House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Car Boot Selling

I’ve got some stuff I’m trying to get rid of that is worth something, even if its pennies in the pound. Things like facebook selling and ebay take their time so I wanted to speed things up with bulk selling like a car boot sale.

I’ve never done one before (or even visited one since I was a child) so I’ve no idea if it would be worth the effort even to go visit one for a recce. We’ve got things like kids clothes and shoes, some brand new, adult clothing, women’s accessories, baby/toddler toys etc.

We’re not looking for top dollar but its got to be worth giving up a day or 2 of our time after paying the fees. Any advice from the frugalistas? What sort of prices do you expect?

Also need suggestions if anyone knows good car boots in the NW. Is Chelford still a ‘go to’ event?

If you do go to the car boot, I would suggest checking the completed sales prices (not the current asking prices) for all similar items on Ebay first. (use the 'advanced search' function) then price accordingly. This will give you a good idea of what the market value of your items is.

Seems like good advice above, someone I know had a boot sale to get rid of some clothes etc for cheap prices and many of her early customers were (it later turned out) other stallholders who sold the item again with a markup. Having a good idea to start with will do no harm. Could be good fun!

Small toys from 50p to £3 depending on original cost.

Clothes from 50p to £3 unless proven designer or original cost was high. It depends on quality to start with. If you price around 10-25% of original cost you will sell. Put prices on all items so they do not have to keep asking. If they are interested and hover for a while on one item, then offer a discount on your marked price. People love a bargain on top of a bargain. Sell good stuff and keep your stall tidy and organised so it looks attractive to people passing.

Good tools seem to sell well.

Clothes from 50p to £3 unless proven designer or original cost was high. It depends on quality to start with. If you price around 10-25% of original cost you will sell. Put prices on all items so they do not have to keep asking. If they are interested and hover for a while on one item, then offer a discount on your marked price. People love a bargain on top of a bargain. Sell good stuff and keep your stall tidy and organised so it looks attractive to people passing.

Especially old tools, the kind of things in garden sheds which look a bit old and shabby. Tradesmen know these are better made than modern tat and will snap them up. I once saw a stall selling old hammers, planes, chisels etc and men were swarming round it.

If you do go to the car boot, I would suggest checking the completed sales prices (not the current asking prices) for all similar items on Ebay first. (use the 'advanced search' function) then price accordingly. This will give you a good idea of what the market value of your items is.

I'm talking stuff worthless than the postage so ebay isn't much help.

Could be good fun!

You're wierd

Thanks, sounds about right. We've got 20-35% for some stuff via facebook but no bites at new, branded footwear at around 50%. As I said pennies in the pound by the time we get to a car boot sale, getting rid of is the priority.

Especially old tools, the kind of things in garden sheds which look a bit old and shabby. Tradesmen know these are better made than modern tat and will snap them up. I once saw a stall selling old hammers, planes, chisels etc and men were swarming round it.

I've only got 1 old tool and it ain't for sale

Good hand tools are practically indestructible.

Unfortunately, I rarely find use for my wide selection of Whitworth spanners, and the odd ones that came with iron bedsteads. ( I have about a dozen, and have never owned an iron bedstead).

I have a spokeshave that belonged to my great grandfather (though I rarely shave spokes).

I seem to have acquired about 6 electric drills, including my father's Black & Decker from the 1970's. It's one of the metal-bodied ones, and out of curiousity I looked up old ads to see how much it originally cost. About a week's wages back then! I think my mother bought it for him in the hope he would fix stuff around the house. She must have been sorely disappointed. The drill is in good nick, because it was never used.

Other good value items are planes, which go on forever (Stanley should produce a Model MH370).

I do love collecting odd tools. The best I think is an abalone gauge.

I'm talking stuff worthless than the postage so ebay isn't much help.

You're wierd

Thanks, sounds about right. We've got 20-35% for some stuff via facebook but no bites at new, branded footwear at around 50%. As I said pennies in the pound by the time we get to a car boot sale, getting rid of is the priority.

I've only got 1 old tool and it ain't for sale

You're selling your shoes?

Any Adidas trainers? Size 8 1/2?

Made over £100 at one last year with just junk, I couldn't believe it. Don't worry about squeezing every last penny, just price it to sell. I had a box of about 50 DVDs, priced them at 50p each or 3 for £1 and they went like hot cakes. WHen I walked round later other stalls had loads of stock of DVDs left at £2 each.

Half my stock went to other traders before the gates even opened. I was amazed frankly. Will probably repeat in a couple of weeks when the weather is guaranteed to be half decent.

I'm going Gandhi, so look out for me.

Not Adidas trainers either.

If you rub olive oil into your feet then bake them in the oven at 220 for 20 mins they'll be tougher than old boots. Win/win.

edit:ytpo

Pricing suggestions sound right to me.

Borrow some pasting tables or boards and A frames or any other sort of lightweight long table. If just doing one don not risk it with the weather - there is no advanatge really being one of a few sellers with few buyers on a wet day that will just soak everything.

Anything half worth some money - don't put out on table when the buyers swarm around your car when you first start unpacking. Anything half decent can/will go walking whilst unpacking.

Take company with you and some drinks / nibbles - can be a pain getting off the stall and getting fed/watered,

Made over £100 at one last year with just junk, I couldn't believe it. Don't worry about squeezing every last penny, just price it to sell. I had a box of about 50 DVDs, priced them at 50p each or 3 for £1 and they went like hot cakes. WHen I walked round later other stalls had loads of stock of DVDs left at £2 each.

Half my stock went to other traders before the gates even opened. I was amazed frankly. Will probably repeat in a couple of weeks when the weather is guaranteed to be half decent.

That's the thing, I've got better things to do than stand in a field scratching around for pennies. If someone thinks they can make another 50p on my stuff then good luck to them and £100 would be very nice. Would cover a decent family day which would make it worthwhile.

Pricing suggestions sound right to me.

Borrow some pasting tables or boards and A frames or any other sort of lightweight long table. If just doing one don not risk it with the weather - there is no advanatge really being one of a few sellers with few buyers on a wet day that will just soak everything.

Anything half worth some money - don't put out on table when the buyers swarm around your car when you first start unpacking. Anything half decent can/will go walking whilst unpacking.

Take company with you and some drinks / nibbles - can be a pain getting off the stall and getting fed/watered,

Need to blag a table, clothes rail of sorts, roofbox to fit stiff and kids, wife and kids for company. She's the shopkeeper anyway.

(David Attenborough voice)

'Here we see the male apes eagerly gathered round the sagging pasting table of old tools they handle the tools, feeling the weight, in a purposeful manner that belies their wive's constant nagging to put shelves up.

I'm not sure the tools are up to much really. I think it's more about a public display of 'yeah I do man stuff, get me looking at tools, I might work in an office but, I've got tools now and my wife lets me watch Top Gear at the weekend too. When that car restoration project I've got in the garage has petered out, due to lack of ability or self-discipline, I'II blame her on the ebay listing for making me get rid of it'.

(David Attenborough voice)

'Here we see the male apes eagerly gathered round the sagging pasting table of old tools they handle the tools, feeling the weight, in a purposeful manner that belies their wive's constant nagging to put shelves up.

I'm not sure the tools are up to much really. I think it's more about a public display of 'yeah I do man stuff, get me looking at tools, I might work in an office but, I've got tools now and my wife lets me watch Top Gear at the weekend too. When that car restoration project I've got in the garage has petered out, due to lack of ability or self-discipline, I'II blame her on the ebay listing for making me get rid of it'.

Crikey I've seen "grown men" buying a 3/4 inch size torque wrench, big enough for a Peterbilt, when in fact they needed the delicate sized one, suitable for a motorcycle! :blink:

For most people, they'd be better off throwing the whole lot in the skip and going to work on a Saturday for overtime rates.

Or throwing the whole lot in the skip and spending the day getting comparisons on your car insurance, house insurance, phone/internet,etc

Thats not nearly as much fun though and certainly no way to meet and chat with some interesting characters.

Thats not nearly as much fun though and certainly no way to meet and chat with some interesting characters.

I think its a valid point though and I appreciate bucker's input.

However its not 2005. Overtime is an endangered species and once you make the first comparison site cull of your costs, returns diminish exponentially.

If my wife did overtime, £70 a day so a reasonable car boot return, I'd have to babysit by myself. So that ain't going to happen.

I can hardly think of a harder way to make money.

I can hardly think of a harder way to make money.

I don't know about today, but some of my relatives used to make a decent second income through car boot sales and auctions/ebay until a few years ago. But you definitely need to know the price people will pay; they would fairly often buy some pottery for a pound or less from a car boot sale that they would sell on for a hundred or more.