House Price Crash Forum
bomberbrown

' Shared Lives' And ' Care To Stay' Schemes

I just saw a BBC report on these two schemes. The first is where adults with health/mental issues live in a strangers family home and the latter is where a young person moves in with an old/aged person and looks after them in return for accommodation.

To be honest, I thought of the latter scheme about a decade ago as a solution that suits for both young and old. I'm surprised its not more prevalent to be honest. If my circumstances were different, I'd certainly consider it. Though I was surprised that the girl in the BBC report still had to pay £100 a month to live there. Perhaps it's a token payment to not muddy the legal side of staying there??

What do other people think?

I can't find a link on the BBC yet.

Brilliant ideas as long as the right (vetted, honest and trustworthy) people are doing it for the right reasons....

yeah, get them to submit to a report about crimes they werent able to commit before, yet now will have free access to temptation and fraud.

tickboxes never solved anything other than a method for bottom covering and buck passing.

" The first is where adults with health/mental issues live in a strangers family home "

I know of someone who did this 10 years ago ( strangely enough ), they took in 2 adults with mental health issues....oh how they lived. £50K a year to look after them, gave them little, did little for them, had a great life themselves, didn't work and just generally enjoyed themselves. The only down side...they had two nutters living in their house.

Same old thing...government hands out money...people take it.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

yeah, get them to submit to a report about crimes they werent able to commit before, yet now will have free access to temptation and fraud.

tickboxes never solved anything other than a method for bottom covering and buck passing.

I am sure a Boo Loo reference would be an excellent recommendation.

" The first is where adults with health/mental issues live in a strangers family home "

I know of someone who did this 10 years ago ( strangely enough ), they took in 2 adults with mental health issues....oh how they lived. £50K a year to look after them, gave them little, did little for them, had a great life themselves, didn't work and just generally enjoyed themselves. The only down side...they had two nutters living in their house.

Same old thing...government hands out money...people take it.

Free accommodation in return for being on hand in a house that has homeless or disabled people living in it has been around for years. Problem is, there is a reason they are giving it to you free. Did one for about six months (all I could handle) about 16 years ago, young homeless (3 of them) free digs, free electric, and no council tax, plus you could also work full time elswhere as long as you were around in the house to "provide support and guidance" four or five evenings a week. Nightmare. I eventually just went and rented a flat because it was far less hassle. Although for sure there will be some cushy numbers around if you research them first. My mistake was just jumping in to the first one I found, although people at the time warned me off it.

Edited by dances with sheeple