House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
officebum

Tenancy Deposit Rules

Hi can anyone help me understand if the rules on tennacy deposit protection apply in my case. We started tennacy back in 2006 before the deposit rules were introduced, we renewed contract couple of times six months at a time and went on a rolling month by month contract in September 2008. My landord has never written to say that they have protected my deposit since these rules but as my tennacy started in 2006 does it apply in this case?

Have looked on shelter but is unclear if it applies in our case?

thanks that is really useful, i more worried about our deposit as we are the ones leaving and our lovely landlady playing up

Well she's in a bit of trouble.

Try moneysavingexpert forums for a right of action over unprotected deposits.

Thanks i think i will go to town with her now

we handed her notice after 8 years renting from her, in that time we have given her no trouble as place we buyin is bit up air we asked if she could be flexible on date we move and she sent a snotty letter saying no flexibility and place better be in good condition if we want deposit back. Sheangry because she had it for sale and finally found another parasite to sell it too and she was worried that without tenants they might lose interest.

I hate the housing situation and annoyed we overpaying for a basic need but will be glad to be away from bloody landlords!!

Thanks i think i will go to town with her now

we handed her notice after 8 years renting from her, in that time we have given her no trouble as place we buyin is bit up air we asked if she could be flexible on date we move and she sent a snotty letter saying no flexibility and place better be in good condition if we want deposit back. Sheangry because she had it for sale and finally found another parasite to sell it too and she was worried that without tenants they might lose interest.

I hate the housing situation and annoyed we overpaying for a basic need but will be glad to be away from bloody landlords!!

Don't get upset about it. Just talk with people who have similar experiences, and take your time figuring out the best thing for you.

I can't advise on the question of if your statutory periodic tenancy has to be covered by deposit protection... but...

As you are buying somewhere you will have a solicitor on hand. Why not speak to them about it? After 8 years and bearing in mind fair wear and tear the landlady will have almost no grounds to withhold deposit! If she does take her to small claims court!

As for moving out (again speak to your solicitor) if you keep paying her rent she will have all sorts of trouble getting rid of you. And if you are buying and will never need a reference form her then you can do the old not paying the last months rent trick... if the deposit covers a months rent that is!... bit naughty but mighty effective!

Hope you find a good solution and hope you enjoy your new pad!

Thanks for all ur help guys our big problem is that we gave notice as we were thinking we would complete this week and the way our tenancy works we needed to give written notice before the periodic tenancy starting date in our case the 16th, thinking that 1 month would be plenty of time for last bits of our move to go through. But out of the blue the sellers have thrown a amajor spanner into the works and need to go to probate over a small piece of land that was not signed over to them from their mother who is now dead. Our soliciotr says this may take longer than a month to sort out.

Our landlady has already said she isnt going to be flexible on our move out date as we have handed in our notice is there any way of taking it back and making life difficult for her in terms of getting us out?

Hmm... Here is a question:

If tenant on a statutory periodic tenancy gives notice and then just decides not to move out do they then become a squatter?

Don't get upset about it. Just talk with people who have similar experiences, and take your time figuring out the best thing for you.

That's a very good advice. I must remember that myself, i tend to get upset when people are bastards. It doesn't hlep.

Thanks for all ur help guys our big problem is that we gave notice as we were thinking we would complete this week and the way our tenancy works we needed to give written notice before the periodic tenancy starting date in our case the 16th, thinking that 1 month would be plenty of time for last bits of our move to go through. But out of the blue the sellers have thrown a amajor spanner into the works and need to go to probate over a small piece of land that was not signed over to them from their mother who is now dead. Our soliciotr says this may take longer than a month to sort out.

Our landlady has already said she isnt going to be flexible on our move out date as we have handed in our notice is there any way of taking it back and making life difficult for her in terms of getting us out?

But why is she in such a hurry? Can't she wait a week or 2?

Worst case scenario, you can hire a moving company with storage facilities, and stay a week or 2 in a hotel? It'll be a hasle, for sure, but it is a roof over your head...