House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Films/genres I Can't Stand

I'm working my way through the Empire 500 5-Star films (as in the rating, not the 1980s pop combo). It has made me realise there are whole genres of films that I just can't stand, plus some supposed classics in their own right that I find abysmal...

Westerns - almost without exception, even the absolute classics, just seem to be badly acted, poorly scripted and repetitive. I sat through Red River last night.... supposed to be John Wayne's best.... sheesh.

Japanese samurai - tried to watch Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Yojimbo.... all utter tosh.

LOTR and suchlike - lord give me strength - impressive special effects, but apart from that....

Wizard of Oz - seriously? Maybe if I was on drugs, but it's just like a pantomime!

Fellini's 8 1/2 - holy cow.... 4 times now I have tried to watch it.... I don't mind bizarre plot, or no plot..... but really what is it all about? I love numerous old/foreign/subtitled/arty films.... but 8 1/2 just leaves me bored.

I'll add more as I think of 'em!

The Gunfighter is a western I thoroughly enjoyed, dunno if it's on your list. I'm not a fan of the genre in general either.

Cheers, looks good, I'll check it out.

My favourite Westerm is "Blazing Saddles" where the sherrif is a Nig!

Tombstone was a good western and I like the Clint Eastwood one about a dead man coming back to the town where he was killed but the older ones are generally dire as you say.

...the Clint Eastwood one about a dead man coming back to the town where he was killed but the older ones are generally dire as you say.

Any idea on the title of that one? Tried to google to no avail

plus some supposed classics in their own right that I find abysmal...

Citizen Kane. It used to top all the polls of best movies, so I thought I was really looking forward to it. I found it boring.

Citizen Kane. It used to top all the polls of best movies, so I thought I was really looking forward to it. I found it boring.

I didn't mind it too much, but as you say it is so highly esteemed it is impossible to watch without feeling under pressure.

OP reads like a Viz letter.

How about naming a genre you do like?

Maybe film just isn't your thing.

You see films is my thing, I watch a lot of films. I like everything by Hitchcock, Coen Brothers, Tarrantino, Yasujir┼Ź Ozu, Scorsese, Orson Welles, Fritz Lang, Francois Truffaut, Billy Wilder, Stanley Kubrick, albert lamorisse, sidney lumet, Otto Preminger, john-pierre melville, nicholas roeg, Terrence Malick, spielberg, david lynch, lars von trier, alexander payne

Pale rider is a pretty decent remake if Shane. If you want an excellent Western you can't go far wrong with Unforgiven. Brilliant film.

I loathe musicals.

Even down to loving the Blues Brothers film but getting pissed off with every **** bursting into song just as I'm getting into it

Pale rider is a pretty decent remake if Shane.

There's a twist of the dead man returning theme, borrowed from High Plains Drifter, as well as that large dollop of Shane.

All too short though. The finest Westerns push towards the bottom-numbing three hour mark impo - The Good the Bad and the Ugly, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Once Upon a Time in The West...

Try The Searchers, my personal favourite western. Anyone who doesn't like the Magnificent Seven has something wrong with them IMHO.

I don't understand the fuss about Kurosawa either. Try Yoji Yamada's samurai trilogy - The Hidden Blade, The Twilight Samurai and Love and Honour are all very good.

I used love art films when I was younger, but now prefer dumb action films, thrillers and idiot American comedies.

Top 500 films lists are generally unimaginative. I cannot understand the fuss over Citizen Kane.

Part of the reason behind the fuss about movies like Citizen Kane is that in some way, technically or narratively, they were a dramatic departure from what had gone before. That impact is going to be kind of lost on most contemporary viewers coming to them today.

There are not many good Westerns. I think John Wayne and 50s/60s American TV casts a long shadow over the genre. Far far too formulaic and cliched. I do quite like High Plains Drifter because of its ambiguity. I also like the Bridges version of True Grit too.

I enjoyed Citizen Kane the first time. But I've never managed to sit through it again. Once the mystery is gone there's not much to pull you through it. It's very bombastic. I could only imagine watching it again with someone who hadn't seen it before.

Rom-coms I'm not keen on nowadays - although I used to rather like them. Again far too predictable and once you're married you realise what complete tosh they are. The classics like Bringing up Baby, African Queen etc are still brilliant though - and I still love Groundhog Day. Comedies, and modern ones, in general will struggle - although Clueless is still one of my favourites.

Art house films. Really lost my patience with these - if they don't meet the criteria of being entertaining, tell a good story, good characterisation etc. I'm not interested in seeing some film student regurgitate their take on Hitchcock, steal shots/dialogue from better directors etc.

Star wars. I never thought I say it. But it's overhyped rubbish mostly. Entertaining enough in its day, and at the age I first saw it - Wow! Some of the sequels/prequels have their moments. Part of the problem is that it's always been around unlike Disney's output. They are clever enough to rest their material so you miss it.

Musicals have to work really hard to float my boat. I don't dislike them - Les Miserables was excellent. But the songs feel like unnecessary interruptions to the plot.

Not liking Westerns but liking the Coens have you watched their 'True Grit' remake?

My take is that if directors like Ford, Leone and Kurosawa didn't make the Westerns and Samurai movies the OP doesn't enjoy very much, directors such as Scorsese and Tarantino wouldn't have had those earlier bodies of work to rip off from and incorporate into their own careers.

I'd agree that most Westerns are mediocre fare. There again, I think most movies, regardless of genre, are mediocre.

My take is that if directors like Ford, Leone and Kurosawa didn't make the Westerns and Samurai movies the OP doesn't enjoy very much, directors such as Scorsese and Tarantino wouldn't have had those earlier bodies of work to rip off from and incorporate into their own careers.

I'd agree that most Westerns are mediocre fare. There again, I think most movies, regardless of genre, are mediocre.

I have to say I enjoyed watching Django Unchained some great comic moments in the film.