House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okaycuckoo

Abandoned Tank In Ukraine - What Happens If I Press This Button?

I don't know what to make of this event.

Somewhere in the Ukraine, a civilised street, an abandoned tank attracts a crowd of ordinary, nosy people ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNEhkSyvhyA#t=75

[sry - youtube pasting is still a lottery - vid is about 1m 50s]

What do they do with this concentrated, lethal force? They set it free, then try to make things better.

Funny and sad.

There are stupid people everywhere. I wonder what would happen if a tank like that was abandoned in some chavvy UK council estate...

There are stupid people everywhere. I wonder what would happen if a tank like that was abandoned in some chavvy UK council estate...

Within five minutes, it would be jacked up on bricks and the tracks would be down the local scrap metal merchant.

Actually laides and gents it's not a tank. Its a BMP 2 BMP stands for Boyevaya Mashina Pekhoty.

Small infantry type battle taxi designed to carry half a dozen troops or so across the battlefield. Main arm would have been a 30mm Cannon. If it was a tank the round would have done a hell of a lot more damage on the impact site.

This model and it's predecessor mark 1 were notorious as when they are stopped facing down hill the crew could not open the back doors (too heavy) to alight as they contained fuel for the vehicle.

We Brits have similiar vehicles and we call them Warrior and Saxon, Similarly Warrior is fitted with a 30mm cannon as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP-2

This model and it's predecessor mark 1 were notorious as when they are stopped facing down hill the crew could not open the back doors (too heavy) to alight as they contained fuel for the vehicle.

Kind of reminds me of the old KV tanks where the turret could not be rotated unless the tank was almost totally level. Then there was the 122mm equipped KV1s which wasnt much of success because every time it fired, the suspension would collapse and the turret would fly off backwards (not really but...)

Anyway, Errol will be along shortly to explain the inherent superiority of crappy soviet kit any minute now......

I'd like a go of a tank, preferably in the area of Downing Street.

Indeedy..

One of these should do nicely.

Challenger 2 Current British MBT This has got a proper main arm not like the little pea shooter up thereĀ¬

If you look closely you will see the good news just to the left centre of the shot. This needs to be heading through the front door of Downing Street.

Challenger_II_Basra_2008.jpg

It was dumb to mess about in side a fully armed and primed taxi then.

it was just as dumb to abandon the vehicle in that state in the first place.

Is Ukraine hell-bent on self-destruction, at the national and individual level?