House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wurzel Of Highbridge

Right To Build

Right To Build

Councils will be forced to make land available for self builders under plans announced by the government. We’ll be keeping track of the proposal’s progress with our regularly-updated Right to Build Hub

How will Right to Build work?

The details of the scheme are vague at present, but Build It hopes to be able to view the consultation draft in the coming weeks. We’ll update this page as soon as we know more.

Here are some of the rumours we’ve heard about how it will work:

• The scheme will be consulted on this summer
  • The policy may be implemented before the end of this term, or it might be put back until after the 2015 elections
  • Anyone with a local connection (probably three years’ residency) will have the right to demand to purchase a plot of land on which to build their own home
  • Councils would have a legal duty to provide that land; and it will probably have to be ‘serviced’ (ie have water, electricity and heating connections on site)
  • Any cash the council makes through the sale of the land will be available to reinvest in new sites
  • The scheme is likely to be initially pushed out through ‘vanguard’ councils – who will be among the first to access the new £150m custom build fund aimed at releasing 10,000 service plots
  • When the full scheme is launched, councils who refuse to comply may face having land seized from them via the Homes & Communities Agency. They may also suffer funding cuts, such as being frozen out of the new homes bonus

What the government says

The government has been making big noises about the Right to Build, with a number of big-hitters pushing the agenda forward.

The only land i can find in Dorset and Hampshire costs 150K upwards.

With more over half a million then under, just shows plebs arent allowed to build a house.

All public sector parasites in the planning industry need shooting, along with their bedfellows the NIMBYs.

I have recently thought about trying to join the local council to see if I could potentially get to know the planners and weasel my way through the system with a piece of agricultural land. The planning laws can be widely interpreted if the planners want to [brown envelope], epscially for one off dwellings where ou can show a need [yes I do need frikin somewhere to live you w@nkers]