House Price Crash Forum
LayLay76

Olympic / East Village E20

Hi Everyone,
I'm been reading the site for a while (about 3 years) and its been a wonderfully insightful knowledge source. For a site that I stumbled across by accident, its now one of my daily reads. I stated reading the site after I discovered that although I was earning a fair salary I was unable to buy a decent home for myself.
So the reason for my post is that i've been granted a flat in the Olympic Village or East Village as it's now called. I'm due to move in 4-6 weeks and it's going to an interesting time for me, especially since the one bed flat I will be renting from the housing association is priced at almost 6 times my annual salary (£300000) and I could never buy one bed flat for such an eye watering price
I am yet to view the property, but I have been for my official tour of the East Village. There are those that expect the development to become a ghetto within the next few years, which I am obviously hoping will not happen. However, from what I have seen, and the number of interviews, employment check, bank account checks and credit checks I had to agree to, before I was granted approval to live in the development - it would seem that the tenants will be vetted with efforts made to try and produce a cohesive community.
​From my own personal view I am a supporter of social housing ( I hate that term) and I believe it should be a real choice for everyone. However, past governments as well as the current government have destroyed the very essence of what social housing was meant to be. I've been a social housing tenant for around 10 years and I have no doubt that having a place to live that didn't cost me most of my earnings has been a big factor in my ability to achieve better things in my career. I was able to take jobs paying less in order to gain experience which would eventually help me earn more.

So, I thought that perhaps my journey into this supposed new community may be of interest to you folks here. I'll report back on my progress as well as my experience of living in a planned new village. Of course, comments and questions are welcome, it would be interesting to get other peoples thoughts, views and general observations on this development.
Lastly some background on me for perspective.
Female, 38; employed as a service delivery manager in the IT departments of a communications company. Currently renting a flat in Newham East London, reason for the move to the East Village is due to 2 years of harassment, vandalism and abuse from the teenage sons of a couple families living on the same close.

It's a bit sad when a reasonably senior professional can't afford a house that's not in a slum on the open market.

Edited by bambam

Hi Everyone,
I'm been reading the site for a while (about 3 years) and its been a wonderfully insightful knowledge source. For a site that I stumbled across by accident, its now one of my daily reads. I stated reading the site after I discovered that although I was earning a fair salary I was unable to buy a decent home for myself.
So the reason for my post is that i've been granted a flat in the Olympic Village or East Village as it's now called. I'm due to move in 4-6 weeks and it's going to an interesting time for me, especially since the one bed flat I will be renting from the housing association is priced at almost 6 times my annual salary (£300000) and I could never buy one bed flat for such an eye watering price
I am yet to view the property, but I have been for my official tour of the East Village. There are those that expect the development to become a ghetto within the next few years, which I am obviously hoping will not happen. However, from what I have seen, and the number of interviews, employment check, bank account checks and credit checks I had to agree to, before I was granted approval to live in the development - it would seem that the tenants will be vetted with efforts made to try and produce a cohesive community.
​From my own personal view I am a supporter of social housing ( I hate that term) and I believe it should be a real choice for everyone. However, past governments as well as the current government have destroyed the very essence of what social housing was meant to be. I've been a social housing tenant for around 10 years and I have no doubt that having a place to live that didn't cost me most of my earnings has been a big factor in my ability to achieve better things in my career. I was able to take jobs paying less in order to gain experience which would eventually help me earn more.

So, I thought that perhaps my journey into this supposed new community may be of interest to you folks here. I'll report back on my progress as well as my experience of living in a planned new village. Of course, comments and questions are welcome, it would be interesting to get other peoples thoughts, views and general observations on this development.
Lastly some background on me for perspective.
Female, 38; employed as a service delivery manager in the IT departments of a communications company. Currently renting a flat in Newham East London, reason for the move to the East Village is due to 2 years of harassment, vandalism and abuse from the teenage sons of a couple families living on the same close.

I think you are very lucky to have social housing and I would bite your arm off to have the same deal. Unfortunately, I earn too much so have to rent from a private LL.

However as bitter as I am! :P Joke, I agreed with your assessment of London house prices. I don't think that the development in east London will turn into a ghetto. At least not for the next 20 years or so, and I would only be guessing about when or if it could go downhill (and I can't really see what will even happen over the next 20 years!). It seems pretty nice at the moment, although, little parking which is the same for any new development in London. I would image that it will be pretty empty for the time being, what with all those Chinese investors leaving their flats empty for HPI to do its work.

Hope the flat is nice and you get it and enjoy shopping in Westfields! We might even bump into each other in Stratford and have a beer together! I'll be the one wearing the hat saying that I hate Osborne! :P

Looking forward to your updates.

Edited by renting til I die

It's a bit sad when a reasonably senior professional can't afford a house that's not in a slum on the open market.

It is a little sad - but this country seems intent on short changing those that arguably contribute the most. The worst part is I actually feel like one if the lucky ones.

I think you are very lucky to have social housing and I would bite your arm off to have the same deal. Unfortunately, I earn too much so have to rent from a private LL.

However as bitter as I am! :P Joke, I agreed with your assessment of London house prices. I don't think that the development in east London will turn into a ghetto. At least not for the next 20 years or so, and I would only be guessing about when or if it could go downhill (and I can't really see what will even happen over the next 20 years!). It seems pretty nice at the moment, although, little parking which is the same for any new development in London. I would image that it will be pretty empty for the time being, what with all those Chinese investors leaving their flats empty for HPI to do its work.

Hope the flat is nice and you get it and enjoy shopping in Westfields! We might even bump into each other in Stratford and have a beer together! I'll be the one wearing the hat saying that I hate Osborne! :P

Looking forward to your updates.

Thanks

Hopefully it goes well, although as it's Newham I am remaining optimistically cynical (if that makes sense)

The parking situation is ridiculous. There is no street parking at all and an assigned parking space is going to cost me £60 a month. I have no idea why these developments are created without any thought for a standard thing like parking.

The parking situation is ridiculous. There is no street parking at all and an assigned parking space is going to cost me £60 a month. I have no idea why these developments are created without any thought for a standard thing like parking.

The simple answer is they don't want you to have a car, nor do they think that you need a car, as you can jolly well walk and cycle everywhere! And don't forget the great London buses and tube...when it is running. Oh boy, makes you want to get into your car and... oh right... However, if you do decide you just can't live without a motor, they get to bill you £60 a month for... well... a space.....they aren't they making fold up cars yet? Are they?

Thanks

Hopefully it goes well, although as it's Newham I am remaining optimistically cynical (if that makes sense)

You are a short walk from a major tube interchange and shopping centre with supermarkets and shops all on tap.

Very few new build developments in London are car friendly now - its the compromise you make. In my block those without allocated bays are not even allowed on street parking permits in the local controlled parking zone so either do with out or park miles away.

where in newham did the harassment, vandalism and abuse take place?

Beckton - where i've lived since 2004. For the first 5 years it was nice, peaceful even. Then in 2009 they moved in 2 families from hell, both single mothers with 5 boys between them and not a job or a father in sight. It began because I asked 2 of the boys to stop smocking weed on my doorstep and leaving their rubbish and spit on my door step. Tried speaking to the parents only to be told that I was a stuck up cow and didn't own the whole close.
Anyway long to short of it, my car was damaged repeatedly, £800 worth of scratches on the drivers side doors, two broken wing mirrors and 3 flat tyres in the space of 18 months. After repeated complaints to the useless housing association, I installed an HD camera and set up my laptop to watch over my car, I then wrote to my local MP who I must say was very good. I wrote to the chairman of the housing association and finally after having video evidence action started to be taken, but too little too late. I had banana's with some really nasty things written on them put through my letter box, my front door vandalised. It has been a stressful two years!

The simple answer is they don't want you to have a car, nor do they think that you need a car, as you can jolly well walk and cycle everywhere! And don't forget the great London buses and tube...when it is running. Oh boy, makes you want to get into your car and... oh right... However, if you do decide you just can't live without a motor, they get to bill you £60 a month for... well... a space.....they aren't they making fold up cars yet? Are they?

Indeed, silly me, I should know it all comes down to how much money they can get out of you.

You are a short walk from a major tube interchange and shopping centre with supermarkets and shops all on tap.

Very few new build developments in London are car friendly now - its the compromise you make. In my block those without allocated bays are not even allowed on street parking permits in the local controlled parking zone so either do with out or park miles away.

You're right, I am yet to see a new build development with enough parking.

Beckton - where i've lived since 2004. For the first 5 years it was nice, peaceful even. Then in 2009 they moved in 2 families from hell, both single mothers with 5 boys between them and not a job or a father in sight. It began because I asked 2 of the boys to stop smocking weed on my doorstep and leaving their rubbish and spit on my door step. Tried speaking to the parents only to be told that I was a stuck up cow and didn't own the whole close.
Anyway long to short of it, my car was damaged repeatedly, £800 worth of scratches on the drivers side doors, two broken wing mirrors and 3 flat tyres in the space of 18 months. After repeated complaints to the useless housing association, I installed an HD camera and set up my laptop to watch over my car, I then wrote to my local MP who I must say was very good. I wrote to the chairman of the housing association and finally after having video evidence action started to be taken, but too little too late. I had banana's with some really nasty things written on them put through my letter box, my front door vandalised. It has been a stressful two years!

i had some similar issues in CHINGFORD with the native chavs, though not on this scale.

as for cars, i haven't driven for almost 10 years as public transport is so good in london

from stratford especially. you can get nigh on anywhere in london

I cycle through the East Village every day on my way to work in the city. You can get a remarkably long way into town on tow paths and exteremly quiet roads (Through the Olympic park onto Loop Road, left onto the Hertford Union Canal path at the White Post Lane bridge, past Victoria park, left onto the Regent's canal, over the bridge by the climbing wall, through Meath Gardens, Bancroft road, Colebert Avenue, Malcolm Road, Malcolm place, Three Colts Lane and then wiggling through the back streets round Brick Lane.) Saves me more than £5 a day on travel.

The opening of the Olympic park has dragged central London a couple of miles further east. I just can't ever see the East Village becoming a ghetto - shortage of housing and the (disturbing) trend for Local Authorities is to shunt their tenants out of London will see to that.

For what it's worth, I like the new developments. They're human-scaled, set in huge parklands right on the edge of areas that are themselves improving weekly. When families move in and the area looks a bit more 'lived in' I can see it becoming a very desirable area. You've also got maybe the best transport links in Europe practically on your doorstep.

Redtom - I live in Leytonstone and do that same commute, though I go down to Hackney Wick via the lift. It's a lovely ride. Quiet roads and parks until Cambridge Heath road. The QE Park is about the best thing to ever happen to the area.

Thanks

Even if you have a parking space, car insurance can be a pain. I used to live next to Olympic park and I paid nearly £800 for my car insurance. Now I moved to zone 5 and car insurance goes down to £375 a year.

Have you considered joining a car club? Citycar, Zipcar etc. If you don't need to use a car everyday, joining a car club might be a good option.