House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

M25 Speed Cameras

Anyone would think that the government might be a bit short of cash.

I make fairly regular trips from Hampshire to Essex to visit family, usually travelling in the evening - can go either way around the M25, distance is almost exactly the same either way.

The M25 has been a sea of road-works for as long as I can recall along the north section though some have gone now and there are four lanes.

Coming back last week I had to take the other route round the motorway as the normal route was closed, so found myself on the south section heading west - another four lane section.

Both of these have speed cameras at what look like about one or two mile intervals. A large digital display with a camera picture and I think the actual camera is on the back.

I'm waiting for the speeding ticket from last week as I thought that doing an indicated 85mph (speedo over-reads a little vs sat nav) along a completely empty motorway at night would be reasonable, but the camera disagreed and there was a brief moment of daylight as I went past one of them. Reading a little on this, they seem to trigger at 79mph so I'm guessing I was probably actually doing exactly that. I am sure I shall find out in due course when the tax demand arrives.

Driving up a little earlier than usual this week, I was able to see the behaviour of drivers on the motorway in these sections as there was much more traffic. As we near each camera, a sea of brake lights is seen, the traffic pattern of all four lanes is screwed with cars undertaking, people braking from say 85mph to 65mph and then speeding away again. Over and over. Just like it is on the A406 but then that has a lower speed limit and you tend to expect more braking - you certainly don't expect it on the motorway.

If there were any interest in road safety we wouldn't have two lanes being used as three narrow lanes in certain sections with a lane closed, with HGVs practically touching each other and undertaking cars doing the 50mph speed limit as they keep pedal to the metal to keep on at 56mph (limiter), then pushing back in again, as the road-works go on for literally years. We'd actually use the gantry and road signs to display relevant information - not some warning about fog which was actually from earlier in the day and long gone, or signs that say lane 3 is closing when actually it's lane 1 that's closing.. I observe that most people ignore these signs as they're so often wrong anyway.

I'd venture that road safety on the M25 has been dramatically reduced. But I'm sure it will bring in a fortune in fines.

I heard on the radio recently that new cameras are being rolled out on motorways. No sign, no bright yellow box and no quarter given. Hit anything over 70 and expect a fine in the post. This has not been made public knowledge for obvious reasons. So everyone look out.

I wish I could remember which motorway these have already been planted on. I heard about it on LBC. Nick Ferrari was talking about it and discussing whether it was fair these cameras had been set up with no warning whatsoever. No one seems to know about them.

It's basically a new line drawn in the sand. And a very predictable one at that, despite talk of raising the limit to 80.

On normal streets, they should put up speed cameras every 100 yards. There's an awful lot of incompetents behind the wheel. Or put GPS controlled speed limiters in cars. Or something.

Can't say I'm so fussed about what happens on m-ways. They're pretty safe environments for people to drive fast and/or badly - they're designed for (in terms of radii of curvature etc) something like 120mph and, not being streets, they don't have anyone on them who's not in an airbagged cage (well, motorcyclists excepted).

I just whack on cruise control or speed limiter.

I heard on the radio recently that new cameras are being rolled out on motorways. No sign, no bright yellow box and no quarter given. Hit anything over 70 and expect a fine in the post. This has not been made public knowledge for obvious reasons. So everyone look out.

I wish I could remember which motorway these have already been planted on. I heard about it on LBC. Nick Ferrari was talking about it and discussing whether it was fair these cameras had been set up with no warning whatsoever. No one seems to know about them.

It's basically a new line drawn in the sand. And a very predictable one at that, despite talk of raising the limit to 80.

Haha the billionaire narcissistic mindset. I should have thought of that idea.

Talk about raising the limit to 80mph, but introduce 71mph smart camera fines. Excellent mauahahaha That double think is on a new level.

Come to Birmingham...all the cameras have been turned off until a new budget is agreed...not sure about the motorways though

I would if only there was some kind of fast rail link there.

I got done a month ago. Quiet Dorset road. Camera in bushes i think. About 50 yards form where the road turns to 60mph,

Have noticed lots of traffic really sticking to 30 very diligently since.

I think there's a war on.

M4 Newport ( either side of the tunnel), there's a long stretch with variable average speed gantries for bloody miles I've been on it where it drops to 50 mph , gives me the **** it does !

m4_brynglas_tunnels.jpg

timed in.... timed out ........they do work though as I've rarely seen a speeder along them now ....

Haha the billionaire narcissistic mindset. I should have thought of that idea.

Talk about raising the limit to 80mph, but introduce 71mph smart camera fines. Excellent mauahahaha That double think is on a new level.

:D

In your avatar you look like Robocop with his helmet off on my smartphone.

It's a pretty cool avatar.

I got done a month ago. Quiet Dorset road. Camera in bushes i think. About 50 yards form where the road turns to 60mph,

Have noticed lots of traffic really sticking to 30 very diligently since.

I think there's a war on.

Yes. And the motorists will win. It's such a deeply flawed stealth tax.

Motorists eventually get wise to the fact they're being shafted. So they slow down. Now and then they still get ticketed. So they really slow down. It becomes a way of life. As it has done for me. I am super careful now.

So what happens next? These cameras are expensive to maintain. Without the revenue they're pulling in they become a liability. It will take time, but it will happen. People don't like getting shafted like this, and they do learn.

Expect cyclist road tax in the near future. No, really.

In reply to Tankus (quote function doesn't work any more since I "upgraded" to Win 8.1/IE11)..

I think this is the most salient point.

I think that the average speed camera zones do slow the traffic.

They actually work.

So you'd then have to question why the new cameras are the Gatso "single measurement at a point in time" type affairs which do not work, and why there are so very many, so close together.

The main reason I've always believed, is the average gatsos are used within contraflows - however when I pass them, perhaps at two in the afternoon, there's no work going on for miles and miles...these arterial routes should be worked on 24 hours a day IMHO to get them sorted out...

What usually happens is that people constantly slowing and speeding up for average gatsos, causes a wave of moving then non moving traffic...this can cause a number of accidents as people have to often brake sharply when traffic stops suddeny...I'd prefer traffic police weeding out bad drivers, rather than letting bad ones escape, but its ok, because these automated boxes will weed them out - oh yeah, but what happens if they're going under the speed limit? Will they catch drink drivers? Will they catch those cutting others up? undertaking? etc...

There was a sign on the M25 that said "Delays possible until 2015".

That was about two years ago.

Am I unreasonable in saying that there is simply no way whatsoever that you would see such a sign in, say, Japan or Germany? That you'd "plan" road-works to go on for literally years?

Fair enough, it is true that there are just too many people living in the South East and it's insanely busy.

However most of my trips are at night and I'd say that you do see a group of maybe four or five (at most) workmen actually working on a small section of the road.

Were safety a concern, this would simply not go on for years.

M1 is notorious, I swear these shysters deliberately set the speed limit lower to catch people out, even when there are no road works / congestion. Many a times on my travel have I seen one set of gantry boards where the speed is set to eg. 50 mph (with cameras behind them), whilst the next gantry is 70 / national limit. Even at dead of night.

The other thing that got me thinking, how else will this shyster government tax us from the loss in their earnings from more drivers buying more £0 VED cars?

Oh, one question... the camera flash was about ten days ago now. How long do I have to wait for the tax demand to come through?

@MT7726 - exactly that this week. Time around midnight. Gantry signs - mandatory (red circled) 50mph - "INCIDENT" in the section with the new cameras.

There was no "incident" evident. Nothing on the hard shoulder. Very little traffic.

The best one ever was on the M25 where it forks off to the M3 anti-clockwise.

No speed warnings at all until, as traffic approached, the gantry signs suddenly changed.

Lanes 2 through 4 - 40mph. Lane 1 - 20mph.

I've never had to do a near emergency stop (80 to 20) and simultaneous swerve on the motorway before. Thankfully there was nobody directly behind me and little traffic.

Oh, one question... the camera flash was about ten days ago now. How long do I have to wait for the tax demand to come through?

At home now, just realised it's a cat, lol.

Pepipoo is the place for up to date info. In my experience it is much more likely not to hear anything, after getting a flash, than it is and I've collected so many points I've received the prize of an additional paper licence sheet.

That's Maddy, our female.. she's very loving and doting, and follows me about. I think in that photo she was reading my reply to a thread on here..

I thought I'd have the tax demand by now. Maybe I've "got away" with the clearly heinous crime of doing circa 80mph on an empty motorway.

I do wonder if there's leeway if whatever the hazard was has cleared and they've been tardy in changing the limits.

I always drive around the M25, towing a caravan, at 25 mph! I actually don 't need that caravan! I just do it to piss people off!

I always drive around the M25, towing a caravan, at 25 mph! I actually don 't need that caravan! I just do it to piss people off!

I imagine the camels are certainly pissed off at that kind of speed.

You need to wait 2 weeks plus a few days for the post. Outside of that you should be clear.

FYI the cameras around the m25 are only active when limited and I hear variable limits can't be used against you if you change lanes between each one.

Around here, we have many roads used by motorcyclists coming across from England to ride in Wales. Nearest to me is the legendary A44, which passes through many villages. Motorcyclists generally respect the 30 limit in these, so they've taken to pointing a speed camera into the area at the end of the village just before it goes back to national speed limit. Bang to rights.

Nice.

That's how they got me.

Dear Coppers, stop hiding in the ******ing bushes with a speed gun, and do some actual coppering somewhere.

Way to alienate dudes!