House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gandalf

The Nations Next Obsession

We've all seen the huge number of 'property development' shows on tv over the last few years, so what will be the next crazed obsession?

I have 2 guesses but they're both contradictory.

1) I have already seen an increase in the number 'making me a million'/'great business ideas' type programs.

2) The number of 'debt manament' programs have also been on the increase and could dominate prime time tv over the next few years.

Knowing the greed and desperation involved with 1) i can easily see millions rushing out thinking that starting their own business would be an easy way of making a million. However they would need money for this, which is why i think 2) is the most likliest scenario.

The next few years i fear we'll be seeing many different 'saving money' type programs. Will it be the end of 'property development' programs i wonder?

A return to period dramas... The escapeism britishness and old fashioned values cheer people up.. Its what we had in the last downturn.

People dont want to think about money when times are bad, they just want to escape to a distant place and never be reminded that others are making money, going on holiday buying houses etc etc etc...

Edited by moosetea

Victorian drama where they lived by candlelight and were cold and never had enough to eat before being sent to the poorhouse?

They'll have to make some feelgood tv.

Or show the volcano disaster film (Yellowstone), the Day after tomorrow, and other eco nightmares.

1) I have already seen an increase in the number 'making me a million'/'great business ideas' type programs.

In my opinion this is a byproduct of the house price boom. Couple A have always dreamed of starting a business. Their house is worth three times what they paid for it and they could comfortably pay the extra repayments if they took out a loan on the house.

Now the wonderful thing about MEW is that no questions are asked. No bank manager will go through your business plan, no equity investors asking about what experience you have in dress design / "high class" hairdressing / interior decoration. All you need is to sign a couple of documents and get a loan, then suddenly you are in your own business - your own boss and doing a satisfying job - for a while.

And all the time they will be telling themselves that they are so much more sensible than couple B who MEWed to get into BTL, or couple C who blew it on cars and holidays (and they will be right, to a point).

Martin Lewis (of MSE) has a new show coming out called "Make me Rich!" - series follows 12 families and shows how to cut back on spending, reduce interest on Credit cards etc..

It's not on air yet, but mentioned in his blog..

In my opinion this is a byproduct of the house price boom. Couple A have always dreamed of starting a business. Their house is worth three times what they paid for it and they could comfortably pay the extra repayments if they took out a loan on the house.

Now the wonderful thing about MEW is that no questions are asked. No bank manager will go through your business plan, no equity investors asking about what experience you have in dress design / "high class" hairdressing / interior decoration. All you need is to sign a couple of documents and get a loan, then suddenly you are in your own business - your own boss and doing a satisfying job - for a while.

And all the time they will be telling themselves that they are so much more sensible than couple B who MEWed to get into BTL, or couple C who blew it on cars and holidays (and they will be right, to a point).

I agree entirely with this post. But how scary is this situation? ... A bunch of idiots thinking that MEW'd money is 'free' money and then going shopping. Like you say, putting this money into a business would be wiser than blowing it on cars and holidays, however, if the fools on 'Dragons Den' are anything to go by, then the failure rate for businesses will climb.

We need a bit more Penney Poyzer too to show us the error of our energy waste too.

I can do without her 'Jabba the Eco Nut' lecturing. The hypocrisy of being lectured on cutting down on waste / energy use by a morbidly obese person is too much hypocrisy to bear. Reduction in stuffing your face is far up the '3r's' than recycling :angry:

Most of the advice she spouts is common knowledge & available from Gov / Green / Enviro Agency websites. The main problem is folks laziness in implementing it & taking responsibilty for their actions or consquences for future generations.

Fortuneately, rising energy prices & scarcer resources/ income is often forcing them to face reality now.

For anyone not familiar with her, see - http://www.nci-management.com/clients/penneypoyzer.shtml

The get 'rich quick. pseudo-entrepeneur' trend is equally disturbing. The reality fo start-ups is a 15-20% chance of survival these days, and thats scraping a living. Becoming extremely rich is not far off the chances of winning the lottery in reality, so its ultimately a fantasy.

Most people can't face the fact you have to have the mind of a narcissist & psycopath to reach the top in business, because that is who you are competing with, so it forces you to become like them or be eaten alive.

We need docs & progs on antipreneurs, social entrepreneurs & promotion of lifestyles that immitate or compliment natures low impact environmental footprint. True community building & learning to seperate spin or hype from reality would be useful too.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Is being in the red the new black?

I think I'm going to start a reality TV show where the winner gets all their debts paid off. It'll be great, I'm sure that these amateur BTLs and overloaded MEWers will go to any lengths to demean themselves to win... heck, they'll all be too afraid to sleep at night in case one of them starts murdering the others.

Edited by MarkG

For the next TV Obsession take a look at these posts on TMF. BBC Money Programme looking for indebted people to profile on debt feature. C4 looking for people to appear on a new lifestyle program about debt. Is being in the red the new black?

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=9689573

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=9685602

Just as i thought. For the new few years we're gonna have to watch a bunch or irresponsible tools getting rescued from the slums they've put themselves in. Although i simply can't see people getting enthusiastic about debt busting programs.

I agree entirely with this post. But how scary is this situation? ... A bunch of idiots thinking that MEW'd money is 'free' money and then going shopping. Like you say, putting this money into a business would be wiser than blowing it on cars and holidays, however, if the fools on 'Dragons Den' are anything to go by, then the failure rate for businesses will climb.

On the subject of the drags den missed the website bloke, was it a landlord site or something? I wish one or two of them would just tell these smug twats to do one with their poxy offers, having said that if you have to sink that low to go in front of that odd collection of freaks to get investment then perhaps you deserve the ball ache.

:lol:

On the subject of the drags den missed the website bloke, was it a landlord site or something? I wish one or two of them would just tell these smug twats to do one with their poxy offers, having said that if you have to sink that low to go in front of that odd collection of freaks to get investment then perhaps you deserve the ball ache.

:lol:

Yup he was simply offering a website which landlords could advertise their properties on. He was made 2 offers which i was suprised about but then again they were trying to take 60% of his business so he turned them down. What a whalley, he was almost garunteed, by the american millionaire, to walk away with £4M in 2 years.

It really gives me hope when i see the quality of some of the people that go on that show ... but like you say these people are generally desperate to end up on that show for finances anyway. Why don't they just MEW? ;-)

I think I'm going to start a reality TV show where the winner gets all their debts paid off. It'll be great, I'm sure that these amateur BTLs and overloaded MEWers will go to any lengths to demean themselves to win... heck, they'll all be too afraid to sleep at night in case one of them starts murdering the others.

Great idea, but can we have it in the style of the Japanese gameshow "Endurance". I used to enjoy that :D

Great idea, but can we have it in the style of the Japanese gameshow "Endurance".

Sounds good, as long as we can have naked lesbian mud-wrestling in there too. Maybe you can be the producer.