House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Arecibo Detects A Fast Radio Burst

http://astrobites.org/2014/04/18/arecibo-detects-a-fast-radio-burst/

Fast radio bursts (FRBs) are no strangers to regular Astrobites readers- these mysterious radio signals are bright bursts of radiation which last a fraction of a second before disappearing, never to repeat again. Not much is known about them except most (but not all) appear to originate from very far away, outside the galaxy. Various theories have been proposed as to what may cause these signals. Many astronomers pointed out the signals may not be real at all: since the first was published in 2007 there have only been six FRBs recorded in the literature, all of which were detected at Parkes Observatory in Australia, while surveys at other radio telescopes came up empty. Based on this, debate raged as to whether the FRB signals could be from a more mundane origin than pulsing from beyond the galaxy, such as instrumentation noise or some unique phenomena at the Parkes site like unusual weather patterns.

Today’s paper is a vindication for the radio astronomers who insisted FRBs are astronomical in nature: it reports on the first-ever FRB detection by a telescope other than Parkes! Specifically, this FRB was detected at Arecibo Observatory by the Pulsar ALFA Survey, which surveyed the galactic plane at 1.4 GHz in order to detect single pulses from pulsars. Known as FRB 121102, the pulse was observed in November 2012 in one of 7 beams in the receiver ALFA uses, lasted about 3 ms, and came from the direction of the galactic plane. Despite this, astronomers think it’s likely the pulse originated from outside the galaxy based on its dispersion measure, or how much the signal’s frequency is “smeared” due to traveling through space (as explained well in this Astrobite, signals arrive later in lower frequencies when traveling long distances, giving an estimate on how far away the signal originated). This FRB’s dispersion measure was three times greater than the maximum galactic dispersion measure expected in the line of sight from which the FRB was observed, based on the distribution of matter in that part of the galaxy. While the authors suggest the pulses might be from a rotating radio transient- a special kind of pulsar- no other pulses were detected in follow-up observations so the signal is probably not just an unusually bright pulse from a pulsar.

I wonder what they've found?

Is there a translation of that article in layman's language? It means nothing to most people in it's present form.

No one wants to get excited about the possibility of an alien message when in fact they're talking about an unusual electronic fart generated by a solar belch!

It's probably me falling asleep on the morse key, and wiping out television reception for yards!

CQ DX

73 DE G**** IO81NK

It's probably me falling asleep on the morse key, and wiping out television reception for yards!

CQ DX

73 DE G**** IO81NK

Station calling ****. Nothing heard. Out.

Station calling ****. Nothing heard. Out.

I have become a radio ham just recently, in 1987!

I have become a radio ham just recently, in 1987!

thats not kosher

Is there a translation of that article in layman's language? It means nothing to most people in it's present form.

No one wants to get excited about the possibility of an alien message when in fact they're talking about an unusual electronic fart generated by a solar belch!

Are these mystery radio bursts messages from ALIENS? Freak frequency from outside the Milky Way baffles astronomers
article-2630615-1DEA3F6C00000578-327_154

Scientists are trying to work out what is causing Fast Radio Bursts (FRBs). The strange signals occur for a few milliseconds and come from nowhere.

The comic book version any good?

Never understood the interest in contacting ET. If they are anything like us, we'd want to stay nice and quiet, and pray our little blue rock isn't noticed - not say, look at us we're over here and ripe for the taking.

Tell them to go away, we have no more room, for more illegal aliens.

We are already concreting the country side! B)

Never understood the interest in contacting ET. If they are anything like us, we'd want to stay nice and quiet, and pray our little blue rock isn't noticed - not say, look at us we're over here and ripe for the taking.

I think Stephen Hawking made a similar point.

Too late know. Every alien within 100 light years now knows we are here.

Those within 30 light years will be judging us by watching Eastenders.

Aside from intellectual curiosity, I am not exactly worried by aliens. Any species that has managed to crack interstellar travel at respectable speeds (say 50% of the speed of light and upwards) is not going to be overly interested in anything we have to offer. Any species that has cracked FTL travel would probably not even recognise us as intelligent.

This the fundamental flaw with all of the alien invasion films. Species shows up in their warp drive ships, having flown past vast numbers of worlds, and squillions of tonnes of water. Why are they here? To plunder the water supplies of earth. Yeah right.

I'd say that any species that doesn't regard another as intelligent just because it's not got FTL is pretty thick - it's not as if they've had it ever since their species existed.

Where some people fail are both in their paranoia and their chance of success. "Don't broadcast our position" and films where we can stop the invaders. Anything capable of getting here will be capable of detecting us no matter what we do (at the very least identifying a potentially inhabitable planet - hell, doing that isn't a million miles off our current ability), and if they did get here and were feeling aggressive there would be sod all we could do anyway - even as good as, say, the Romans were any modern army could curbstomp them. There would be less that we could do against someone sitting up in space taking whatever potshots they felt like.

Aside from intellectual curiosity, I am not exactly worried by aliens. Any species that has managed to crack interstellar travel at respectable speeds (say 50% of the speed of light and upwards) is not going to be overly interested in anything we have to offer. Any species that has cracked FTL travel would probably not even recognise us as intelligent.

This the fundamental flaw with all of the alien invasion films. Species shows up in their warp drive ships, having flown past vast numbers of worlds, and squillions of tonnes of water. Why are they here? To plunder the water supplies of earth. Yeah right.

I recall a famous quote (can't remember who its from) about how when he found an ant colony, the first thing he did is not to ask to speak to the leader - but to just ignore it.

I'd say that any species that doesn't regard another as intelligent just because it's not got FTL is pretty thick - it's not as if they've had it ever since their species existed.

What makes you think that possession of FTL would halt evolution? Possession of fire didn't.

I recall a famous quote (can't remember who its from) about how when he found an ant colony, the first thing he did is not to ask to speak to the leader - but to just ignore it.

“One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; the ants will soon be here. And I for one welcome our new insect overlords. I’d like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.”

Those within 30 light years will be judging us by watching Eastenders.

And they'd be right to. Eastenders probably sums up the banality of the human species pretty well. I wish it didn't, but there we are.

Not even London property? Surely they'd want to buy some real estate?

Perhaps they'd want to study a species still in the dark ages for comedy value?