House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Obesity Is A Bigger Problem Than Famine

It seems to be now well established that obesity has become a bigger problem for the human species than famine[1], but, even then, the results from the following web page surprised me:

BBC website: Where are you on the global fat scale?

After typing in my details, I apparently not only have a lower BMI than 93% of the UK (men in my age group) but to have a lower BMI than 69% of the whole world. (Although I appreciate, like pretty much every way of measuring 'fatness', BMI is probably only so-so.)
Most surprising to me was that, on average, men in my age group in Niger, Congo, Gambia and India have a higher BMI than I do!
It seems it's not just people's perceptions of what normal is that's skewed--it's what is *actually* normal that's getting out of control.

[1] In the sense that there are more obese people than those who are starving, although I would imagine it'd be valid to say that one individual obesity case is less bad than one individual famine case, but anyway...

I caught an episode of 'secret eaters' on tge telly a few months ago, it's reality rubbish but one of the 'contestants' was eating 8,000 calories/day.

Don't with to come over all schoolteachery but this is 3 decent day's food being poured into 1 unhappy person.

This, despite labeling on everything etc. Where d'ya start?

I have a lower BMI than 93% of males in the UK and have a lower BMI than 69% of males in the world.

Basically, you have to get into all those African marathon running countries to get a lower BMI than I have.

No wonder I can't find any non chubby ladies online.

I do think that we have a very bad and wasteful attitude to food and as a generalistion I reckon fat people waste more...ie.leave food on their plate possibly because their eating is not structured. Famines used to be a problem and all hell was to pay if I ever left a scrap of food on the plate when I was growing up, and I still can't to do it now. The Biafra famine of 1970 with two million dead probably had a lot to do with that conditioning.

Famines used to be a problem and all hell was to pay if I ever left a scrap of food on the plate when I was growing up, and I still can't to do it now.

Perhaps the trick (not necessarily for you--just for people) is to put less on the plate to begin with, then people could clean their plates without a problem. :)

I have a lower BMI than 93% of males in the UK and have a lower BMI than 69% of males in the world.

Basically, you have to get into all those African marathon running countries to get a lower BMI than I have.

No wonder I can't find any non chubby ladies online.

+1

I know I'm underweight (6 foot 2 and 140lbs), but when I added an imaginary 50lbs to my weight, I still had a lower BMI than 80% of men in the UK!

I think I should set up a dating site for skinny people only. The bad publicity would probably actually work in my favour.

If you're starving it's your problem - if your obese it's your health care systems problem.

I don't think I understand what you mean. Isn't it your problem either way?

If there is any difference between the two 'conditions', it can only really be environment I would've thought.

There's probably little genetic difference between a starving person and an obese one. If one of the skeleton-people we're occasionally exposed to in the media had been born into a more affluent country, then I imagine they'd be about as likely to have a problem with obesity as those who were actually born and raised in the economically better-off countries are.

Given the chance, the average member of the human species (it would seem by looking at the available evidence of the people in the richer nations) tends towards obesity.

Only another effect of the growing inequality in our world.....money and resourses are naturally directed to where the earning ability is....corporates invent highly adictive products to entice the rich guillable to taste and favor....so much money is made then lost from the obese. ;)

I'm just in the normal range - 24 - and go into the overweight category if I put on ~3kg, which matches my personal interpretation of getting too lardy (normally cutting out booze fixes that one).

I could only realistically get down to a BMI of 23.5. I don't understand how anyone with my frame could get to a BMI of 19 (supposedly in the normal range) - I'd have to lose 17kg - perhaps if I deliberately became a weedy vegetatrian yogi!

BMI-male.jpg

There's probably little genetic difference between a starving person and an obese one. If one of the skeleton-people we're occasionally exposed to in the media had been born into a more affluent country, then I imagine they'd be about as likely to have a problem with obesity as those who were actually born and raised in the economically better-off countries are.

Neither Mexico nor Egypt strike me as being more affluent than a whole bunch of countries with lower recorded obesity rates...

30ngqhz.png

Re. the alleged role played by genetics, researchers studying the Pima Indians in Arizona, a group of people suffering from world-class levels of obesity and diabetes, dating back to their initial contact with European settlers, have postulated that the Pima are packing a 'thrifty' or 'starvation' gene that can't handle the calorie rich Western diet. The fact that the types of food they were eating changed markedly after European contact doesn't get much of a look in.

As with the Mexicans and Egyptians, the Pima don't strike me as being noticeably more affluent than other, slimmer groups.

I hardly think so. You'll live longer on food than without surely.

Fat people are usually stupid people, and in the west we covet idiots.

Perhaps I should state obese instead of fat.

One of the main issues is the general change in perception - in this country at least.

Having a double chin or 'muffin top' is seen as quite normal these days.

'Plus size' models are seen to be looked up to.

It doesn't make mush sense IMO.

If people drink or smoke too much - the media and general public have little issue in pointing this out to them.

Being fat should be the same IMO. The ' soft touch' clearly isn't working very well . ..

Fat people are usually stupid people, and in the west we covet idiots.

This.

When I see someone who is fat, I do automatically make an assertion about their character; that they are probably a bit lazy/lack willpower, and lack the self respect/self awareness to treat their bodies well.

I was ill as a child and saw plenty of examples of kids who were having to fight hard to stay alive or live something resembling normal lives, so it's a real raw nerve for me when I see people who were born without any disabilities voluntarily destroy their health.

This is actually the issue I have with dating a fat girl long term; not purely sexual attraction but that we both have fundamentally different belief's about what's important in life.

Girl I am dating at the moment says she wants to lose her gut, but was out binge drinking with her mates twice so far this week, never takes exercise, and shovels chocolate bars into her late at night. She's attractive, but could be far more attractive, not by doing something stupid and risky like having surgery, but by just making a few changes that would improve her overall health.

But most people would look at me like I'm some sort of Nazi if I made a statement like that in public.

I'm the same as someone from Estonia but still classified at fat by the BMI scale - although I'm almost pure muscle.

Perhaps it's time for Sir Bob to organise a global charity pop concert and release a single entitled something like -

"Eat less you fat b*stard"

Pictured in front of lardar5es on a saturday night out in Newcastle or somewhere.

"Give us your f*cking money!"

Could work