House Price Crash Forum

£2.40 For A Bottle Of Water - You're 'avin A Giraffe...

HOLA441
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Errr. 2L of water for 17p in Asda. Sometimes I even opt for bubbles!

This has been true for years. Anyone paying more is daft (or has an M&S credit card), given it's the same product as Evian.

Also: you can get a bag of crisps in Asda for about 5p. Please don't draw quality distinctions - in nutrition terms it's the same crap.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Quite simple really, the only service to use at a service station is the loo.....take your flask,water and/ or snacks with you.......look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

Although I always follow that saying, I thought of a new one which is probably more apt.

'Look after the pennies and the pounds will be devalued by the BOE, leaving you as poor as you would have been if you had spend all your money in the first place! (unless you bought a house as protection against inflation).' :P

Edited by renting til I die

HOLA446

Although I always follow that saying, I thought of a new one which is probably more apt.

'Look after the pennies and the pounds will be devalued by the BOE, leaving you as poor as you would have been if you had spend all your money in the first place! (unless you bought a house as protection against inflation).' :P

Ha, good one......Any one else listening?.....if not I think we will have to shout louder.

HOLA447

I used to be very careful with the pennies, not anymore i buy costa coffee and choc cake, and would buy bottled water from where i am, i have a large deposit saved for a house that has no use, as it is not enough as house prices have gone up so much.

HOLA448

I'm not so bothered about service stations charging a premium for water since you can easily avoid having to buy it with a little forward planning, i.e. taking some with you. What annoys me is airports. You're not allowed to take water though security, and once you're though, the only water available is the super-expensive bottles in the shop. Either that, or water from the toilet sink.

HOLA449

I'm not so bothered about service stations charging a premium for water since you can easily avoid having to buy it with a little forward planning, i.e. taking some with you. What annoys me is airports. You're not allowed to take water though security, and once you're though, the only water available is the super-expensive bottles in the shop. Either that, or water from the toilet sink.

Buy the daily telegraph and get a free bottle.:-)

Edit: best read it before you get on the plane or risk annoying the passenger sitting next to you.

Edited by winkie

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Is it possible to die of smugness?

Not me...you pays your money and you takes your choice......:-)

They would l am sure charge £5 for a small bottle of water if they thought enough people would buy it.....2020 they may well will.

HOLA4412

Buy the daily telegraph and get a free bottle.:-)

Edit: best read it before you get on the plane or risk annoying the passenger sitting next to you.

Well yes, the Telegraph/water combination is the cheaper way of getting a bottle of water at the UK end. I don't normally bother reading the paper at all though since I've normally got something far more interesting to read. Must be a boost to the Telegraph's circulation figures though. <_<

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Same here. I fill a metal water bottle (cost $2) the night before and leave in the fridge overnight. I drink it on the way to work. Before leaving work I refill from a chilled dispenser tap. Was explaining to a colleague on Friday that this saves me $500 a year on top of avoiding a large pile of plastic bottle waste.

HOLA4417

Same here. I fill a metal water bottle (cost $2) the night before and leave in the fridge overnight. I drink it on the way to work. Before leaving work I refill from a chilled dispenser tap. Was explaining to a colleague on Friday that this saves me $500 a year on top of avoiding a large pile of plastic bottle waste.

water?...yeah right.....

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The airports should be forced to provide bottled water for free or for an at-cost value to those who have checked in. It is scandalous to charge a premium price for something that has just been confiscated from you moments before.

HOLA4421

Twop twip for the tight bastards,

When flying, drink a litre if water before you go through security and take an empty water bottle with you.

Once you get airside, go for a piss and piss in the bottle. Now you have something to drink on the flight. Its 98% water, so what's the problem?

That should fulfil Winkie and Kurt's smug/recycling agenda and Wish's frugal one.

As its you guys, you can have that twip for free.

HOLA4422

Twop twip for the tight bastards,

When flying, drink a litre if water before you go through security and take an empty water bottle with you.

Once you get airside, go for a piss and piss in the bottle. Now you have something to drink on the flight. Its 98% water, so what's the problem?

That should fulfil Winkie and Kurt's smug/recycling agenda and Wish's frugal one.

As its you guys, you can have that twip for free.

Why not fill the bottle with tap water airside? Whats with the drinking of piss - is this some fetish you have? :lol:

HOLA4423

Why not fill the bottle with tap water airside? Whats with the drinking of piss - is this some fetish you have? :lol:

Simon Calder - travel writer - says that he takes an empty bottle through security and all of the restaurants airside are obliged to fill it with tap water if you ask.

HOLA4424

Well, my personal experience is that the prices I knew at the start of my life are so divorced from what they are today, that I have totally given up trying to keep track. In fact I probably gave up about 30 years ago because of my lack of interest in 'small' prices. I try to focus on the big costs. Would I not buy a pint in the pub I'm in because it cost £4. Or go without a coffee at one of the big chains. No, would I buggery. There's a lot of pleasure one can miss out on by avoiding regular small treats for oneself because they 'cost too much'. Focus on the BIG picture people.

I feel for politicians when they are asked the price of a pint of milk or a weekly shop.

You're confusing the issues of wanting to save money with enjoying being tight.

Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves is an adage for people who get a buzz out of spending as little as possible. its complete ******** if you are interested in actually saving/making money.

I used to know a business director who used to go nuts when people wasted the odd sheet of paper in a photocopier. I pointed out to him that there were more important things to focus on in the business to save/maker money than the odd 5p sheet of paper.

The adage should be "look after/make the pounds, and you don't need to give a toss about the pennies".

HOLA4425

You're confusing the issues of wanting to save money with enjoying being tight.

Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves is an adage for people who get a buzz out of spending as little as possible. its complete ******** if you are interested in actually saving/making money.

I used to know a business director who used to go nuts when people wasted the odd sheet of paper in a photocopier. I pointed out to him that there were more important things to focus on in the business to save/maker money than the odd 5p sheet of paper.

The adage should be "look after/make the pounds, and you don't need to give a toss about the pennies".

I like the analogy of Brazil's approach to football. It doesn't matter how many goals you let in. Just make sure you score more at the other end.