercise classes such as morning walks, evening beginner runs would pay a huge bonus.

I've said before (and IIRC you had the same view) that you can basically ignore your diet (as long as you don't go mad) and just do vast amounts of exercise and you lose any excess on the way to getting really fit. No diet whatsoever!

Do generally agree - but mostly from this site I do think the type of food etc is pretty important. Not as much as the basic calorie usage though.

A points based product endorsed weight loss system doesn't have to be a winner for the NHS.

How much do weightwatchers gain from it?

More than a few pounds ?

:)

Its not hopeless - it just takes effort. Unfortunately you can't prescribe that.

I know not everyone likes exercise. However it is clear from watching numerous programmes on the subject - that many people can move from hating exercise - to being addicted to it - in a fairly short time.

How you get someone to do that is another matter.

Very true - addiction comes easily.

Unfortunately, for myself at least, one 'positive' addiction does not supress a 'negative' one! I know that's not the same for everyone though.

If only the NHS had dieticians trained to provide diets and some form of delivery mechanism where they have officers and spaces to dispense them in.

I doubt Weight Watchers is the way to go. I notice a lot of their packaged meals are higher calorie than other low calorie packaged meals. Same for their deserts. Yet WW products are always more expensive.

Surely the key is to teach how to make your own healthy food, avoiding packaged and processed meals altogether?

Weight Watchers makes it all oh so complicated. It's not. Maybe they make it complex so you feel you need to stay with Weight Watchers.

Eat real food; it's as simple as that. Stuff you can grow or kill.

It's amusing that they have weight watcher's 'deserts' - if you're fat you shouldn't be eating deserts.

When I come home after work in the evenings I steam some vegetables, microwave some kidney beans and a small portion of rice, and have some meat (from a real piece of an animal, not mystery meat), which is either steamed or has been cooked in the slow cooker the day before.

Takes no more than 30 mins to make dinner, and while it's cooking I do other housework anyway so it's not like it actually takes 30 mins out of my day.

At no point am I racking up 'points' or going to meetings.

As someone else pointed out, it's a cultural thing. Mild depression, mild stupidity, and just boredom even; my parents are renting a newbuild house at the moment and it's so ridiculously small that's there no room to do anything in the living room but sit with your nose up against the TV; and the kitchen is so microscopic that you're not gonna feel like preparing a meal of any complexity in it; so let's just "phone for a pizza for a 'treat' while we watch some mind numbing show on the telly about someone buying a house in the country".

Perhaps we eat and drink because that's all we're really encouraged to do as a culture.

Very true - addiction comes easily.

Unfortunately, for myself at least, one 'positive' addiction does not supress a 'negative' one! I know that's not the same for everyone though.

Same here - but at least a positive one will do you some good to hopefully balance things out a little.

For me its booze and exercise. For example I swam in a jock reservoir last night in the pissing rain. At the weekend however I went on a two day binge. :)

Same here - but at least a positive one will do you some good to hopefully balance things out a little.

For me its booze and exercise. For example I swam in a jock reservoir last night in the pissing rain. At the weekend however I went on a two day binge. :)

Snap (the addictions, not the skinnydipping!) As I say though for some it works really well. Know a guy who had chips and stuff like that everyday who got well into cycling. The diet soon started changing as well, maybe to the body's new nutrient requirements out of anything.

As for the thread topic, naturally as I do exercise and tried the fasting, I think NHS WW will be a spectacular waste of money but then it's easier for managements pals to line their pockets through the whole WW production line by just choosing the one company (What would be wrong with offering as has been said, nutritionist (and a chefs) advice and courses, WW, or a massively subsidised council gym membership).

I do know NHS can offer memberships at gyms etc for those with depression - so that's not a bad thing. Still - I think half of it is being outdoors.

If only the NHS had dieticians trained to provide diets and some form of delivery mechanism where they have officers and spaces to dispense them in.

Dietician can tell but will dieters listen.....the three egg sized potatoes on the plate will be referenced up to three canon balls.