House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FrozenOut

Savings Rates Down Again

Honestly didn't think it could go down any more than it has already, but Virgin Money cut my interest again today 1.55% down to 1.41%

Just so sick of it ......

Honestly didn't think it could go down any more than it has already, but Virgin Money cut my interest again today 1.55% down to 1.41%

give it to me i will look after it for you , and pay you 3.5% gross per month :D

You wouldn't think cutting it by such a small amount would be worth it. More bad PR than it was worth. I still get 1.55% on my account but I am wondering if it's worth having it.

We're spending our spare money going to festivals and enjoying ourselves this year before we're tied down with kids :) Got enough in the bank, little point of saving any more at the moment as we're not getting any interest and can't save as fast as house prices are rising.

Might as well enjoy ourselves whilst we're still young and able.

Why bother trying to save or buying a house when you can't win?

We're spending our spare money going to festivals and enjoying ourselves this year before we're tied down with kids :) Got enough in the bank, little point of saving any more at the moment as we're not getting any interest and can't save as fast as house prices are rising.

Might as well enjoy ourselves whilst we're still young and able.

Why bother trying to save or buying a house when you can't win?

indeed i am going to blow 14k on a new car , to hell with house prices :lol:

indeed i am going to blow 14k on a new car , to hell with house prices :lol:

I'm not blowing savings, just having a break after saving for years. I will be saving hard next year when I recommence mobile Dj'ing at the weekend.

I'm not blowing savings, just having a break after saving for years. I will be saving hard next year when I recommence mobile Dj'ing at the weekend.

i have been saving for on and off since 2002 , but out of those 12 years i never worked for 5 of them .

I would be wary of putting money into Nationwide - see yesterday's thread - they've admitted lending £17bn over the last 12 months into what they describe as the London bubble. No wonder they're offering the best savings rates...

Nationwide offer up to 2.5% depending on how much you put in a month

Min Max Withdrawals per year AER % AER %includingbonus Gross% p.a. Net % p.a.

£1 £99* Unlimited 0.10 n/a 0.10 0.08

£100 £199* Unlimited 1.35 n/a 1.35 1.08

£200 £499* Unlimited 1.85 n/a 1.85 1.48

£500 £1,000* Unlimited 2.50 n/a 2.50 2.00

Edited by giesahoose

Is this because of FLS? Will rates rise now that it has ended? How much is still sloshing around in the system?

It's probably not occurred to the rich thickos in the Tory party that a lot of their older voters have switched to UKIP because they already own their own home outright but can't live on the interest from their savings. They'd probably win it if they put interest rates up.

Edited by fru-gal

You were lucky. Mine dropped to 1.41% on 30th March, following email notification in January.

Is this because of FLS? Will rates rise now that it has ended? How much is still sloshing around in the system?

It's probably not occurred to the rich thickos in the Tory party that a lot of their older voters have switched to UKIP because they already own their own home outright but can't live on the interest from their savings. They'd probably win it if they put interest rates up.

it would suit me as a first time buyer with a depoist getting nothing for my savings and i would much prefer a cheaper house at high interest rate.

it would suit me as a first time buyer with a depoist getting nothing for my savings and i would much prefer a cheaper house at high interest rate.

Me too. Who are they really helping with low interest rates. Oh yes, the f&ck1ng banks as per usual.

Edited by fru-gal

They don't want your savings, they want your debt. :angry:

Wife works for a high street bank they have just reduced the rates again , I asked her they don't want people to put money into savings do they...No she replied

I note Skipton have a 3% fixed rate bond until 2019, but it's a bloody lock in. I do like an early redemption penalty lest we get tempted to leave Nottingham and buy some country pile out in the middle of nowhere. As it is I have to put up with 1.51% in the Virgin instant access.....then bonds with the Nationwide at 2.5% and 3% with the Halifax that do have redemption options and old reinvested I/L National savings certs......still just about keeping ahead of inflation after tax though.