House Price Crash Forum

Bbc: The Property Hotspots Loved By 'yuppies'

HOLA441

Don't know what this has to do with news or business, but my TV tax is paying for it, or at least for some bankrupt bank to write it and then be regurgiitated by the state mouthpiece. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27425255 The property hotspots loved by 'yuppies'

_74880424_57643873.jpgWimbledon village is popular with yuppies as well as tennis players

Young urban professionals - a group known back in the 1980s as "yuppies" - are flocking to a limited number of property hotspots, says new research.

They are also not put off by the higher prices in their favourite haunts.

In the smarter areas of Manchester, Bristol and Birmingham they spend at least 50% more than people who buy elsewhere in the area.

But the research, by Lloyds Bank, shows that a yuppy's true spiritual home is Wimbledon, in south west London.

Indeed half of the most popular areas for the whole country are in London's SW postal district.

The research was based on figures for England and Wales from the Land Registry.

It ranks the number of home purchases made by career-minded 25 to 44 year-olds.

It also shows that when yuppies buy a property, they pay a typical premium of as much as 63% over other homes in the same city.

Top towns for yuppies Town Postcode Region Average price paid (£) Price premium

Wimbledon

SW19

London

13%

Hove

BN3

South East

-11%

Didsbury

M20

North West

55%

Clifton

BS8

South West

50%

Cambridge

CB1

East Anglia

0%

West Bridgford

NG2

East Midlands

48%

Ecclesall/Hunter's Bar

S11

Yorks and Humber

39%

Jesmond

NE2

North East

37%

Harborne

B17

West Midlands

63%

Cardiff Central

CF24

Wales

-7%

_74880428_107839113.jpgThe Clifton area of Bristol is another yuppy hotspot

However, excluding the smarter parts of Hove and Brighton, all the most popular area for yuppies are in London.

Many are to be found along the more southerly reaches of the Northern Line, which bisects the capital.

Back in the 1980s, when the yuppy word was coined, some even had their own alternative pronunciations.

Battersea, traditionally a working class part of the capital, was pronounced in a way that rhymed with Mercia, or was otherwise known, pretentiously, as South Chelsea.

Top yuppy locations in London Area Postcode Average House price £ (12 months to Jan 2014)

Wimbledon

SW19

Fulham

SW6

Wandsworth

SW18

Battersea

SW11

Streatham

SW16

Hampstead

NW3

Tooting

SW17

Paddington

W2

Kilburn

NW6

Putney

SW15

Balham

SW12

The typical profile used for the research involved young graduates, with professional qualifications, who are well paid, and choose to live in a city.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

State owned bank pumps out some Tory driven (weren't the '80s great!) housing propaganda and the Tory controlled state broadcaster pumps it out as fact to sucker in more punters.

Banana republic.

Without the republic. Or the bananas.

HOLA445
The Clifton area of Bristol is another yuppy hotspot

I think LOL sums it up nicely. Sitting here in Clifton at this moment, it's a decaying Victorian area with awful traffic and parking, with little going for it. Yes, it full of the stupid i-pod jumbo mortgage types - but anyone sensible would live in nicer areas of Bristol such as Shire Hampton or just pop down the motorway like I do.

I don't get it really. If you are not a student, why do you 'need' to live in an area full of pubs and restaurants that you could visit occasionally?

HOLA446
HOLA447

I think LOL sums it up nicely. Sitting here in Clifton at this moment, it's a decaying Victorian area with awful traffic and parking, with little going for it. Yes, it full of the stupid i-pod jumbo mortgage types - but anyone sensible would live in nicer areas of Bristol such as Shire Hampton or just pop down the motorway like I do.

I don't get it really. If you are not a student, why do you 'need' to live in an area full of pubs and restaurants that you could visit occasionally?

Wurzel, I have to disagree with you. Clifton is a Beautiful Georgian Village that, unfortunately, is chock full of Tossers. The Yuppy tag is just about perfect.

You only have to go back to the late 70's/early 80's and Clifton was very much like other parts of Bristol. Cheap, run down, with WW2 Blitz sites still very prominent. Then the Yuppies moved in and made it the most unfriendly, pretentious and - one of - the most expensive parts of Bristol. Like you, I like to visit from nearby for a stroll around the stunning Georgian terraces.

Pubs are awful now though, the best ones have all been tarted up for the worst. Soulless.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

You mean to say that you don't what to eat out 4 times a week and go to the bar after work every day! I agree, I think this might be a sign that we have hit middle age! :D

HOLA4411

"Yuppy" implies a stock market boom going on?

^Del Boy and Trigger hang out where Yuppies hang out to catch some classy women

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuppy_Love

Synopsis[edit]

Having seen and been strongly influenced by the film Wall Street, especially its lead character, the ruthless corporate high-flyer Gordon Gekko,Del Boy has decided to adopt a new "yuppy" image, donning a striped shirt and red braces, and carrying a filofax and a silver briefcase. Rodney in turn has joined an evening computer class in an attempt to earn a diploma and finally get a proper job. There he meets and is attracted toCassandra Parry. He later meets her again at a nightclub, where she offers to give him a lift home. She first drives to her house and Rodney feels upstaged by Cassandra's luxurious lifestyle. Embarrassed at the thought of Cassandra seeing their council flat in Nelson Mandela House, Rodney instead leads her to The King's Avenue, an expensive and very up-market road, implying that he lives there and has to stand in the driveway, being seen by the homeowners. Despite soon finding out that he actually doesn't Cassandra still phones and agrees to meet Rodney again.

HOLA4412

Wurzel, I have to disagree with you. Clifton is a Beautiful Georgian Village that, unfortunately, is chock full of Tossers. The Yuppy tag is just about perfect.

You only have to go back to the late 70's/early 80's and Clifton was very much like other parts of Bristol. Cheap, run down, with WW2 Blitz sites still very prominent. Then the Yuppies moved in and made it the most unfriendly, pretentious and - one of - the most expensive parts of Bristol. Like you, I like to visit from nearby for a stroll around the stunning Georgian terraces.

Pubs are awful now though, the best ones have all been tarted up for the worst. Soulless.

Let's be honest about it, Clifton is a better part of Bristol, but Bristol is still a complete shite hole city compared to other cities around the world.

Clifton is still dirty, run down crime infested rat run + now it's full of tossers. What's to like about it?

I didn't live there in the 70's - I wasn't alive back then.

Like most of the UK's other infrastructure I find the crumbling 'Georgian' architecture unfit for today's living. Poor energy efficiency, no parking, damp buildings and extremely poor transport system.

Yes, it better than other areas of Bristol that frankly need bulldozing, but that doesn't make it a good area.

HOLA4413

Let's be honest about it, Clifton is a better part of Bristol, but Bristol is still a complete shite hole city compared to other cities around the world.

Clifton is still dirty, run down crime infested rat run + now it's full of tossers. What's to like about it?

I didn't live there in the 70's - I wasn't alive back then.

Like most of the UK's other infrastructure I find the crumbling 'Georgian' architecture unfit for today's living. Poor energy efficiency, no parking, damp buildings and extremely poor transport system.

Yes, it better than other areas of Bristol that frankly need bulldozing, but that doesn't make it a good area.

Harsh Wurzel, very harsh. Vast swathes of Bristol are beautiful and should be explored.

That said, Bristol suffers massively from a dire local council, poor public planning and support. It is ironic that such a pioneering City (Back in the day) should be held back by nimbyism, politicians and inaction. It is not through lack of talent.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Beautiful architecture, great views, entirely walkable, and many amenities would be the obvious reasons.

Shirehampton is a halfway house neither convenient enough for city living, nor far enough away for countryside, and Highbridge is.... well, part of Burnham, Weston super Mare's poor cousin.

HOLA4416

Beautiful architecture, great views, entirely walkable, and many amenities would be the obvious reasons.

Shirehampton is a halfway house neither convenient enough for city living, nor far enough away for countryside, and Highbridge is.... well, part of Burnham, Weston super Mare's poor cousin.

I guess everyone likes different things, I hardly call Clifton's architecture beautiful. It would have been a wonderful place to live 100 years ago, but it's far from serving modern day requirements.

I wouldn't live in Weston or Bridgwater - Burnham/Highbridge is a compromise (well living in the UK is a compromise) as it's not as bad as the other two + property is cheaper. The wife would have me live in Glastonbury which I guess makes Clifton look like paradise :-).

You should get out a little more and try living in other cities (not just UK ones), the reality of Bristol will strike home. It's always a struggle trying to convince bristolians that there is more to the world than outside of well Bristol.

HOLA4417

I guess everyone likes different things, I hardly call Clifton's architecture beautiful. It would have been a wonderful place to live 100 years ago, but it's far from serving modern day requirements.

I wouldn't live in Weston or Bridgwater - Burnham/Highbridge is a compromise (well living in the UK is a compromise) as it's not as bad as the other two + property is cheaper. The wife would have me live in Glastonbury which I guess makes Clifton look like paradise :-).

You should get out a little more and try living in other cities (not just UK ones), the reality of Bristol will strike home. It's always a struggle trying to convince bristolians that there is more to the world than outside of well Bristol.

I've lived in many cities, on multiple continents. The reality is, Bristol's wonderful - other than some unfortunate post-war architecture and planning decisions that left us with a substantially denuded city centre/old city, and some very lucky escapes that preserved, among other things, the floating harbour, the geography (both what you get to look at and enjoy, and in terms of connectedness) is excellent, we're affluent, healthy, and educated, there's strong community spirit, and a wide variety of choices for areas to live with different vibes.

You're an anomaly in that everyone I've met not from Bristol who's come here has either concluded how lucky we are, or how lucky they were to get to move here. It's a destination of choice. We're regularly reported to hold such titles as most environmentally sustainable city, most economically sustainable city, we're the only region outside of London that's a net contributor to the treasury.

As I recall, your first reaction upon seeing trees on Whiteladies road (clean the air, provide shade, pleasant to be around, popular) was to react in anger that there were roots under the pavement.

You're entitled to your opinion, I just don't think you realise what a minority you are.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I've lived in many cities, on multiple continents. The reality is, Bristol's wonderful - other than some unfortunate post-war architecture and planning decisions that left us with a substantially denuded city centre/old city, and some very lucky escapes that preserved, among other things, the floating harbour, the geography (both what you get to look at and enjoy, and in terms of connectedness) is excellent, we're affluent, healthy, and educated, there's strong community spirit, and a wide variety of choices for areas to live with different vibes.

You're an anomaly in that everyone I've met not from Bristol who's come here has either concluded how lucky we are, or how lucky they were to get to move here. It's a destination of choice. We're regularly reported to hold such titles as most environmentally sustainable city, most economically sustainable city, we're the only region outside of London that's a net contributor to the treasury.

As I recall, your first reaction upon seeing trees on Whiteladies road (clean the air, provide shade, pleasant to be around, popular) was to react in anger that there were roots under the pavement.

You're entitled to your opinion, I just don't think you realise what a minority you are.

You are entitled to your opinion. I have yet to meet these people who also think it's wonderful. Apart from the ex-student's I, everyone I work with can't wait to leave the place on the weekend.

I will never understand why you would enjoy living in such a densely populated and dirty city. Frankly there is nothing enjoyable about it.

HOLA4420

You are entitled to your opinion. I have yet to meet these people who also think it's wonderful. Apart from the ex-student's I, everyone I work with can't wait to leave the place on the weekend.

I will never understand why you would enjoy living in such a densely populated and dirty city. Frankly there is nothing enjoyable about it.

Ridiculous Comments, bordering on parody. Go for a picnic on the Downs this weekend.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Clifton brings to mind Liz Jones' finest hour.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1347621/Joanna-Yeates-murder-Becoming-just-thumbnail-police-website.html

It's Friday night and I’m in the Ram bar on Park Street in Bristol.

This is where Joanna Yeates spent her last evening before she set off up the hill, past all the twinkly shops and bars (a Habitat, a Space NK beauty emporium; Bristol is nothing if not upwardly mobile) towards her death.

The bar is OK but ordinary. The wine list, chalked on a board, says ‘Lauren Perrier’.

I wish she had spent what were probably her last hours on earth somewhere lovelier.

Edited by thecrashingisles

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Pre-2008 the talk would have been all about junior bankers and City whiz kids. Govt propagandists are clearly mindful of the contempt in which these characters and institutions are now held, hence the use of the paleolithic descriptor 'yuppie' instead.