House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

What Do You Think Explains The Swing To Labour In Some London Boroughs?

Quite surprised that Hammersmith & Fulham went to Labour on Thursday. You'd think with all the Londoners whose houses have bazoopled in value during the reign of terror of the Tories that they'd be kissing their feet. Why do you think Londoners in so many of the rich boroughs (and poorer ones) turned to Labour?

I can't think of particular policy reasons.

But I'm guessing that a lot of Labour voters may have "lent" their votes to UKIP in other parts of the country but not in London for some reason.

Lots are probably lawyers, doctors and BTLers. Their taxpayer funded gravy train of legal aid, grotesque salary increases and housing benefit havent increased as quickly under the ko a lishun as it did under liebour?

Maybe there are lots of priced out renters looking for a reasonably priced home? Labour have been making lots of noise regarding capping rents and getting homes built.

Think you might be right;

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=6275117&c=hammersmith+and+fulham&d=13&e=7&g=6326400&i=1001x1003x1004&o=362&m=0&r=1&s=1401217731090&enc=1&dsFamilyId=2505

h&f has been mainly Labour for decades so I wasn't at all surprised. still a lot of working class people and social housing in the borough despite gentrification.

demographics dear boy,demographics.

wasn't it that pillar of righteousness yasser arafat that said "our greatest weapon is the womb"

...so these guys teamed up with the hardcore counter reformation, and hardline marxists and said "ok we'll give you the manpower", and you supply the contraceptives.

funnily enough we see similar antics in both northern ireland and many states of the US,and they do it with such a lovely smiley face and soft tones.

pity we've spotted the doc martins under the party frock.

If UKIP really are to be legitimate challengers now,then they need to get a grip(and dispose of) some of the "bounders" like hamilton.

the likes of him are serious baggage from now on, this really is clean your act up time.

Edited by oracle

Although subsidies and overseas buyers are boosting house prices in London and that house price mega bubble is being portrayed by the Coalition as a marvellous thing it obviously doesn't benefit everyone - not by a long chalk.

For instance there'll be a lot of average professionals/people aspiring to move up the ladder and finding that although their own house price in the low/mid price range has gone up a few percent the houses they're aspiring to buy are now impossibly out of reach. Before the Coalition's policies pushed house prices into the mega bubble they might have been seeing their dream house almost within reach - certainly not now.

So they won't be thanking the Conservative and LibDem Coalition for that.

Edited by billybong

Maybe it's the combination of high prices, low wages, high rents.

I am surprised by Labour's silence on Tower hamlets. Maybe they went along with rigging the ballot at council level in favour of rigging up 300,000 votes for the Euro-poll.

Just sayin'

Maybe there are lots of priced out renters looking for a reasonably priced home? Labour have been making lots of noise regarding capping rents and getting homes built.

Do people really think that builders will offer new homes for sale at reasonable prices whilst Labour's house price bubble is still inflated?

The only way to get affordable homes is for house prices to correct.

From folk I know in London:

1) Housing

2) Sick of the Tories blaming all of society's woes on the sick, poor, and jobless when they're surrounded by extreme wealth that seems to have got off very lightly post crisis

3) George Osborne/Ian Duncan Smith/Cameron/Boris are bellends.

4) Voting UKIP is like voting for Tory's only they're greedier and madder, their MEPs are all troughing EU money harder than the rest/don't want a flat rate tax/something else UKIP has said they don't like.

London is immigrant central and turkeys don't vote for Christmas

Towler Hamlets is 3rd world now. There has been massive intimimidaion and vote fraud. Some counts are not complete even now, and there are due to be enquiries. The Labour party in TH is under special administration and the other parties are nowhere.

From folk I know in London:

1) Housing

2) Sick of the Tories blaming all of society's woes on the sick, poor, and jobless when they're surrounded by extreme wealth that seems to have got off very lightly post crisis

3) George Osborne/Ian Duncan Smith/Cameron/Boris are bellends.

4) Voting UKIP is like voting for Tory's only they're greedier and madder, their MEPs are all troughing EU money harder than the rest/don't want a flat rate tax/something else UKIP has said they don't like.

But all those factors apply everywhere else, the house prices just more so in London.

Towler Hamlets is 3rd world now. There has been massive intimimidaion and vote fraud. Some counts are not complete even now, and there are due to be enquiries. The Labour party in TH is under special administration and the other parties are nowhere.

Can you clarify the last sentence please?

Clearly the turkeys of Fulham and Hammersmith just did.

Purely anecdotal but from my pool of say 15-20 good people I speak to about politics in some way, (mainly graduates, professional-ish jobs even if average salaries, nearly all renting)... none vote Con. They are seen as 'evil' and old-fashioned, not in touch with anti-racism, feminism etc and only out for the rich. I am not a Tory supporter but seem to be one of the few people I know who despise Labour more, worst of all worlds as get the corporate run economy with crumbs for welfare and silly pet projects plus PC and 'diversity'

All that I've spoken to agree with me that UKIP is a false panacea, most disagree with me that this can be useful in opposing LibLabCon.

This is just hearsay really as the real reason is more likely linked to demographics (immigrants see Tory as even more against them, largely unfairly in my view) and Labour clients both at the top (teachers, most non-corporate lawyers, public sector consultants and 'strategists') and bottom (who rely on housing benefit, tax credits and other benefits)...

Almost everybody I've spoken to is concerned about housing. Even those who have benefited see the current situation as an unsustainable bubble.

Half a million for a modest terrace house is 'normal' and rents are gradually becoming unaffordable. To be fair people are just having to adjust to having to move to the outer zones but this all contributes to a sense of unease.

I guess in London while people don't believe the idea of buying/building their own home as realistic they believe rent controls are.

But all those factors apply everywhere else, the house prices just more so in London.

True.

I think people can probably see the concentrated wealth around them a little more in London as well.

I think those outside London with a similar attitude simply didn't bother voting.

Not sure on turnout in and out of London, but 31 million potential voters not bothering to vote was the big news for me not UKIP.

Edited by byron78

Also a lot of second generation Metropolitan elite immigrants who also benefit from a steady influx of immigrants supporting their business' and property. I suppose in Miliband they have the second generation immigrant role model whose wealth has derived from inheritance and property speculation. The two things that matter most to the Bollinger Bolshevik .

Edited by crashmonitor

Can you clarify the last sentence please?

The Labour party in TH was taken over by radical muslims and had to be placed under central administration which kicked them out. They have now formed their own party - Tower Hamlets First.

There are far more that don't own/buying in London now than do own or are buying......Own and you are rich, priced out and paying a major chunk of your wages on rent or dependant on the state to pay your living costs and you are poorer than many people in most other parts of the country. ;)

True.

I think people can probably see the concentrated wealth around them a little more in London as well.

I think those outside London with a similar attitude simply didn't bother voting.

Not sure on turnout in and out of London, but 31 million potential voters not bothering to vote was the big news for me not UKIP.

Turnout on average was 34% but in Tower Hamlets it was around 50%.

Was it enthusiastic participation or ballot stuffing? I suspect

Edited by 1929crash