Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Recommended Posts

This time last year in the area of Poole that I monitor there were 46 houses for sale. The last 12 months have shown a steady decline in stuff coming onto the market

Today there are 16.

Anyone tell me what is going on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skyscraper flats for Poole

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14546066.Revealed__The___70m_development_that_could_transform_Poole__39_s_waterfront/

Why would people buy such flats when they'll cost more than a 4 bed detached house a mile up the road.

Those projected flats will look down on the boat traffic going in and out of the inner harbour and to the RNLI base. Great view, with the new Carter's Quay housing opposite to the left over the water.

The development site at the moment does nothing for Poole. Just peeling warehousing and a tired restaurant.

But the projected flats could well be another white elephant like Dolphin Quay. See BH15 1HH on houseprices.io, or my earlier posts on this thread.

Investment properties? - I don't think so. Newbuild apartments here seem to go only one way in subsequent resale price - down.

I totally agree about the three and four bedders available around £300K a mile away. Garden back and front, garage, parking. Who wants a flat?

Edited by juvenal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those projected flats will look down on the boat traffic going in and out of the inner harbour and to the RNLI base. Great view, with the new Carter's Quay housing opposite to the left over the water.

The development site at the moment does nothing for Poole. Just peeling warehousing and a tired restaurant.

But the projected flats could well be another white elephant like Dolphin Quay. See BH15 1HH on houseprices.io, or my earlier posts on this thread.

Investment properties? - I don't think so. Newbuild apartments here seem to go only one way in subsequent resale price - down.

I totally agree about the three and four bedders available around £300K a mile away. Garden back and front, garage, parking. Who wants a flat?

Oh yes a lovely view, but this is Poole its a small town without a market for this kind of luxury high rise flat.

People would prefer houses with gardens built in this area where there is an abundance of land. (once the nimby's were silenced)

Edited by Rigged
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yes a lovely view, but this is Poole its a small town without a market for this kind of luxury high rise flat.

People would prefer houses with gardens built in this area where there is an abundance of land. (once the nimby's were silenced)

Couldn't agree more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
15 hours ago, juvenal said:

Once again (a year on) I'm seeing a marked increase in the number of houses coming onto the market in my area of Poole. 

Simple mortality.

10 years on from 2008, 50% of people 65 and older then will be dead.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, longgone said:

Looks like a decent buy considering how expensive it is to live in or around Bournemouth. Could do with some money spent on it but could make do with things and slowly get through it if you're good at DIY.

I should add sorry, Winton is a student area, although a little ethnic once you head toward Charminster Rd. 

It's not a bad part of Bournemouth really, there's much worse places like Kinson and West Howe to the north west and Boscombe to the east of Bournemouth town centre.

Edited by spacedin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, longgone said:

I used to live on Edgehill Road 20 years ago, you're right in the heart of student land, when i lived there there were lots of HMO's lots of crap in the street, noise till the early hours all days of the week. And a good deal of the properties round there look like shite (read poorly maintained). But a lot of house for the money.

Edited by burk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing is there aren't really any terrible parts of Bournemouth. I would be happy living in any of them to be honest, even East Howe, Kinson or Boscombe. That bit of the South Coast has a lot going for it, only problem the estates is how long it can take to get into the town centre but Winton is alright.

I had family that lived there but I'll admit it's been a while since I've been there so not sure how much it's changed. Has probably changed for the better I expect.

Edited by spacedin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, spacedin said:

The thing is there aren't really any terrible parts of Bournemouth. I would be happy living in any of them to be honest, even East Howe, Kinson or Boscombe. That bit of the South Coast has a lot going for it, only problem the estates is how long it can take to get into the town centre but Winton is alright.

I had family that lived there but I'll admit it's been a while since I've been there so not sure how much it's changed. Has probably changed for the better I expect.

Not sure.

Ive not live in BCP. However I do visit a lot and have a few friends still in that area.

The greater Poole area is mainly a craphole. Its horrid.

Outside of Poole you get nice nice areas but the general feel of Bmouth is pretty bad.

In the 20 odd years Ive been a regular visitor, the area has lurched down and down, economically and general feel.

If it wasnt for JPM then the place would be like Middlesbrough on the South coast.

All other employment and economic activity - bar drugs and getting pissed - has gone away.

Southbourne holds on by its fingertips. It actually has one of the nicest 70s feel high streets Ive ever been on.

Christchurch is too old. Town being mobility aid shops.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, spacedin said:

Looks like a decent buy considering how expensive it is to live in or around Bournemouth. Could do with some money spent on it but could make do with things and slowly get through it if you're good at DIY.

I should add sorry, Winton is a student area, although a little ethnic once you head toward Charminster Rd. 

It's not a bad part of Bournemouth really, there's much worse places like Kinson and West Howe to the north west and Boscombe to the east of Bournemouth town centre.

i`m not really up to speed what is good or bad around the area, it was an idea i was knocking about having a holiday home by the coast. Seeing as 250k only buy a 1 bed flat if you are extremely lucky nowadays in London. 

 

16 hours ago, burk said:

I used to live on Edgehill Road 20 years ago, you're right in the heart of student land, when i lived there there were lots of HMO's lots of crap in the street, noise till the early hours all days of the week. And a good deal of the properties round there look like shite (read poorly maintained). But a lot of house for the money.

i noticed a lot of these properties have turned to hmo`s, there are lots for sale right now stupid money though 350k ish before you start upgrading them to a decent house from a slum hmo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, spacedin said:

Then again, I didn't see that video at first. Looks like a nasty bit of damage to the ceiling in the dining room. I wonder how much it would cost to sort that?

noticed that looks like the toilet above is leaking as its right above it.  Why would someone not address that before the lathe fell down though is beyond me. strangely  the front bay bedroom ceiling is the same but roof looks good enough for that not to happen. 

ceilings are not a big deal to fix rip it down or over board it and skim £300-400 if you diy the boarding. it`s the hassle of the joists if they are rotten. i have put a few ceilings up before, plasterboard is peanuts and so is coving.  

That house needs gutting all plumbing out and starting again. coal stores still at the back of the kitchen could be ripped out to extend the kitchen. toilet bathroom needs to be knocked into one. 

lots of works but not above DIY work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

UNCONDITIONAL LOT Buyers Premium Applies Upon the fall of the hammer, the Purchaser shall pay a deposit and a 2%+VAT (subject to a minimum of £8,500+VAT) buyers premium and contracts are exchanged. The purchaser is legally bound to buy and the vendor is legally bound to sell the Property/Lot. The auction conditions require a full legal completion 28 days following the auction (unless otherwise stated).

 

 

thieves 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/02/2021 at 08:44, spyguy said:

Not sure.

Ive not live in BCP. However I do visit a lot and have a few friends still in that area.

The greater Poole area is mainly a craphole. Its horrid.

Outside of Poole you get nice nice areas but the general feel of Bmouth is pretty bad.

In the 20 odd years Ive been a regular visitor, the area has lurched down and down, economically and general feel.

If it wasnt for JPM then the place would be like Middlesbrough on the South coast.

All other employment and economic activity - bar drugs and getting pissed - has gone away.

Southbourne holds on by its fingertips. It actually has one of the nicest 70s feel high streets Ive ever been on.

Christchurch is too old. Town being mobility aid shops.

 

 

Wimborne is the first of those 'nice areas' that spring to mind. Quite expensive in comparison though. 

I'm not saying there aren't crappy places, I just think that if you compare all the major cities along there, they all have their benefits, being close to London is essential for some but putting that aside Bournemouth comes out quite well. 

For the top spot, it's a toss up between Bournemouth and Brighton for me, with Southampton next and Portsmouth last. Pompey is just way too urban, nice to visit but I can't imagine how oppressive it must feel living on the island, even the nice parts like Southsea seem so cramped. Definitely has more of a bohemian feel around Southsea than most of B'mouth or S'ton, which seems to makes it appeal to younger people more.

Edited by spacedin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BCP area has changed so much in 20 years. It’s a big draw to incomers but getting spoilt now. The best bits will be the coast out of season. In normal times traffic is terrible and the jobs not well paid. So coat of living is high. Okay to visit for a short break. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.