House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Another Led Zep Lawsuit..... Stairway To Court

There is every reason to believe that Led Zeppelin’s guitarist Jimmy Page was influenced by “Taurus” when he wrote “Stairway to Heaven.” In fact, on its first U.S. tour in 1968, Led Zeppelin opened for Spirit. Over the next year, the two bands played on the same bill many more times, and Led Zeppelin performed some Spirit covers. Jimmy Page undoubtedly heard California’s song, and there is an uncanny similarity.

Led Zeppelin also has a long history of appropriating material from folk, blues, and rock musicians without crediting their original sources. The band has settled copyright cases out of court with the estates of blues musicians Howlin’ Wolf (over “The Lemon Song”) and Willie Dixon (over “Whole Lotta Love.”) Later, they settled a case over the authorship of “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You,” which they mistakenly thought was a traditional folk song. And in the 2010s, Led Zeppelin fought an extended legal battle over the song “Dazed and Confused.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterdecherney/2014/05/21/not-too-late-for-a-lawsuit-against-led-zeppelins-stairway-to-heaven/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJUdnTKlP1E

Everyone knows by now how "influenced" Jimmy Page was by other people's songs. But in this case it's a bit silly IMO. Taurus contains the same very generic descending 5 chords as Stairway. And errr.. that's it. No other similarity that I can hear. I wonder how many classical pieces contain the exact same progression? Or other songs? I'd lay money Zep could defend this case by presenting the court with numerous other pieces of music that sound very similar also.

ps-how do you embed YT videos these days? And I can't see how to name an url for short either?

I never play "Stairway to Heaven"! I liked it once! It's the caracature from Wayne's World!

And here's another very relevant video on the subject -

It's just a chord progression, and that's all Spirit had too.

And here's another very relevant video on the subject -

It's just a chord progression, and that's all Spirit had too.

I just got the spirits, and forgot the chords!

I just got the spirits, and forgot the chords!

Will you stop trolling my posts? I'm trying to present an image of sensible and topical debate :lol:

Will you stop trolling my posts? I'm trying to present an image of sensible and topical debate :lol:

There's nothing of that here! I do actually guitars, BTW! And now a ukulele too!

These stringed instruments will never forgive me!

No doubt that Led Zep, like many other bands, were more than happy to rip off other peoples ideas

The most notorious and blatant example is probably Jake Holmes Dazed and Confused (I believe Zep did eventually settle out of court)

Plants vocal on a Whole Lotta Live is a steal of Steve Marriotts performance of Willie Dixons 'You Need Loving' for the Small Faces

The one case where I don't think they are guilty is Stairway to Heaven which is just common chord progression that may have been used by Randy California's Spirit on the track Taurus but also occurs on thousands of other blues and country tracks. For example something similar is used by the great Davy Graham in his cover of Cry Me River which was recorded long before Taurus was written

BTW this argument has been going on for eternity on YouTube and is now officially the most boring subject in the history of Music

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterdecherney/2014/05/21/not-too-late-for-a-lawsuit-against-led-zeppelins-stairway-to-heaven/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJUdnTKlP1E

Everyone knows by now how "influenced" Jimmy Page was by other people's songs. But in this case it's a bit silly IMO. Taurus contains the same very generic descending 5 chords as Stairway. And errr.. that's it. No other similarity that I can hear. I wonder how many classical pieces contain the exact same progression? Or other songs? I'd lay money Zep could defend this case by presenting the court with numerous other pieces of music that sound very similar also.

ps-how do you embed YT videos these days? And I can't see how to name an url for short either?

Strange the comments from Mark Andes, that he only sees the similarity now, it is pretty obvious in a section of the Spirit song, but Zeppelin took it to a totally different place, bit late to sue now guys! I saw Mark Andes playing to about 50 people with an ex member of the Small Faces who were definitely ripped off by Zeppelin on another song, that is a very obvious rip off, although Marriot`s vocal is probably better. Strange how things have moved on though, that clip on the link of Led Zep live in New York looks very tame now, any kid could rattle out licks like that in his bedroom nowadays, due to all the online and other tuition that is available? Plant just looks mildly silly strutting and peacocking about :lol:

No doubt that Led Zep, like many other bands, were more than happy to rip off other peoples ideas

The most notorious and blatant example is probably Jake Holmes Dazed and Confused (I believe Zep did eventually settle out of court)

Plants vocal on a Whole Lotta Live is a steal of Steve Marriotts performance of Willie Dixons 'You Need Loving' for the Small Faces

The one case where I don't think they are guilty is Stairway to Heaven which is just common chord progression that may have been used by Randy California's Spirit on the track Taurus but also occurs on thousands of other blues and country tracks. For example something similar is used by the great Davy Graham in his cover of Cry Me River which was recorded long before Taurus was written

BTW this argument has been going on for eternity on YouTube and is now officially the most boring subject in the history of Music

I thought it was just accepted that Page lifted the chords from a well known Motown song? Don`t know the song though.

I had never heard of Jake Holmes! I never liked LZ much anyway!

The first LZ album was the best! What a pity they didn't write the stuff! :blink:

I'd rather listen to Steely Dan, or the Smiths, if you want to hear clever guitar, that doesn't make your ears bleed!

Every compleat nob learns "Stairlift to Heaven"! There aren't many chords in it and it's not very clever!

I sometimes worry a bit about my musical tastes. I think The Who, Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones are just so boring - I just feel the energy draining out of me whenever I come across them being played. I don't get them at all - although I think I've tried pretty hard to over the years.

I sometimes worry a bit about my musical tastes. I think The Who, Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones are just so boring - I just feel the energy draining out of me whenever I come across them being played. I don't get them at all - although I think I've tried pretty hard to over the years.

I think the Who, and the Rolling Stones, made some classic tunes, but not for a while, eh?

Any "Sensational Alex Harvey Band!" fans here! Now that guy could put on a show!

Always liked this song.

I think the Who, and the Rolling Stones, made some classic tunes, but not for a while, eh?

Any "Sensational Alex Harvey Band!" fans here! Now that guy could put on a show!

Daltrey has just done an album with Wilco Johnson which is supposed to be good.

I agree - except LedZep are more show biz and weird, which I enjoy. The Who and Rolling Stones are just upmarket from Status Quo.

The only interesting thing Jagger did was Performance.

We're probably not real rockers.

any kid could rattle out licks like that in his bedroom nowadays, due to all the online and other tuition that is available? Plant just looks mildly silly strutting and peacocking about :lol:

Hmm I disagree really. Yes some kids out there today can play amazingly well. But it's almost always a technical amazing, not a factor X amazing. Page had a very special feel for playing, as did the other "guitar heros" at the time. What they played often wasn't technically difficult to play, but that wasn't the point. The talent was in creating something out of nothing i.e. the pentatonic scale.

Clapton is probably the simplest player in existence, yet his solos were out of this world IMO. And there's no kid that can play like him. It's all vibrato, timing and phrasing. I think you've either got it or you haven't.

It's way, way more than just the same chords. The arpeggiation is very similar and most telling is when he bass note drops to the 5th chord it hangs for the next few beats until resolved in a very similar manner before repeating. Not to mention the tempo. Multiple similarities. There is a strong case for them being "substantially similar".

The Who - couple of genuine classics. Rolling Stones are definitely just a dirty Quo as someone said above.

It's way, way more than just the same chords. The arpeggiation is very similar and most telling is when he bass note drops to the 5th chord it hangs for the next few beats until resolved in a very similar manner before repeating. Not to mention the tempo. Multiple similarities. There is a strong case for them being "substantially similar".

The Who - couple of genuine classics. Rolling Stones are definitely just a dirty Quo as someone said above.

Better hope the estate of John Bonham does not start suing then since his drumming style has influenced countless rock and hip hop group (who have sampled him constantly) over the past 3 decades. In fact he is probably the single most copied performer in the history of recent music. But then people forget that Led Zep was a lot more than just Plant and Page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bonham

Anyway who really cares apart from the lawyers, Randy California's estate, ex band members of Spirit and the anally fixated bores on Youtube who for some reason find this matter interesting.

Daltrey has just done an album with Wilco Johnson which is supposed to be good.

Wilko is worshipped in PinLand!

Better hope the estate of John Bonham does not start suing then since his drumming style has influenced countless rock and hip hop group (who have sampled him constantly) over the past 3 decades. In fact he is probably the single most copied performer in the history of recent music. But then people forget that Led Zep was a lot more than just Plant and Page

I agree it doesn't matter but I'm sure many of the samples of legit. Bonham got his influence from the same place a lot of black americans people got it from - it's very "gospel" (think black christian church choirs). Have a listen too that Bonham uses a lot of echo effects on his drums which works really well.

Rolf Harris did a good cover version of it.

Can you tell what it is yet?