House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LL75

Basildon Prices Up 19% In A Year.

I have not been able to post the link, but the Basildon Recorder is noting House Prices in Basildon have rocketed the most in Essex, by 19%.

Really frustrating, I was saving for 6 years for a small 2 bed house in Langdon Hills, but they have gone up from 185k last year to around 220k-225k now, which is totally unaffordable for me :(

I am left now barely able to afford ex-council places in rough areas with 5 times the rate of crime.

I have not been able to post the link, but the Basildon Recorder is noting House Prices in Basildon have rocketed the most in Essex, by 19%.

Really frustrating, I was saving for 6 years for a small 2 bed house in Langdon Hills, but they have gone up from 185k last year to around 220k-225k now, which is totally unaffordable for me :(

I am left now barely able to afford ex-council places in rough areas with 5 times the rate of crime.

instead of saving 6 years ago , that is precisely the time you should have bought , and should of been dumping what you bought 3 months ago

Many decades ago, my parents used to live in Pauls Road, Laindon - wonder what that's worth these days? I have absolutely zero chance of ever owning a modest detached house like that. My uncle also used to live across the road - it was quite affordable for them back in the late 70's.

Eventually my parents moved taking me & my sister to Cornwall in the late 80's - the reason for moving was basildon/aindon was getting rough, so feck knows what it's like these days?

I do wonder why I bother dragging myself out of bed to work in the mornings.

I love Cornwall (was down there two weeks ago), don't blame you and the family moving from Essex. I moved to Langdon Hills with my parents in 2001 from Romford. Currently living in the 1980's Crown Woods Development behind the Triangle Shops. Parents bought the detached 4 bed house, double garage Charles Church house down a quiet cul-de-sac for £250k (must be at least £450k now). For £250k now you would get a newish build 3 bed detached with single garage in Laindon. That is on the new Schools Estate off High Road directly opposite Paul's Road. I did enquire about new builds there a couple of months back. Small terraced 2 bed houses (no garage) start at £220k though!!

Langdon Hills is the best area, Steeple View is ok as well, other areas of Laindon (especially Alcatraz), Lee Chapel, Vange and Pitsea are pretty grim. Currently quite a lot of 3 & 4 bed terrace houses for sale in Lee Chapel at £185k-£200k, they look pretty rough faceless 60's budget housing, someone who lives there told me there was a small riot there a few years back, always loads of crime on the crime sheets there as well, probably because you have to park your car in communal parking out of sight!

I work in Basildon so it would be convenient if I could find a property there, Billericay, Brentwood and other areas are ridiculously expensive because it is perceived to be more desirable.

I know the 1980's Crown Woods Development, I was talking to my father about it the other day back in teh 80's he was gazumped on asimlar 4 bed house to what you describe so bought the house in Pauls Road across from my uncle who lived there at the time.

I guess the new Schools Estate you talk of would be on the site where my infants school & playing fields where - 'mill house'. Such a shame to overpopulate that area as it wasn't bad back in the 80's.

The regressive planning laws of no green fields development (like langdon hills was) is ruining the nice suburban areas country has. It's deliverate government policy to overdevelop existing residential areas and build x number of houses to the hectare.

The planning laws need urgently changing to let the free market to dictate housing density at the level people who are buying wish to have. The government interference in this area is causing misery for the entire country.

It is the school that was in the High Road, so I imagine it is the one you mention. They built one phase of housing (Bellway) about 5 years ago, they are just doing an additional phase there now. They are expensive though, even for a modest 2 bed terraced, starting at 220k.

There are also supposed to new houses being built off Dry Street, but that has been an on-going issue with the locals.

I have noticed that there are a few more properties up for sale in Steeple View/Langdon Hills in the last couple of weeks, ranging from £205k to £225K.

There was nothing on Rightmove a couple of months back, and it had been like that since before Christmas. I think everything has been flying out the door before it even hit the web site since late last year. As there are now a couple up there (which there wasn't for months) I wonder whether more people are selling, or whether it is a sign things are slowing down a bit. Even at 205k it is a good 20K up on last year.

Looking on RIghtmove today, I have seen a property listed in Langdon Hills, Basildon at 220k. I am sure the neighbouring property was on sale for 175k last year.

Looking at the price history, the property they are asking 220k for last sold in Feb 2012 for £173k!!

That is a whopping 47k (28%) more than it sold for just over two years ago. When will the madness end?

Just looking through some of the STC ones on Rightmove in Langdon Hills, Basildon, Essex.

I haven't been able to post the link here, but one that was up for £179,995, now sold STC. It is a small 1 bed (1980's build) terraced house.

Looking back through the history, the same house sold for £138,000 in August 2008.

I thought 2008 was the high point of prices, obviously not. That asking price is over £40k (approximately 29%) more than the 2008 figure it sold for.

Prices still ridiculous here in Langdon Hills, Basildon.

2 Bed end of terrace with garage sold STC (£230k).

Last sold January 2012 for £168k!

Can't post the link but the postcode is SS16 6EA

One property in my area (2 bed house, Garage at end of cul-de-sac, not in the best street) and needing extensive work has been on Rightmove for a month or so at £194,500. An offer has been put in for £198,000.

So no sign of dropping prices here, considering the house needs a new bathroom, new kitchen every room redecorating, (and the house looks as if it has been empty for a while) there are still people offering above the asking price.

Still no sign of any price softening here:

One property is up for £200,000, an identical property (and in better décor) sold in November 2013 for £180k.

The one up for sale is now having an open house day in January after being up on RM for a month or so. I don't know whether the seller is being overly optimistic, but the same property sold in March 2007 (wasn't that near the peak?) for £161k!

Asking prices are going a bit silly here now in Langdon Hills (and South Essex, Basildon, Wickford area in general) as people I imagine are spilling out of London further in to Essex :(

One 2 bed house (terrace Langdon Hills), went up in February for £220k, sold within a week.

Just before Christmas there was a 2 bed terrace (a bit of work needed doing) that was up for £210k, an identical property (bit better condition) was put up for £225k, that sold quickly.

There is very little on the market at the moment, there are a couple of 2 bed properties for £240k!

A little further out, (in Steeple View, still a reasonable area) a 2 bed semi with garage sold for (I believe) just under £210k just before Christmas. There are now two 2 bed semis up, one with just allocated parking (no garage), both for £240k. It's ridiculous that in the space of 4 months that houses have gone up by 20k-30k. It is barmy that small, effectively two bedroom starter homes, in a new town, (where wages aren't brilliant), are now touching quarter of a million pounds. In 2001 my parents bought a 4 bed detached, big drive double garage, un-overlooked, down a quiet road, backing onto the woodlands for £250k, mind boggling when you think of what that doesn't get you now.

I looked at a small 1 bed property in Langdon Hills for £175k on a Saturday a few weeks ago, that had sold STC by Tuesday morning.

I also drove past a nice "couple of year old" 2 Bed Semi with Garage, Bellway build that I had seen on Rightmove, in the dump of an area Lee Chapel North (19 burglaries in two weeks, doors being smashed in, cars taken off drives, Police warnings out, etc) there was a spate of women being attacked in the area last year as well. That was up for £225k and sold in a week.

It doesn't help when Basildon was bandied about earlier this year as being the most affordable area for City workers!

Even further out the prices are still solid or going up. Small 2 bed centre terraces with allocated parking spaces in Wickford, £210k-£220k. You just can't save enough to keep up with these rises. The other thing you are getting in that area is nice looking houses for £200k-210k, and when you click on them they are homes for life, and over 60's plans.