House Price Crash Forum

The Greatest Album Ever

okaycuckoo

HOLA441

Fine choice. There were regular discussions in grunge rock circles... "Pearl Jam, Nirvana or Soundgarden?". Soundgarden hands down for me. Chris Cornell what a voice, what a rock god.

In early 1996 I swapped Prodigy 'Music for the Jilted Generation for a friend's copy of Soundgarden 'Superunknown'. Sadly, the family home got burgled and my CD collection and Hi Fi were some of the items stolen*. As the Soundgarden album got nicked I told my friend he could keep the Prodigy one. He wasn't all that keen on Soundgarden and I never got into that album at the time other than the track 'Black Hole Sun' .

* The burglars were a bit choosy - they chucked my 'Beach Boys' Greatest Hits album on the floor yet they took a Salt & Pepa CD single & a Reel2Real one too: "I like to move it move it" :lol:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

One of my favourite albums and one that has always brought me much joy is Ivor Biggun - The Winker's Album (misprint).

As blue as it comes (misprint) but a collection of some really good songs.

attachicon.gifWinkers Album.jpeg

That takes me back! Fantastic! :huh:

HOLA445

For those who mention Siamese Dream, no one ever says they like disarm, why? As a non muso I can only work from a gut feel and disarm really really pushes those buttons.

Disarm is a brilliant track, but Siamese Dream is 9 brilliant tracks put together, so choosing one above the others is a tough call. That's why I class it as a great album. I've just listened to Soma, stupidly good too. They did do a track on another album called Starla, which isn't bad either.

In early 1996 I swapped Prodigy 'Music for the Jilted Generation for a friend's copy of Soundgarden 'Superunknown'. Sadly, the family home got burgled and my CD collection and Hi Fi were some of the items stolen*. As the Soundgarden album got nicked I told my friend he could keep the Prodigy one. He wasn't all that keen on Soundgarden and I never got into that album at the time other than the track 'Black Hole Sun' .

* The burglars were a bit choosy - they chucked my 'Beach Boys' Greatest Hits album on the floor yet they took a Salt & Pepa CD single & a Reel2Real one too: "I like to move it move it" :lol:

Common sense burglary. Take Soundgarden, leave the Beach Boys. No brainer.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I remembered I'd picked up a copy of NME with their "500 greatest albums of all time" - so for some debate, this is what they think - lack of time and inclination prohibits typing out the full list but the top 10 is:

01. The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (1986)

02. The Beatles - Revolver (1966)

03. David Bowie - Hunky Dory (1971)

04. The Strokes - Is This It (2001)

05. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico (1966)

06. Pulp - Different Class (1995)

07. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (1989)

08. Pixies - Doolittle (1989)

09. The Beatles - The Beatles (1968)

10. Oasis - Definitely Maybe (1994)

HOLA449

I remembered I'd picked up a copy of NME with their "500 greatest albums of all time" - so for some debate, this is what they think - lack of time and inclination prohibits typing out the full list but the top 10 is:

Anything with Oasis near the top can`t be taken seriously IMO.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

They're certainly controversial.

nmetop500.jpg

To be fair I have never sat down and listened to this album right through, at the time I was too old to be excited by them, my musical tastes growing up revolved around Ritchie Blackmore, ac/dc etc. Oasis were only ever going to sound like a plodding pub band in comparison. Rock and Roll star, Cigarettes and Alcohol etc. were blasting out in every club you went into at the time, but is was background music to me, it just sounded derivative and done many times before.

It`s not that long ago that I realised that Live Forever was an Oasis song (I even hated their name when I first heard about them!) hearing it on the credits of the movie The Faculty (which I had seen before but not paid attention to the music at the end before) It`s only reading your post that I find it was actually on that first album. Mmmm...might have to give it a proper listen, but I seem to remember thinking that some solos etc. sounded out of tune at the time, and that the album really was a cobbled together exercise by a very third rate pub band.

There is a theory that they got the media attention because Kurt Cobain had died, and the music press needed someone to latch on to, but no doubt they worked hard (practised 7 nights a week at one point?) and put themselves out there with plenty of swagger, so they deserve success IMO, but not to be held up as musical geniuses. No.10 in the 500 best albums is laughable

HOLA4412

It`s not that long ago that I realised that Live Forever was an Oasis song (I even hated their name when I first heard about them!) hearing it on the credits of the movie The Faculty (which I had seen before but not paid attention to the music at the end before)

One of my all-time favourite films. "I always wanted to do that." "Casey, when did you become Sigourney Weaver?"

And possibly my favourite Oasis tune.. (I wouldn't describe myself as an Oasis fan per se, not really my genre)

HOLA4413

To be fair I like most of that list (The Smiths are my favourite band, love Bowie, adore VU, Pulp, Pixies are great, grew up on Stone Roses), but then I am a white boy from England. If the Telegraph posted their 500 Greatest MPs of all time 475 would be Tories, with 25 tokens.

Music is music. Music is subjective. Given this "The Greatest Album ever" could only be judged on a nexus of Accesibility (how many people like it) and Musicality (how much essence of music it has).

Therefore Beatles mixed with Miles Davis would be the ideal music. Since they don't mix you are forced to choose: listen to Sergeant Pepper's and Kind of Blue on loop until you decide which side you're on - easy or wonderful. Everything else is a gradation on that scale.

HOLA4414

These list are always dominated by what is current and fresh. I really like The Queen is Dead and Doolittle (for example) but they're too recent to that ?1996 list to be considered objectively. Strip out everything within the previous decade and you have:

Which is getting there.

HOLA4415

These list are always dominated by what is current and fresh. I really like The Queen is Dead and Doolittle (for example) but they're too recent to that ?1996 list to be considered objectively. Strip out everything within the previous decade and you have:

Which is getting there.

Fail.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest eight

As for a slightly different category of album - "the best album you've never heard of" - I would proffer this entry: Sunhouse - Crazy on the Weekend. Amazing album from a bunch of nobodies...*

In a similar vein - "Yes!" by Do Me Bad Things. Probably one of the most bizarre albums I've heard. Defies categorisation.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived