House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Best Chinese Smartphone

...finally looking for a replacement for my iphone 3gs, which is slowly dying. I've been looking round the web for, perhaps a new andriod phone, and I see that you can pick up a decent chinese model for a third the price of an HTC or a Samsung, that are pretty well specced.

Anyone offer any recommendations?

...finally looking for a replacement for my iphone 3gs, which is slowly dying. I've been looking round the web for, perhaps a new andriod phone, and I see that you can pick up a decent chinese model for a third the price of an HTC or a Samsung, that are pretty well specced.

Anyone offer any recommendations?

Be careful. A lot of them are ladyboys.

Nexus 5. Not Chinese but half the price of a Samsung or HTC and just as well specced.

Convenience of the warranty and big name manufacturer (LG I think) rather than some Hong Kong back street manufacturer.

Look around or keep your eye on the mobile section on Hot UK Deals. Offers regularly come up for a handset for <£280 Craphone warehouse had it on for £240 a few weeks ago.

iphone is chinese.

I am told that most bottom of the range products for major brands are generic made in China and rebadged.. Toshiba admit that much, their Satellite pro range is Chinese.

On their own brand and built ranges, they have an interesting money back, free repair and return warranty.

I would go for the Nexus 5 now personally but there are lots of good Chinese phones coming on the market in the coming months.

A neighbour just got a 24 month contract from Tesco for a Nokia 940 Windows 8.1 phone - very good actually and superb for the money.

Changing the subject slightly, I was looking at those Mi Pads yesterday - some firm in China is making tablets that look remarkably like ipads and allegedly use very similar components... the only difference appears to be that these Mi Pads come in trendy colours... and are a lot cheaper...

http://www.zdnet.com/xiaomi-launches-the-240-7-9-inch-mi-pad-tablet-7000029539/

I've had a couple of Huwaeis. They are pretty good but don't expect to get more than a year or so without them failing. I'm just coming up to a year from my current one and expecting it to die any day now.

I'd stay well clear of buying the more obscure Chinese makes. They have fantastic specs for the money - but the one I had died within 3 months. Shame as it was a damn nice phone for that time.

Best value budget phone you can get is motog - for £100 its brilliant.

Best value budget phone you can get is motog - for £100 its brilliant.

Yes, but no Micro SD, so limited if you need a lot of storage. Would have been my first choice but for that.

Yes, but no Micro SD, so limited if you need a lot of storage. Would have been my first choice but for that.

Yes that was a bit annoying. However for most people the storage will be fine.8 gig is more than enough for me. Battery lasts a full two days as well. Very good compared to nearly everything else out there.

I would go for the Nexus 5 now personally but there are lots of good Chinese phones coming on the market in the coming months.

A neighbour just got a 24 month contract from Tesco for a Nokia 940 Windows 8.1 phone - very good actually and superb for the money.

It was possibly the Nokia 920 (there isn't a 940) I have one and it is a brilliant phone for the money, no idea how Tescos are doing them so cheaply only £199 sim free, I though it was just a stock clearance (maybe it is) as it's been replaced but the 925 and 1040.

Obviously it means using Windows 8.1 OS, but I personally think it's brilliant. The app availability is "limited", I put that in quotes because in all honesty 99% of the apps on the iPhone or Android are totally useless. The one big thing that was missing for me was the banking app for my bank, but that has since been converted so I now have everything I used to use on my old iPhone.

I got a Huawei Aspire W1 (I think it is) to replace my iPhone 3GS.

Nice little phone, went for that as it was a choice of very few as I wasn't prepared to pay Apple money for a replacement when it died given that I got the 3GS second hand and wouldn't consider giving Android another try for at least five years or so until it's ready.

Sadly only had 4GB of memory and with Windows phones, apps cannot save data to the SD card (due to be fixed with Windows Phone 8.1 apparently) - so as I listen to audiobooks the phone memory was full within months. So that didn't last long. Now replaced with an iPhone 5.

Get another iPhone. Nothing else has iOS.

I got a Huawei Aspire W1 (I think it is) to replace my iPhone 3GS.

Nice little phone, went for that as it was a choice of very few as I wasn't prepared to pay Apple money for a replacement when it died given that I got the 3GS second hand and wouldn't consider giving Android another try for at least five years or so until it's ready.

Sadly only had 4GB of memory and with Windows phones, apps cannot save data to the SD card (due to be fixed with Windows Phone 8.1 apparently) - so as I listen to audiobooks the phone memory was full within months. So that didn't last long. Now replaced with an iPhone 5.

Get another iPhone. Nothing else has iOS.

Shame,

You should have bought a Nexus 4.

I must be on another planet to everyone else.

Our 10" Android tablet has just been chucked and replaced with an iPad Mini. Despite the tiny screen size: it actually works. Has never once needed a reboot or factory reset and it's two months old now. It is lovely. Number of system crashes and resets: none.

That was the last Android device we had. Even now, nobody, including Microsoft, can come up with a competent alternative to the iPhone. Microsoft's effort was great and mostly stable apart from Internet Explorer when under heavy load (multiple tabs with screens full of videos, using it as a remote jukebox selector for the TV, though I accept Flash is far from flawless) but that design flaw regarding storage was the killer and an incredibly stupid decision by Microsoft. I had a phone with 7GB free on the SD card which kept telling me it was out of memory and that I should use the SD card while not allowing me to do so.

I do like the look of the Nokia 1520 as the extra screen space would be really nice, and at that price point (c. 450) it's competing with an iPhone, but it's just missing iOS so it's a no-brainer to get the Apple. Sorry Microsoft but you can't expect to charge the same premiums as Apple yet. I'll take the little screen and the lack of an SD card over Windows any day.

It isn't that Apple are outstanding. It's just that it "does what it says on the tin" so to speak. It works. And nobody else can say the same. And how many years have you guys at Google and Microsoft had now? You've been shown the way and still refuse to take it though Windows is a decent also-ran. Start with battery life, stability and quality, and build up from there. Or, keep pumping out shite and people will keep "upgrading", perhaps. In the long run: cheaper just to buy the Apple, though.

Interesting the different experiences we have, isn't it.

I ditched the iPhone around the 3Gs era as I realised it was no longer value for money and there was too much lock in. A critical use case for me was tethering. On the iPhone at the time, the network operator could simply lock it out completely. Stuff that I'll use my bandwidth how I like thank you very much. On Android, the option was always there to easily switch it on.

Then there was Apple's one step behind on the 3G front and screen size front. Not to mention poorer reception. I'd look down at my iPhone and see no reception while my cheap Android still had 2 or 3 bars. I don't care whatever else a phone does, it has to be able to take and make calls.

Finally, there was the price - you can get 3-4 decent Android phones for the price of a single iPhone. Even with the limitations above resolved, I'd consider a 50% markup for essentially the same thing with a bit more polish - but not a 3-400% one.

Maybe I would feel differently if my phone was my central computing device, but it's not - that's my Macbook Pro.

I have both an iPad and several Macs btw - which I consider good value even with the premium, but not sadly not the iPhone anymore. Although, in truth I probably wouldn't buy another tablet as the notebooks are light enough, have good battery life, near instant on and have more utility.

Very different experiences, it seems..

First smartphone was one of the old Windows ones. A steaming pile of turd, riddled with bugs (though probably still better than Android is now), prone to crashing, with a piece of kit called ActiveSync which ... well, didn't.

Second was a Samsung Galaxy S Android one. Everything except the screen was pretty appalling, stability so poor that opening one app could crash the whole phone. Battery life appalling. Nothing worked consistently, always needing reboots.

Third was an iPhone 3GS which I got second hand. Was older than the Samsung and looked far from sexy by comparison. Yet even still that small screen was bearable because everything else worked. Perfectly. All the time. Loved it. Brand new Samsung ditched in favour of this ancient old phone. It died in the end, just really old.

Ruled out Android already, I couldn't believe it had gone from a pre-release beta (I think they called it "Jellybean") back in about 2012 to something actually useable and ready for market yet - it's about where Windows 95 was back in the day. Went for the Windows one.

Handset was only about £160. All works nicely. Bargain really. Except for MS's daft decision to insist that app data is stored in memory. So six months later, it's useless.

Now left with two options - more expensive Windows one with more on-board memory, or iPhone.

Actually there was a third option - second hand iPhone. However the market for those is a bit of a trap and you can end up with anything.

iPhone it was. It was four times the cost of the Windows one. But, it is more than four times more useful.

I have a very low tolerance threshold for rubbish software and gadgets which don't really work. If Android really is ready for market now then it might be worth a look in but I'd have said anyone who has had an Apple device is going to be pretty disappointed with an Android one. Superficially at first a new handset, almost anything, is going to have a better screen and look more sexy. But wait a couple of months until you've lived with it, and you'll be begging for the 3GS back again.

The iPhone - no SD card, arguably overpriced, and it doesn't look "funky" in the same way that the newer Samsungs do. But, it does work flawlessly. For me that does make it worth four times the price. Though I was stuck with this internal debate in my head for some time. Can I really justify paying all that money just for a mobile phone? It isn't "just a bit more expensive".

It would be nice if there were another entrant in the market priced somewhere between the Android dross and the Apple kit. I thought that player might be Microsoft and to some extent, it is - there's quite a range of decent midrange Nokias now running Windows. Those would be among my recommendations for anyone wanting a cheap to midrange phone though some have battery life issues - worth checking.

But it seems that so far as the market goes, you have people who want the status symbol or the reliability of Apple kit and will - in my case, grudgingly - pay whatever it costs, and then.. everyone else. I was going to say that I'm amazed Apple's prices have held up as they have, but then perhaps it's not surprising at all. I wonder if anything will ever cause the retail pricing of the iPhone to fall, as predictions are that the iPhone 6 will be even more expensive than the iPhone 5 was.

Moto g is a fifth the cost of an I phone - and I see little difference.

Both only have internal storage. The moto has far better battery life and screen. Its camera isnt quite as good. Both operating systems seem to work very well. I think the moto actually runs faster due to its quad processor.

Never had issues with android.

The main problem, is that the Android Play Store is like the wild west...At least with iTunes or the Windows Store (you would hope) that each app has been tested to destruction...I have heard of people having their details nicked via Android apps...

Moto g is a fifth the cost of an I phone - and I see little difference.

Both only have internal storage. The moto has far better battery life and screen. Its camera isnt quite as good. Both operating systems seem to work very well. I think the moto actually runs faster due to its quad processor.

Never had issues with android.

My three year old Samsung Galaxy S2 (My first Android after years with Windows mobile) still does everything I want quickly and reliably. I was thinking of getting an S4, which are available at a reasonable price now that the S5 is out, but I don't think I'd get any significant benefit. The kids swear by Iphones, but I can't see what they can do that I can't.

I think that the security issues pervade all the operating systems.

I've always assumed that the reason that Android was (is still?) so unstable, is because it doesn't have a proper "hardware abstraction layer".

For example I can't recall the last time this desktop was brought down by a failing app. That was pretty well sorted by the time we'd got to about Windows 2000 SP3 or whatever. Apps just can't crash the OS.

I never did see the Apple phone OS go down thanks to a failing app, either. I think the OS is pretty intolerant of apps and kills them quickly if they don't respond or shut down as they should.

Whereas with Android just opening an app can hang the whole thing so you have to take the battery out and put it back in again.

No Google Maps on Windows Phone, but then no Google Maps on that Android either - opening the app would crash the phone most times. I accept that this hasn't been the case for everybody and that my experiences were pretty poor.

There's something "missing" from the Android OS which makes it possible for that to happen. This, specifically, is what I mean by "pre release beta" and "unfinished software".

Windows Phone is pretty good but memory management doesn't seem as good as Apple's, it does speed up a bit after a reboot and while the browser on a modern Windows Phone will walk all over the one on the 3GS, it wasn't entirely stable on the handset I had.

Android are definitely unlovely. Ass ugly interface. Lots of crapps - even those from Google. Support for music for example is blooming awful. There have been flaws in all of the ones I've owned - and I find they rarely last more than a year. The worst only managed 3 months. My iPhone 2G still works - just not suitable for the reasons above.

Having tried Windows 8.1 on a tablet - I can't see myself going that route either. The interface wasn't bad, but driver support was terrible. Updating to 8.1 resulted in intermittent audio so it went back.

As I said, if I spent hours on the thing each day - I'd buy something better. But I doubt I use it actively for more than 20-30 mins.