House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Sepp Blatter Says Awarding Qatar 2022 World Cup Was A 'mistake'

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/16/sepp-blatter-qatar-2022-world-cup_n_5335567.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Speaking to Swiss channel RTS, Blatter said: "Of course, it was a mistake. You know, one makes a lot of mistakes in life.

"The technical report indicated clearly that it was too hot in summer, but despite that the executive committee decided with quite a big majority that the tournament would be in Qatar."

Not only is the 2022 World Cup likely to be scheduled in the winter, thus meddling with the football calendar, but homosexuality is illegal in Qatar, which has also been accused of hosting "modern slavery".

How can this guy still be in his job? :lol:

One makes a lot of mistakes? Everything about the Qatar world cup location is a disaster. Blatter has one major decision every four years and this is the outcome.

Speaking to Swiss channel RTS, Blatter said: "Of course, it was a mistake. You know, one makes a lot of mistakes in life.

"The technical report indicated clearly that it was too hot in summer, but despite that the executive committee decided with quite a big majority bribe that the tournament would be in Qatar."

Not only is the 2022 World Cup likely to be scheduled in the winter, thus meddling with the football calendar, but homosexuality is illegal in Qatar, which has also been accused of hosting "modern slavery".

FIFA are becoming even more of a laughing stock the more often they admit it was a **** up but choose not to right this inexcusable wrong.

Trouble is all the brown envelopes have changed hands so they cannot take it back and re-award it somewhere else.

The World Cup has always been held in June as it is the best fit for a Worldwide tournament and fits in with domestic calendars. There simply is no precedent to move it in the modern game and I cann see opposition to such a move being huge from the federations.

So FIFA are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Am hoping that someone sticks their head over the parapet and announces the formation of a new World body to oversee the 2022 World cup citing FIFA as not fit for role. They could then award it to one of the other contenders (subject to due diligence). Clearly FIFA will scream like a stuck pig but they made their bed out of the brown envelopes they have to lie in it.

Who knows if it works FIFA could be finished going forward.

Well, he aknowledges they were already aware of all the disadvantages, so if he now views it as a mistake, presumably the "benefits" have turned out to be not as generous as was hoped.

I haven't been hearing much about it lately, but it was kind of funny a few months ago when they floated holding it in winter as if it was some sort of brilliant inspiration, when in fact that was exactly what the commentaters had feared was going to have to happen all along.

Traditional buildings in hot places often seem to be quite cool. I'm surprised they can't design something to keep the sun out while maintaining a nice air flow. High walls, lots of marble and running water. schedule games for early in the morning. Some sort of air conditioning.

I don't think we've heard the last of this in view of an investigation or inquiry. It may be the huge straw that breaks the camel's back and the end of Blatter finally.

Qatar should never have been awarded it, totally crazy decision or a very expensive one.

any country that cant even spell its own name should have been excluded

It's too hot, and the European footballer won't like it! Soccer is very popular in Arabic countries, as I observed on Channel 55 from Bahrain once! I'm sure a few bribes changed hands, and not for the first time!

Well, let's be controversial just for the sake of it....

I think it's a good move to award the World Cup to an Arab country for the first time. This isn't just 'Qatar' this is 'Arabia' and the whole Middle East and North Africa that will feel part of it.

It's just that there aren't too many cold nor stable countries to choose from.

This is a great opportunity to promote understanding between peoples and to bring Arabs into the international fold. The game is hugely popular amongst Arabs and they have a disproportionate number of young people that such an event can influence.

Yes, stuff the fans, the players, the clubs, the leagues and all of the other sports who're going to be hit by this, it's far more important to make some kind of half-arsed statement in favour of world peace.

I think it's a good move to award the World Cup to an Arab country for the first time. This isn't just 'Qatar' this is 'Arabia' and the whole Middle East and North Africa that will feel part of it.

This is a great opportunity to promote understanding between peoples and to bring Arabs into the international fold. The game is hugely popular amongst Arabs and they have a disproportionate number of young people that such an event can influence.

Looking at it from this direction makes one realise it is more important to be flexible to enable it to happen than to wring one's hands and say it was a 'mistake' because the European Leagues are inconvenienced. Let's face it most have a Winter break anyway.

The positives far outweigh any negatives.

It should be just like the snooker and hold it at the home of football every time in England and have the final in Sheffield.

It would be a great boost to the economy every 4 years.

Another comment I've read is that this is political.

Sepp 2hatter is up for re-election next year and Platini is the credible opponent. Plat voted for Qatar, 2hat didn't.

Looking at it from this direction makes one realise it is more important to be flexible to enable it to happen than to wring one's hands and say it was a 'mistake' because the European Leagues are inconvenienced. Let's face it most have a Winter break anyway.

There is hot and then there is the Arabian Peninsula

The average high temperature in Doha is over 40 C between June and August

http://weatherspark.com/averages/32878/Doha-Ad-Dawhah-Qatar

By contrast Cairo which is not exactly cool has an average high of 34 C over that period which makes it mild by comparison

http://weatherspark.com/averages/29245/Cairo-Al-Qahirah-Egypt

Games played in any temperature over 35 C will be putting players lives at risk so they are either going to have to kick off at midnight or play in the winter

Given that Doha is UTC +3 matches timed to start at 12.00AM local time or about 9.00-10.00 PM European time might actually fit in quite well with European TV schedules. The players would just have to leave their watches set to BST or its equivalent

I don't think we've heard the last of this in view of an investigation or inquiry. It may be the huge straw that breaks the camel's back and the end of Blatter finally.

I doubt it. I read an article that suggested his work was not done. He is not the messiah?

Well, he aknowledges they were already aware of all the disadvantages, so if he now views it as a mistake, presumably the "benefits" have turned out to be not as generous as was hoped.

I haven't been hearing much about it lately, but it was kind of funny a few months ago when they floated holding it in winter as if it was some sort of brilliant inspiration, when in fact that was exactly what the commentaters had feared was going to have to happen all along.

Traditional buildings in hot places often seem to be quite cool. I'm surprised they can't design something to keep the sun out while maintaining a nice air flow. High walls, lots of marble and running water. schedule games for early in the morning. Some sort of air conditioning.

It's almost impossible for anyone who's never experienced it to imagine high summer heat in that part of the world. When I first arrived in the summer, it was around midnight and the heat was still like when you open the oven door to look at the roast. I had thought I was used to heat, having spent time in West Africa, but this was something else

I found it unbelievable that a summer event like this was ever awarded to Qatar. Can only imagine that a lot of brown envelopes must have been involved.

Hvae you been bribed to say that?

Egypt would have been a better choice! They like football a lot, and it is not too hot! Even foreign people can talk to women there, even if they wear a scarf, just like the Queen!

Hvae you been bribed to say that?

Looks as though there is now evidence that someone was.

It looks as though the Sunday Times has done a good job in uncovering what everyone knew was the case.

I was glad Qatar won. The middle-east is football mad and I'm all for spreading the gospel.

A joint bid with the other gulf states would have been good. One group playing all in Bahrain, another in Dubai etc with the final in Qatar.

If it's going to be in winter then there should be a re-vote.

I don't think it should always be in June as it excludes some countries e.g. Australia from hosting but it should be made explicit in the bid stage.

It should be just like the snooker and hold it at the home of football every time in England and have the final in Sheffield.

It would be a great boost to the economy every 4 years.

Yes, but it must be in London. Same for the Olympics. The US Open. Paris-Dakaar Rally. London London London.

I suppose the FIFA Qatar decision shows how all government is run. Surely this is how Serco secures so many contracts from Whitehall. It's just that the Qatar decision has upset too many VIs?

I think pro footballers would need to think about the longterm damage playing in Qartar's hot temps might do to their health and sporting future.

It probably won't be quite as damaging as all those Olympians breathing in the radioactive hot particles in Japan in 2020.

It probably won't be quite as damaging as all those Olympians breathing in the radioactive hot particles in Japan in 2020.

or indeed the rugby world cup in Japan in 2019.....

Not forgetting the tens of thousands of virtual slave labourers of who many hundreds have died making this corrupt dream come true...

bottom.jpg

There was a suggestion that one of the proposed stadia looked similar to a ladies front bottom.
Can't see it myself.

post-13816-0-89835800-1401628520_thumb.jpg

More bribery allegations

http://news.sky.com/story/1273200/world-cup-revote-calls-after-new-bribery-claims

Since backhanders appear to be the norm for awarding World Cup bids you do wonder if this subject is merely being raised as an excuse for Fifa to ditch Qatar's bid given it is probably the most unsuitable place climatically outside of Antarctica to hold a major football tournament.