House Price Crash Forum

Former England Goalkeeper David James Declared Bankrupt

HOLA441

Bad property investments and a divorce to blame.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/fameandfortune/10835644/Former-England-footballer-David-James-declares-himself-bankrupt.html

David James, who just four years ago was England’s number one goalkeeper in the 2010 World Cup, has declared himself bankrupt.

According to a report in The Sun he built up debts following a costly divorce from his wife Tanya in 2005.

The goalkeeper reportedly earned £20 million in his 25-year career, in which he played for several Premier League clubs, including Liverpool and Manchester City.

The 43-year-old also secured other lucative contracts in his career, contributing to that total, including working as a model for Armani.

But despite investing his earnings in several properties Mr James filed a debtor’s petition at Hertford County Court last week.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Before feeling sorry for him, I'd like to see where he lives and what car he's driving.

I don't trust these 'poor bankrupt' stories where you're supposed to feel schadenfreude or that he's such a numpty. I would like to know his total financial position first before deciding he's scored a huge own goal. Grant Bovey is my measure.

EDIT: Good comment in the Telegraph noting that Gordon Banks never had a problem.

Indeed. Plenty of other examples of convenient bankruptcies to protect greater wealth. Kerry Katona?

Just like for people in the real world, the current bankruptcy laws are more like a financial planning tool than the last resort that they should be.

HOLA449

Something like 80% of US basketball stars wind up bankrupt. Mostly apparently due to the cost of their huge entourages.

So they may be rich, but people find sports stars company so dis-pleasurable they actually have to pay people to spend time with them. I think they get scripted most the time, but sometimes you see interviews where they don't have a teleprompter, and the average footballer can barely string a sentence together, so its not surprising their company isnt valued.

They think theyre gods. Only today in the paper a girl is disiplined for speaking the truth about odious plank John Terry. Companies should really pay staff a bonus for having to occupy the same room as any Terry family member.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2630288/Shop-girl-suspended-calling-John-Terry-pig-disgrace-conversation-overhead-Chelsea-star.html

That'll do for todays rant.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I think he spent all his money on PlayStation games.

non...it was someone elses money...someone else forwarded it believing they were getting it full back, and interest in two halves.

Edited by Bloo Loo

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
  • 6 months later...
HOLA4423

Before feeling sorry for him, I'd like to see where he lives and what car he's driving.

I don't trust these 'poor bankrupt' stories where you're supposed to feel schadenfreude or that he's such a numpty. I would like to know his total financial position first before deciding he's scored a huge own goal. Grant Bovey is my measure.

EDIT: Good comment in the Telegraph noting that Gordon Banks never had a problem.

I went to view a house for rent in Hertfordshire, and the agent mentioned that David James was the previous tenant. He also made a comment that there are always ways to get a tenant out of a long-term lease. I only realized the meaning of that statement after I remembered this post.

HOLA4424

Slightly off topic but came across this today ( for fans of I'm a celebrity ):

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jimmy-bullard-joins-im-celebrity-8096519

"

Jimmy Bullard joins I'm a Celebrity after losing £650k in investment

"

Former midfielder is apparently one of the players who lost thousands of pounds in a failed ‘Ponzi’ scheme

HOLA4425

I went to view a house for rent in Hertfordshire, and the agent mentioned that David James was the previous tenant. He also made a comment that there are always ways to get a tenant out of a long-term lease. I only realized the meaning of that statement after I remembered this post.

Bankruptcy would be one of those ways.