House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Corruption

Price Per Square Metre.

As someone who once had a business selling crapply built overseas property to predominantly greedy people, the one thing these astute investors always wanted to know was the price per m2 thus all agents advertised this .... and those with a low price per m2 would sell like hot cakes.

So why is it that there is never a mention of this in the British property market.

This 45m2 slave box coming in at bargain price of 200K offers a price of almost 4.5K per m2, which is f'en loads ... an ok sized 3 bed semi would be around 100M2 including a garage so pro rata itd cost 450K in this average street.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44351923.html

Thus it seems the smaller the place the more you can pay per m2 in this corrupt little Kingdom.

Edited by Corruption

For some reason most people in the UK seem obsessed by the number of 'bedrooms' rather than the total floor area - which seems crazy to me. Looking at two similar places in two locations I wouldn't mind living in, the price per unit area is the thing which lets me work out their relative 'value for money'. I guess this is precisely why EA's don't like listing the area - it makes it harder to spot which 350K 3/4 bed house is 30% more expensive than the others :(

Some agents do seem quite good at providing floorplans with the total area spelt out. It really hacks me off having to add up all the little rooms myself!

What they count as living space does seem to vary quite a lot though - garages often get thrown into the mix. But it would seem that the figure given in the EPC is based on the habitable area only.

I think it's completely off the radar, even people lik eme with an active interest in these things has no idea (without working it out) what is a small, medium or large square meterage.

I suppose it can work to our advantage if you find a big old place, the rent is no more than all the usual pokey places.

It's actually the law in some Continental countries that price / m2 is in the advertising. Certainly in France. Wouldn't happen here - the building lobby must absolutely be terrified of the idea.

Edited by gimble

Location is a bigger deal in UK, rather a shoebox in the right area than a nice family home 10 miles from the right area.

Timperley vs Hale in Manchester always baffled me. A few posh shops and bars = 4x price per sq meter or more and no garden for the kids.

As someone who once had a business selling crapply built overseas property to predominantly greedy people, the one thing these astute investors always wanted to know was the price per m2 thus all agents advertised this .... and those with a low price per m2 would sell like hot cakes.

So why is it that there is never a mention of this in the British property market.

This 45m2 slave box coming in at bargain price of 200K offers a price of almost 4.5K per m2, which is f'en loads ... an ok sized 3 bed semi would be around 100M2 including a garage so pro rata itd cost 450K in this average street.

Thus it seems the smaller the place the more you can pay per m2 in this corrupt little Kingdom.

I know, I have never understood this either! In Europe they always shows the price per sq m.

Oh well. lets just split up that master bedroom and then, wow, look, we can sell the house as a 3 bed instead of a 2! £50000 extra for a £5000 partition wall! :angry:

It's actually the law in some Continental countries that price / m2 is in the advertising. Certainly in France. Wouldn't happen here - the building lobby must absolutely be terrified of the idea.

I remember seeing a link somewhere on this site (someone probably will find it, I'm too lazy :P) about how the UK was the 2nd most expensive place to buy per sq m in Europe with only Monaco more expensive!

A good reason not to tell the sleeple what the price of a sq m is!

+1

+1

Very large majority of people also do not have any idea what the square meter is.

It is much easier for them to count 1,2,3,... number of rooms.That is the very peak of their GCSE maths knowledge.