House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice On Complaining To My Local Council

I regularly use the local beach, and walk along the local prom with my kids. I also regularly cycle along the same prom, which is allowed, as the prom is shared usage. There are no separate lanes, everyone just looks out for everyone else, although pedestrians have priority. The system works really well and is my personally preferred solution for mixing cycling and walking.

Anyhew.... I recently noticed some new signs had appeared spray painted on the prom itself - basically a picture of a cyclist with "5 mph" stencilled in.

My main gripe is that 5 mph is a ridiculous speed limit for cyclists - joggers, runners, kids on scooters, roller bladers and some walkers go faster than that. Seriously have you ever tried to cycle at 5 mph? I have a cycle computer and tried to slow down to 5 mph on the prom.... almost impossible to go that slow.

I have established that these were done the local council's parks and foreshores team. This raises a few questions:

Can they do this without consultation?

Do I have a right to complain?

Who do I complain to - the council? my local councillor? the press?
Yours sincerely
Disgruntled by the sea

You might also mention the lack of a tiddly om pom pom brass band while you're at it and tell them, in no uncertsin terms, a junior five-a-day outreach co-ordinator being made to do London's burning on their primary school recorder won't cut it either.

You might also mention the lack of a tiddly om pom pom brass band while you're at it and tell them, in no uncertsin terms, a junior five-a-day outreach co-ordinator being made to do London's burning on their primary school recorder won't cut it either.

You might like the Strathclyde, "double-D cup topless ladies accordian band! St John's Ambulance always in attendance for those few minor injuries!

Not to be taken as legal advice etc but...

Ignore the signs and continue as before.

Indeed... they're obviously not enforceable, and I have yet to see anyone, even toddlers, cycling that slow!

Just fancied having a go at the council for being stupid.

Surely this joke would be more appropriate if I was asking cyclists to go slower.... I'm arguing for the opposite.... slightly confused....

Find out when their cycling consultation group meets.

It'll probably be in response to complaints about idiots racing along too fast and not respecting people's ability to get out of the way.

They may even call it a leisure cycle route.
If you want to ride fast then go on the road?

Surely this joke would be more appropriate if I was asking cyclists to go slower.... I'm arguing for the opposite.... slightly confused....

I believe the line about cyclists not doing more than 5mph is in the 2nd verse.

Not to be taken as legal advice etc but...

Ignore the signs and continue as before.

If the speed limit is enforceable then the council will have amended the rules for that bit of pathway. Unlikely as it costs money and people can object to the process.

If you run someone over though cos you're speeding in shared space with a speed limit then you'll probably be at fault.

2 legs good, 2 wheels bad.

You'd be better off contacting your local rag and getting them to do a story about it - point out that the average person walks 5 mph so it is almost impossible for a bike to go that slow. It defeats the purpose of riding a bike.

They can get take a photo of you, with bike, looking disgusted next to one of the painted on signs. Get some cycling mates to turn up also.

FWIIW, we have such a painted two lane system on the prom going around Swansea Bay. By and large it is a very good system - except where they swap the pedetrian and cycle lanes over behind a war memorial which causes the occasional encounter.

However, every summer we have letters in the local paper from militant pedestrians and then militant cyclists respond - I was only reading this year's whinge this week. As I said, generally the system works very well but there are militant pedestrians who insist on walking on the cycle side - families on the weekend are often bad at doing this - and will not get out of the way. You get the occasional militant pedestrian who will look up at an oncoming cyclist and then deliberately move out in front of them to block the cycle path whilst, cowardly, glancing away.

Likewise, there are militant cyclists who simply race at ludicrous speeds and are often as much danger to other cyclists as they are to pedestrians - especially the ones riding in twos or threes side by side who think that oncoming cyclists should get out of their way.

Edit:

Don't forget to start a twitter campaign - the local rag will love that angle.

I believe the line about cyclists not doing more than 5mph is in the 2nd verse.

aah yes, silly me. I was thinking of the '56 flower festival version which replaced the 2nd verse with an extra 11th verse. That really got people talking!

You could also dress up as a giant snail and get photographed on your bike next to one of the signs - your local rag's editor will probably have a journalistic orgasm at that. Hold the front page!

You could also dress up as a giant snail and get photographed on your bike next to one of the signs - your local rag's editor will probably have a journalistic orgasm at that. Hold the front page!

genius. if only i had a snail outfit. :)

I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

It's not that you're being unreasonable wanting to cycle faster than 5mph. The problem is these days councils and companies follow a strict unspoken protocol i.e. "Car really bad. Bicycle not so bad. Walking good. Staying home awesome".

And their priority is to cover their ass should anyone get hit by a bicycle. They know you'll break the rules. All the cyclists will. But if something happens it's your fault not theirs now. And they won't take half measures. They won't suggest 10mph. Instead they'll go waaaay overboard and virtually tell you to walk your bicycle.

Common sense emigrated years ago.

Anyhew.... I recently noticed some new signs had appeared spray painted on the prom itself - basically a picture of a cyclist with "5 mph" stencilled in.

Is there room to paint in a 0 just after the 5?

You get the occasional militant pedestrian who will look up at an oncoming cyclist and then deliberately move out in front of them to block the cycle path whilst, cowardly, glancing away.

I've never been a fan of cyclists, but this sort of behaviour is equally bad.

FWIIW, we have such a painted two lane system on the prom going around Swansea Bay. By and large it is a very good system - except where they swap the pedetrian and cycle lanes over behind a war memorial which causes the occasional encounter.

I think you meant pediatrician.

I think you meant pediatrician.

You can be certain there's a high level ring operating amongst politicians when nonces get their own cycle lane.

You can be certain there's a high level ring operating amongst politicians when nonces get their own cycle lane.

Haha! You confused 'pediatricians' with 'pedicurists', you muppet. :rolleyes:

A pediatrician is someone who electrifies feet.

My dad phoned the council once to complain that the street light outside the house had not been working for weeks.

I came in about half way through the call and I kid you not, my mother, brother and I were in tears of laughter as he pursued the call.

Perhaps this says something about our expectations of local government.

I've never been a fan of cyclists, but this sort of behaviour is equally bad.

The black guy must be a security guard with his interjection about taking a picture is against the law :D

I live near the sea, so I reckon a giant whelk outfit would be OK!

I live near the sea, so I reckon a giant whelk outfit would be OK!

Do you find you like to be beside the seaside?

You might like the Strathclyde, "double-D cup topless ladies accordian band! St John's Ambulance always in attendance for those few minor injuries!

I usually have my little stick of Blackpool rock in my hand when I go along the promenade so I think the sight of your lady accordian players might be just too much for me.