House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PricedOutNative

Royal Mail To Start Post Service On Sundays

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/royal-mail-to-start-post-service-on-a-sunday-9409568.html

After 498 the Royal Mail is to start Sunday deliveries...

My local council has just recently started charging for parking on a Sunday also...

I'm not religious but I feel it's a mistake to get rid of Sundays as a day that most people could have off and visit family etc... soon it will just be another Saturday...

Blasphemy! I don't want conservatory adverts on a Holy day!

We need a 7 day a week economy to get GDP up. After that we need to consider the 8 day week.

Exactly! It will no doubt add a few points to GDP at the long term expense of society; if you’ve got a nice old fashioned office job you can still enjoy your weekend off but more of the people I know who do manual work can’t attend their kids’ Sunday football matches.

Is this for the mail which should have been delivered on Friday & Saturday?

We need a 7 day a week economy to get GDP up. After that we need to consider the 8 day week.

So whatever happened to technological unemployment/underemployment, the 3 day week etc?

This is what happens with the increased competition - everyone works harder, longer and for less.

The Germans get it. When I lived in Munich the Barber only opened Saturday monrning and not at all on Monday. They also closed at 5pm every other weekday. I asked why he didn't open all day Saturday and later in the evenings and maybe Monday. The reply was that if he did it then every other barber would do it too and then everyone would be working longer hours while still cutting the same number of people's hair so what would be the actual point? Any barber that then decided to work less would go out of business.

We could do with a dose of such common sense here in the UK.

This is what happens with the increased competition - everyone works harder, longer and for less.

The Germans get it. When I lived in Munich the Barber only opened Saturday monrning and not at all on Monday. They also closed at 5pm every other weekday. I asked why he didn't open all day Saturday and later in the evenings and maybe Monday. The reply was that if he did it then every other barber would do it too and then everyone would be working longer hours while still cutting the same number of people's hair so what would be the actual point? Any barber that then decided to work less would go out of business.

We could do with a dose of such common sense here in the UK.

Sounds like anti-competitive collusion or concerted action to me, illegal under EU competition laws. Report him.