House Price Crash Forum

Gryls Or Mears?

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I want Gryls' camera man thanks.

I'm not sure if it has aired in the UK but I found the first season of Les Stroud's Survivorman to be interesting viewing in parts. The USP being that Stroud does all his own filming, with no crew on site. Some of the scenarios turn out to be quite grim and mundane with not much happening other than Stroud slowly dehydrating and/or being bitten to death. As far as these style of shows go, in his way, he's more of an anti-Gryls than Mears.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Mears has that slightly nerdy by-the-book air about him, a safe pair of hands, survival pretty much guaranteed. Gryls has a bit more of a gung ho attitude, so would probably be more fun, slightly riskier. But he is also quite annoying, and more likely to suggest drinking your own wee or sticking things up your backside. So Gryls it is then, obviously.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I get the feeling mears really knows what he us talking about - and grylls does not.

Depends what he has done since he left the SAS. These people are not trained experts in this sort of survival. Would be a waste of time. Of course they get a basic decent knowledge of it. However looks like mears has spent many a year studying and researching it.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Definitely Mears - careful consideration of how to survive with what you've got and make the best of it.

Theres no way I would take advice from Grylls if he insisted that the only way down is to climb on a rotting tree trunk stuck in a waterfall. It may make for dramatic footage, but it's not what you'd do if you wanted some guarantee of making it out.

That and he's an annoying tw@t

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I believe Mears used to train the SAS. Grylls might be better in a fight but you could feed Mears to the bears so you could get away. Decisions, decisions.

Interesting never knew that.

I think the fight thing is a bit of an urban myth too. Spending lots of time on hand to hand combat is a complete waste of time for someone in the special forces. If they get to that point - they are almost certainly already dead.

PS - Mears is a black belt in judo and also won a Mongolian wrestling demo vs a local champion when he was there filming a show.

So mears could also more than likely kick ****** out of the annoying grylls too :)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I believe that, aside from the odd presentation here and there, Mears never had a regular gig training the armed services. Lofty Wiseman (above) was the senior SAS survival instructor for donkey's years and wrote the best-selling SAS Survival Handbook.

Mears is less of a 'survival' or endurance expert and more into primitive living skills, particularly in woodland environments. I suspect he cribbed a fair bit of Mors Kochanski's (above) act, less Kochanski's trademark tam o'shanter, early in his career.

I doubt very much that the 'real' Grylls is as much of a dick as his media persona. He's SAS survival trained and jungle environments (per the original post) are an SAS speciality. So, much as I enjoy Mears' stuff, and loathe as I am to admit it, I wouldn't write off Grylls.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Mears for me although I would count myself lucky if either man was with me given the alternative of no one or a typical metrosexual modern Brit.

Grylls is a committed Christian and I'm sure he would bang on about it sooner or later. Whereas Mears stated once that the closest he's come to a religious experience was paddling a traditional canoe - with a perfect paddle he'd fashioned out of a tree trunk in 6 hours - on a Canadian lake, before quoting Trudeau, "What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature." Class.

FWIW, there's a similar thread on ARRSE and the vast majority have respect for the earnest and chubby schoolboy Mears and his mad skills - not so much for the other chap.

(BTW it's Grylls.)

HOLA4422

Grylls is a committed Christian and I'm sure he would bang on about it sooner or later.

...this and the fact that he's the son of Tory politican Sir Michael Grylls gets him kicked out the tent immediately.

Plus I heard that mears likes one or two wee drinkies suggests that he'll plan ahead

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

This comment from Youtube sums it up quite well

timmian85

Yeah, this is why i like Mears over Grylls. Everything is just cozy. There is no rush to stab something and drink its blood, just meandering through the wilderness like a Hobbit leaving gems of information who are more usefull than drinking a cup of piss. No offense to Bear Grylls, but that guy is a ******ing lunatic and in a dual survival situation would most likely eat Ray and sleep in his skin."

HOLA4425

Great bloke. I did one of his courses a few years ago. They planted us in the middle of a Gloucestershire woods with the back story that we'd survived a plane crash: take it from there. I'd recommend it.

Much less exciting since Fred West was caught, I'd imagine.

Grylls escapades always seem more about what a ratings hungry TV production company needs to do to survive.

I seem to recall that, on the basis all experts in any subject come via the medium of TV, the police were hoping to set Mears loose to track down Raoul Moat when he was on the run. Bet Mears sh@t himself and not from eating too many insects and berries.

Archived