House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Austin Allegro

Tv Lost And Found: Help Find The Name Of That Tv Prog You Can't Remember

The idea of this thread is that if you can't remember the name of a TV programme, film, radio play, play, novel etc, you summarise what you can remember and if anyone else remembers the name they post it.

I'll start.

1. A light comedy/drama series, early 1980s, about a Royal Naval training ship that was actually a building many miles inland. Title was HMS something or other. It was set in the war or the National Service era and was about a naval rating who used to have a sort of Billy Liar fantasy life.

2. A film, early 1970s, about a Jason King type decadent aristocrat in London who with a sexy chick got some bowler-hatted bank clerk to help in some sort of bank heist.

Great thread idea!

Sorry I can't help with either of these.

Can you help with medical comedy early to mid '90s, set on the Isle of Wight - possibly written by Phil Hammond - he made an appearance as a typical visiting surgeon?

It may have been sued off the screen as I used to work in Island hospitals and the comedy was uncomfortably near what I remember as the true situation! :huh:

The Isle of Wight medical sitcom was Doctors and Nurses, with Adrian Edmondson - from 2004, though I thought it was older...

I've got one that's been plaguing me for 20 years.

I remember when I was 6/7 watching a film that I can only really sum up in a few notes

I was 6/7 and it was on telly c1987

Plasticine animation

Elements of King Kong with a dark undertone (light horror, vampires, werewolves etc)

Slightly funny (though I'm sure everything was amusing to me at that age)

Undertone was slightly burton-esque

If anyone can help with that I'll be amazed.

Was the Navy tv series HMS Paradise? Starred Frank Thornton, Robin Hunter, Richard Caldicot and Angus Lennie.

The series is beloved to be lost unfortunately.

Thanks but I don't think so. IMDB says HMS Paradise was 1960s. I am pretty sure the one I am thinking of was in colour, so it would be unlikely to be from the 1960s. It's the nearest possibility though - well remembered!

The Isle of Wight medical sitcom was Doctors and Nurses, with Adrian Edmondson - from 2004, though I thought it was older...

Thank you. I could've sworn it was pre 1996, I remember watching it in my flat when I worked in Bristol. False memory, clearly!

I've got one that's been plaguing me for 20 years.

I remember when I was 6/7 watching a film that I can only really sum up in a few notes

I was 6/7 and it was on telly c1987

Plasticine animation

Elements of King Kong with a dark undertone (light horror, vampires, werewolves etc)

Slightly funny (though I'm sure everything was amusing to me at that age)

Undertone was slightly burton-esque

If anyone can help with that I'll be amazed.

Best I can come up with for that is the "Claymation Comedy of Horrors". TV special (1989). You can see it on YouTube.

TV series. Re-run around the early 90s. Possibly originally shown in 80s. Set in some sort of hotel and was rather kinky and I'm sure breasts were shown in at least a couple of episodes. I tried to find out what it was recently but did not find anything. I suspect it was shown late on BBC 2.

My request:

Late Eighties, early Nineties (mini?)series, conspiratorial style thriller with a male protagonist. I think the name of the show had a month in it, possibly preceded by another word, although I might be barking up a Red October tree there. Had a dark, paranoid feel, and I don't think I actually saw it but remember the "X continues on Y day" trailer and it was like the man was being hunted by someone or some shady organisation.

Thanks but I don't think so. IMDB says HMS Paradise was 1960s. I am pretty sure the one I am thinking of was in colour, so it would be unlikely to be from the 1960s. It's the nearest possibility though - well remembered!

Google remembered for me.

Are you sure it was Navy and not RAF? It could be Get Some In!

There was a comedy about an inland civil defence post where they had nothing to do.

I'll chuck in a new one:

Late 70s, kids TV, spooky goings on in the basement of some flats. Song was King of the Castle, possibly that's the title but I refuse to google it!

TV series. Re-run around the early 90s. Possibly originally shown in 80s. Set in some sort of hotel and was rather kinky and I'm sure breasts were shown in at least a couple of episodes. I tried to find out what it was recently but did not find anything. I suspect it was shown late on BBC 2.

Crossroads?

My request:

Late Eighties, early Nineties (mini?)series, conspiratorial style thriller with a male protagonist. I think the name of the show had a month in it, possibly preceded by another word, although I might be barking up a Red October tree there. Had a dark, paranoid feel, and I don't think I actually saw it but remember the "X continues on Y day" trailer and it was like the man was being hunted by someone or some shady organisation.

'Edge of Darkness' on the BBC with Bob Peck and Joanne Whalley and a host of character actors. Written by Troy Kennedy Martin. It was all about the Cold War, nuclear bombs, secret organisations and lots of people not being what you expected them to be.

Mel Gibson starred in a IMPO rubbish Hollywood version recently.

Is there a web site that helps you forget terrible TV series you wished you had never watched?

There was a comedy about an inland civil defence post where they had nothing to do.

I'll chuck in a new one:

Late 70s, kids TV, spooky goings on in the basement of some flats. Song was King of the Castle, possibly that's the title but I refuse to google it!

It didn't have an episode where they hung towels out of all the windows they could and discovered a window with no towel hanging from it, a secret room? I seem to remember there being some sort of spooky kids drama on around the late 70's, I think it did have quite a creepy theme tune.

There was this show with a bloke called David Letterman on it. It was on quite late.

Can anyone help with that one?

Late 1980s, south London yuppy-gangster series, very cocky and violent white lead man (in the Steven Mackintosh mould.)

Can remember 2 scenes vividly - one where he (or one of his men) gets out of his car walks back and takes the keys out of the ignition of the car who's been following him and chucks the keys away; second one he can't sleep and is sitting in front of the open door of his fridge in the kitchen. As I recall, it was all very stylishly shot. Very like Essex Boys but ~10 years earlier.

Love to see it again, as it was very much of its time.

Anyone?

Late 1980s, south London yuppy-gangster series, very cocky and violent white lead man (in the Steven Mackintosh mould.)

Can remember 2 scenes vividly - one where he (or one of his men) gets out of his car walks back and takes the keys out of the ignition of the car who's been following him and chucks the keys away; second one he can't sleep and is sitting in front of the open door of his fridge in the kitchen. As I recall, it was all very stylishly shot. Very like Essex Boys but ~10 years earlier.

Love to see it again, as it was very much of its time.

Anyone?

****** me Google is amazing. Found it on IMDB by searching on london gangster tv 1980s:

The Fear.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134246/

Starred a young Iain Glen.

Does anyone remember "The Guardians"?

Early 70's I think! About a British Fascist police state! Some episodes were not shown in Northern Ireland!

There was this show with a bloke called David Letterman on it. It was on quite late.

Can anyone help with that one?

Late Night with Conan O'Brien?

Kids tv thing. Foreign. Snow. Sleighs, hazelnuts being thrown to magically turn into things

Would that be that evil piece of perverseness from the DDR, "The Singing Ringing Tree"?