House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
R K

Cameron's Radio 4 Interview On Housing & Htb 20/5

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2014/may/20/david-camerons-interview-on-the-today-programme-politics-live-blog

Cameron confirmed that the government could limit access to the Help to Buy housing subsidy scheme. Three former chancellors are among those saying that the Help to Buy mortgage guarantee scheme should be made less generous, and when Cameron was asked if the government could consider cutting the maximum value of a home that can be brought under the scheme (currently £600,000), he replied:

Of course, we will consider any changes
that are proposed by Mark Carney
[governor of the Bank of England].
(Can you spot the patsy?!)

But Cameron also said that Carney had described Help to Buy as a well-targeted scheme, and Cameron defended the decision to introduce it.

I was very struck by the number of people I met who had good jobs, who were earning, working hard, but because they didn’t have rich parents they couldn’t afford the deposit on a flat or a house but they could afford mortgage payments and
the failing of the banking and the building society system, because of the crash, was letting them down
. So it was right to help people.

He also insisted that the average price of a home bought using Help to Buy was £160,000, and that 85% of those purchases were outside London. And he said he agreed with "everything" Carney said in his interview on Sunday with Sky's Dermot Murnaghan.

For the record, this is what Mark Carney said in that interview.

Help to Buy, which is a government policy, was put in place for reasons of access to provide access to certain types of borrowers, mainly first time buyers who needed high loan to value mortgages in order to get on the property ladder. It’s a pretty targeted programme, it’s a relatively small programme at this point but it could grow a lot and it could change attitudes in other parts of the mortgage market, that’s why we have to be vigilant ....
With respect to Help to Buy, we will provide advice to the government, we will do so publicly if we provide it, we’ll provide advice to the government if we think there should be changes to that.
The ultimate decision will be the decision of the government.
I would emphasise though that we do talk to the Treasury, I do talk to the chancellor, we try to be as co-ordinated as possible in ensuring that there is a sustainable development in the housing market and that’s not in the short term, it’s for the medium term. (
Trying to avoid being patsy!
)

He rejected suggestions that Conservative councils were acting as "nimbys" and blocking housing developments.

If I take my own district council, controlled by the Conservatives in West Oxfordshire, it makes its decisions but actually we've been building in West Oxfordshire more houses than was actually set out under our plans. So I don't accept that all these councils are Nimbys and one thing we have changed in government is the new homes bonus, so councils get an advantage if they agree to more houses being built. I think for many years in this country there was nothing in it for the local authorities to say 'Yes' to housing.

He also said that the government had changed the planning law to encourage more house building and that planning applications and house building were both going up.

• He said he wanted to extend home ownership. He said he was following Margaret Thatcher and other Conservative leaders in trying to extend owner occupation.

I think it wasn’t just Margaret Thatcher. Since the Second World War, Conservative leaders have always believed in a property-owning democracy. I think the introduction of the Right to Buy and those discounts Margaret Thatcher introduced were incredibly important in our country and I’ve tried to relight the Right to Buy fire, as it were.

Asked if he would have failed if people could not have their own home, he replied:

I want to see more people buy and own their homes.
It is a very natural instinct
. I think all of us – I can remember the moment I walked through the door of the first flat that I bought and the pride that you feel and you sense that it’s your own and you can develop and improve it.
It’s a deep, natural human instinct
and I fully support it and that’s what the Help to Buy scheme is all about and that’s what putting rocket boosters under Right to Buy so that people can buy their council flat or housing association flat, that is what that is all about.

It's a deep, natural human instinct.

By extension then, NOT buying a house must mean there's something rather inhuman about you (or perhaps German)

Edited by R K

It's a deep, natural human instinct.

By extension then, NOT buying a house must mean there's something rather inhuman about you (or perhaps German)

I want to see more people buy and own their homes. It is a very natural instinct. I think all of us – I can remember the moment I walked through the door of the first flat that I bought and the pride that you feel and you sense that it’s your own and you can develop and improve it. It’s a deep, natural human instinct and I fully support it and that’s what the Help to Buy scheme is all about and that’s what putting rocket boosters under Right to Buy so that people can buy their council flat or housing association flat, that is what that is all about.

I found this last comment pretty offensive. I must be German! (or an angle or a saxon! :P)

Edited by renting til I die

No - it is NOT a deep, natural human instinct to buy and own a property.

It's a deep, natural human instinct to have somewhere to live - not necessarily to buy and own.

It's not a deep human instinct to buy a place massively overpriced through government subsidies and to put your entire future at risk.

House prices being massively subsidised and supported by government through taxpayers money and by swindling savers to help to benefit the banks, builders, estate agents etc as well as to help to benefit sellers in general.

He doesn't explain why they're also supporting BTLers house price subsidies.

A deeply wicked policy.

Edited by billybong

Weird - he made a Take That reference.

Was probably wearing a 'Team Barlow' t-shirt.

No - it is NOT a deep, natural human instinct to buy and own a property.

It's a deep, natural human instinct to have somewhere to live - not necessarily to buy and own.

It's not a deep human instinct to buy a place massively overpriced through government subsidies and to put your entire future at risk.

House prices being massively subsidised and supported by government through taxpayers money and by swindling savers to help to benefit the banks, builders, estate agents etc as well as to help to benefit sellers in general.

He doesn't explain why they're also supporting BTLers house price subsidies.

A deeply wicked policy.

I am still amazed that there isn't one UK journalist with sufficient intellectual competence and moral integrity to throw these facts straight back in Dave's stupid shiny face.

Barlow sell high!

got it eventually.

I think all of us – I can remember the moment I walked through the door of the first flat that I bought and the pride that you feel and you sense that it’s your own and you can develop and improve it

Didn't hear the iview, but it sounds like he had to catch himself there when he realised that by 'all of us' he was excluding around 40% of the population.

Edited by R K

I am still amazed that there isn't one UK journalist with sufficient intellectual competence and moral integrity to throw these facts straight back in Dave's stupid shiny face.

I told a friend I was voting for UKIP he sent me this video link.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/16/nigel-farage-ukip-lbc-interview-video_n_5336322.html

Farage is ripped to pieces in this link. But I was just thinking would David Cameron been allowed to go on a show and been ripped to pieces like this?

Would Conservative central office have a profile of each interviewer and just stayed away from dangerous ones. Paxman could rip into people did he ever interview the leaders.

I understand the lbc radio interveiw made the DJ/interviewer look a bit of a c**t, no?

A complete hatchet job. Find it hard to believe there weren't other forces around driving that interview coaching before hand extra.

When it comes to it if I were to retire to Spain or Thailand I would look for a strong expat community would that make me a racist? a lot of Chinese live in China town they like to be among their own people does that make them racists?

Had a look on youtube couldn't find an interview Dave Cameron with Paxman so Dave was protected from the shredding.

Home ownership may or may not be a 'natural instinct' - but it is the only rational response to a society filled with psychopathic chancers out to milk renters for all they are worth. Even leaseholders face a battle against 'service charges'.

Too many people trying to get rich for doing nothing, and who have no compunction about helping themselves to other people's incomes. The UK may as well have no tenancy protections at all.

A freehold is the only way to escape modern-day serfdom.

I told a friend I was voting for UKIP he sent me this video link.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/16/nigel-farage-ukip-lbc-interview-video_n_5336322.html

Farage is ripped to pieces in this link. But I was just thinking would David Cameron been allowed to go on a show and been ripped to pieces like this?

Would Conservative central office have a profile of each interviewer and just stayed away from dangerous ones. Paxman could rip into people did he ever interview the leaders.

I didn't think Farage was ripped to pieces. James O'Brien, as funny as he can be sometimes, hates UKIP and put Farage under pressure with the same rubbish the rest of the media are doing. Farage still held his nerve pretty well under the intense questioning. I don't really see what your friends point was. Has this interview made you reconsider voting for UKIP?

The Dave interview was a good reminder why he will never get my vote, and shouting at the radio is a good wake-up. The "Steve Wright" free interview is washy enough to make the deluded voter think feet are being held to the fire, when he has got his shoes on and there is no naked flame.

I didn't think Farage was ripped to pieces. James O'Brien, as funny as he can be sometimes, hates UKIP and put Farage under pressure with the same rubbish the rest of the media are doing. Farage still held his nerve pretty well under the intense questioning. I don't really see what your friends point was. Has this interview made you reconsider voting for UKIP?

AOL, who seem very anti UKIP, did a poll titled "After Ukip's car crash of an election campaign, are you less likely to vote for them on Thursday?". Despite the leading question, the results are interesting.

Poll of the day

Decision time
s-NIGEL-FARAGE-small.jpg
After Ukip's car crash of an election campaign, are you less likely to vote for them on Thursday?
  • Yes
    12%
  • No
    54%
  • Would not vote Ukip anyway
    34%
Total votes: 15269

No I am still voting UKIP but I am not voting UKIP because I like them. The only other choices are blue Tory or red Tory.

I don't like the EU

We don't know what goes on in the EU and how do you protest if you don't like something. at least some protesters can go to London who is going to fly to brussels to complain.

EU gives money to rich farmers land owners. Stopping IDS getting his benefits must be a good thing.

We have a lot of tossers in the house of commons. We have a lot of tossers in the house of Lords we don't need a load of tossers in the EU as well.

Why do we have so many tossers? It's because Eton keep producing them and they are not prepared to stack shelves at tesco's

jobs for the boys I reckon.

At one time to become a police commissionaire you had to start as a bobby on the beat and work your way up. (Social mobility).

Now Cameron has changed the rules so you can come out of Eton and get the job. That's how desperate it's got to get their mates and kids into top jobs.

Dave and Osbourne introduced HTB to loan the deposit to those who couldn't afford it. Surely, if they stand by this logic (as opposed to letting prices fall), instead of reigning HTB in, they should lend more to keep up with inflating house prices. To me, it confirms the assertion that HTB was simply another way to suck in more buyers before the crash.

Do we need to invent a new law, akin to Godwin's, that describes the phenomenon whereby almost every thread on HPC sooner or later becomes a discussion about UKIP?!

Do we need to invent a new law, akin to Godwin's, that describes the phenomenon whereby almost every thread on HPC sooner or later becomes a discussion about UKIP?!

Farage's Law ?

Doh!

Farage-aday's law.

Far play it used to annoy when every thread became a gold thread. Would anybody like to say how gold is doing at the moment :rolleyes:

To be honest htb2 made me not vote conservative more than anything else they done. Maybe they realise they got a lot of angry voters who are going to give all three main partys

I suspect that homeowners are more likely to vote Tory, and people who buy, are less likely to rebel..

the failing of the banking and the building society system, because of the crash, was letting them down.

So the banks and building societies are failing to provide credit for mortgages because of the crash. The crash was caused by overextending credit for mortgages to people who could not pay that credit back.

So according to Cameron the solution to a crash caused by overextending credit for mortgage lending is to deploy taxpayer money to circumvent the banks reluctance to overextend credit for mortgage lending?

This is a joke- right? :lol: