House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okaycuckoo

The Greatest Album Ever

I much prefer Mr Darkman's choice! You can't beat "Ziggy"! I still have a "very well played out" vinyl copy! Mr Ronson's guitar is superb! That one "bites"!

I also have some good "runners up"

Harvest by Neil Young

Year or the Cat by Al Stewart!

"Can't buy a thrill!" Steely Dan

"Mothership Connection" by Parliament, just to annoy ricists, and black people!

"Pawn Hearts" by Van der Graaf Generator, music to empty parties with!

"Hard" by Gang of four!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKbNZeJStmI

A band that started out with some very average albums (White Music, Go 2) did a good one (Drums and Wires) did a great one (Black Sea) and then did this masterwork.

After that the singer had a breakdown and when they reconvened for the next album the drummer lef the band because the songs were so much worse than they were before; I agreed with him.

Rumours, The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Love Over Gold, Thriller, Dare (Human League), Rio (Duran Duran), Faith (George Michael), What's the Story Morning Glory, Mezzanine (Massive Attack), Confessions of a Selector (Tim Love Lee), Help, Appetite for Destruction.

There's about 10 I couldn't choose from and some of the suggestions here are insane in the membrane. Sgt. Pepper has classic songs and an album really pushing the boundaries of what an album could be. Strong candidate.

Rumours, The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Love Over Gold, Thriller, Dare (Human League), Rio (Duran Duran), Faith (George Michael), What's the Story Morning Glory, Mezzanine (Massive Attack), Confessions of a Selector (Tim Love Lee), Help, Appetite for Destruction.

Rumours (for me) has to be the most perfectly produced, painstakingly excellent peice of music.

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside (yes I have Kate Bush tickets)

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure/Avalon

The Stranglers - No More Hero's

The Sex Pistols - Never Mind the B0llocks

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle

The Pixies - Surfa Rosa

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

etc.

Is this the thread where everyone racks their brain for the most obscure, arty-farty album that they've ever listened to, then present it in the hope of impressing all and sundry with their deep musical knowledge?

... and why does nobody ever vote for "Kylie" - Kylie Minogue? :)

Is this the thread where everyone racks their brain for the most obscure, arty-farty album that they've ever listened to, then present it in the hope of impressing all and sundry with their deep musical knowledge?

That'd be my copy of Organic Bondage by Wild Willy Barrett. The only album in my collection featuring a wooden sleeve.

As it happens, I've just discovered on wiki that Wild Willy only knocked up a hundred of the wooden sleeves, which must count as some kind of farty multiplier.

That'd be my copy of Organic Bondage by Wild Willy Barrett. The only album in my collection featuring a wooden sleeve.

As it happens, I've just discovered on wiki that Wild Willy only knocked up a hundred of the wooden sleeves, which must count as some kind of farty multiplier.

Can not be long before those start turning up on Cash in the Attic

As I'm into dance music I never did really buy that many albums. I have hundreds of 12" singles.

I'd have to go for something like Madonna - The Immaculate Collection (think it was called). Or, possibly, the Pet Shop Boys, Or, Jean Michel Jarre especially the Lyon-Houston one. Rendezvous IV... wonderful. Was there at London Docklands - that performance with Hank Marvin - sublime.

I think if you're talking pop music albums, Kylie does deserve a mention. Sorry, when I say Kylie, what I actually mean is Stock, Aitken and Waterman. As I'd say that "Better the Devil You Know" is possibly the best pop record ever made.

Before that provokes a backlash, the word "pop" is important.