House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Shock Forecast: Worst Thunderstorms In 50 Years To Rip Through Britain This Week

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/476905/SHOCK-FORECAST-Worst-thunderstorms-in-FIFTY-years-to-rip-through-Britain-THIS-week

Many areas will face monsoon conditions as torrential downpours set in across the UK.

More than THREE INCHES of rain could fall in just 48 hours with widespread flash flooding expected as the worst thunderstorms since the 1960s hit.

The freak storms will also bring strong winds, hail and lightning with much of the country warned to expect weather MAYHEM by Friday.

The Express in full lockdown mode.

What's the betting it's just a few thunderstorms?

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said: "Fierce thunderstorms will tear across the country bringing torrential downpours and violent gusts

Vantage Weather Services - Predicting TEH APOKOLYPSES since whenever..

I've said this before, but my theory about why the Express and Mail love weather stories is because most of their readers still plod round to the corner shop in their slippers each morning to pick up the paper. They're being warned in advance to prepare with the right clothing so that they can still buy it.

What these papers should do is print special forward editions, say for the next three days. It would be the same old tat about Maddie, Di, house prices, Romanians etc, but dated three days ahead so that if bad weather is forecast, oldies could stock up on papers when they go to the shop. Hey presto, no risk of falling sales!

I've said this before, but my theory about why the Express and Mail love weather stories is because most of their readers still plod round to the corner shop in their slippers each morning to pick up the paper. They're being warned in advance to prepare with the right clothing so that they can still buy it.

What these papers should do is print special forward editions, say for the next three days. It would be the same old tat about Maddie, Di, house prices, Romanians etc, but dated three days ahead so that if bad weather is forecast, oldies could stock up on papers when they go to the shop. Hey presto, no risk of falling sales!

My theory is more nefarious..

Both of these papers are highly skeptical of global warming. Now, by coming out with a constant stream of 'EXTREME' weather forecasts, they discredit weather forecasting in general, and by implication, any science to do with weather or climate. So you end up with people saying 'These scientists are always predicting disaster and it doesn't happen,.'

Cue standard issue flame war..

Both of these papers are highly skeptical of global warming. Now, by coming out with a constant stream of 'EXTREME' weather forecasts, they discredit weather forecasting in general, and by implication, any science to do with weather or climate. So you end up with people saying 'These scientists are always predicting disaster and it doesn't happen,.'

I think it's more likely they're just desperate to have something to print that will sell papers. A friend of mine once said that everything in the Mail was designed purely so that pensioners would look at it, shake their heads, tut and say 'in't it awful....'

I think it's more likely they're just desperate to have something to print that will sell papers. A friend of mine once said that everything in the Mail was designed purely so that pensioners would look at it, shake their heads, tut and say 'in't it awful....'

Probably closer to the truth.

They were probably annoyed at the reports of violent crime going down.

Good lightning show in Chester around 7pm last night, and the thunder rumbled on into the night. The atmosphere was almost tropical.

Chester?...That's Bongo Bongo Land, isnt't it?

You could of course say the complete obvious - and it be just as likely. How many readers of these papers are likely to think back to stories from last week and actually think about whether they came true or not ?I would imagine a fairly small number !!

Most of them have online subscriptions so they can enlarge the font. But that causes problems for their colouring in with crayons.

I expect it will look like Bosnia! They had some rain at the weekend! :blink:

I'm tempted to stake out the newsagents with a camera and snap anyone buying The Express.

Surely I could threaten to distribute the evidence and blackmail them? Could be a nice little earner!

Are any HPC Noahs out there building an ark?