House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wurzel Of Highbridge

Would You Change Jobs?

I have been working my current job since January. I quite like it here, but it's a 30 mile each way commute! £200 per 4 weeks in petrol.

There is a job come up 8 miles from where I am currently living - looks perfect for my skillset. Just a little worries the changing job too often wouldn't look good on my CV. BTW I am in IT.

My previous job was June 12 to Dec 13 when I was made redundant, previous to that I was emploed by the same company for 6 years and only quite to sample the delights of Ireland.

I am tempted to apply, but feel some loyalty to my new job in an office of 20. The job i'm looking at applying for is for a much larger national UK retail chain. Curent position is in the travel industry.

If you were actually looking at an offer of that job, would you take it?

If not, then kill the idea.

If yes, then why not see if you can get an interview and book a day off work for it.

Go along and have a chat for an hour and then do something nice with the rest of your day.

If you don't get the job at least you had a day doing something you liked.

If you do get the job, see opening line of post.

I'm sure you will be able to think of an "excuse" for your CV if challenged ;) Better opportunities, other place wasn't what I thought it would be, wanted to get into (insert thing here) more, and so on.

The only risk I see in that respect is if you had to repeat the exercise over again in a few months because the new place isn't what you thought it would be, as it would then show your last two periods of employment being very short.

I'm going to go for it! I did apply for the same job there and got an interview back in '10, but I didn't get the job. I have gained an enormous amount of experience since then.

The money will be about the same, but it's going to save me 7.5 hours per week (worth £350 to me) + saving £150 per week in fuel - so I think it's a no brainer. It will be sad if I have o leave here because everyone is so nice.

Another upshot is that IF I did get the job it opens up much cheaper living locations in Somerset as I won't be tied to Bristol.

Looks like a weekend working on the CV :)

I don't know about the new job but one thing I wouldn't do is post about it on here. What if someone at your current place of work sees it? Your recent change of circumstance must identify you easily.

Thread deletion (Nap)

I don't know about the new job but one thing I wouldn't do is post about it on here. What if someone at your current place of work sees it? Your recent change of circumstance must identify you easily.

Thread deletion (Nap)

If you knew the people sheeple I work with (lovely people) they won't be on here :)

Well, it's been a long month! I will be starting my new job next month + the wife has also secured a new job just around the corner from me.

Well done :)

That's good, you'll be able to find somewhere to shag on lunchtimes.

Or have lunch?

One good thing about the new job is it opens up all kids of lower cost housing opportunities for the both of us. Prior this we were somewhat attached the the Bristol market which is completely insane.

For the first time today I plucked up the courage to checkout Rightmove today near to where my old job is thinking a modest 2 bedroom flat would be around £200k and a 3/4 bed house about £350k. I was genuinely surprised that a 2 bedroom flat in Bristol (Clifton +/- 3 miles) seem to be asking £300k and house >£500k! I have never met anyone in this area clearing more than about £75k and they are very few and far between, it's more like £25k and sharing 4 to a flat.