House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Executive Sadman

If It Doesnt Sell, The Price Is Too Low.

On the market for 18 months...

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/18524723

Obviously increasing the price every 6 months is the secret to securing a sale.

First listed
£85,000 on 29th Sep 2012

Asking price changes
  • £104,995 23.5% Increased on: 3rd Oct 2012
  • £109,995 4.8% Increased on: 4th May 2013
  • £119,950 9.1% Increased on: 15th Nov 2013

The one that really bugs me is raising the price and then dropping it back by less than it went up, just so that RM re-spams everyone with a new 'Reduced' listing for the same old tat. Propety-Bee is not falling for that rubbish!

<p>

First listed

£85,000 on 29th Sep 2012

Asking price changes

Maybe they're improving it as they go along?

Is this the same place... data pulled from the same postcode. I think some properties have no value.

Sale Date: 18 Jun 2004

Property: Detached, Freehold

Price Paid: £160,000

Source: Land Registry

41403_04969_IMG_00_0000.jpg

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=28084621&sale=25912205&country=england

2003 listing: Asking £169,000 http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/45-murrow-bank/murrow/parson-drove/wisbech/pe13-4hd/4801145

First listed

£85,000 on 29th Sep 2012

Asking price changes

Do you remeber my post about the local agent ( northampton ) telling us all they had been visited by the agents of beelzebub the BoE.

Since then we've seen no end of ramping...no end of asking price increases...no end of "SOLD" signs appearing on street corners on public land.

Im not becoming a conspiracy theorists but I wonder if it is possible these agents told the local E.A, directly or indirectly, to start ramping prices and they'd be supported by government and the bankers ?

There is no logic in what is going on and the asking prices being set, as far as I cans see, are based on nothing more than what the vendor things they "deserve".

They way it's going they vendors and e.a. are going to collapse the whole thing in a heap without any interest rate rise etc...just no buyers.

And just to show I am not going mad, here's the article:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/business/property-news/market-thoughts-simon-bond-welcome-uplift-as-confidence-keeps-growing-1-5572047

" had an agent from the Bank of England visit me last week to get a local steer as to how the housing market was moving forward and also to discuss pressing issues for companies the size of O’Riordan Bond. "

"Published on the 10 October 2013 "

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

From the pics why does the property look like its been flooded recently and/or recently been dug out?I

It used to set into the slope. Note the mark of where steps used to be on the "front elevation" and the fact that the current lower floor has very few windows.

Either it's a converted agricultural building (steps up to a hayloft, large opening for carts / tractors) or was built on the slope as a bungalow with storage underneath.

How far back do records of planning consent go in Cambridgeshire?

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/business/property-news/market-thoughts-simon-bond-welcome-uplift-as-confidence-keeps-growing-1-5572047

" had an agent from the Bank of England visit me last week to get a local steer as to how the housing market was moving forward and also to discuss pressing issues for companies the size of O’Riordan Bond. "

"Published on the 10 October 2013 "

Creepy. Its like something out of soviet era russia.

"lets get our stories on tractor production straight, comrade"

How is this not the BoE abusing its position?

I understand some divorce and inheritance cases end up with a property advertised not to sell.

A previous rental we had was on at a silly price way above market price so it would not be sold in a divorce situation - but someone came along and bought it ...

Is this the same place... data pulled from the same postcode. I think some properties have no value.

Sale Date: 18 Jun 2004

Property: Detached, Freehold

Price Paid: £160,000

Source: Land Registry

41403_04969_IMG_00_0000.jpg

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=28084621&sale=25912205&country=england

2003 listing: Asking £169,000 http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/45-murrow-bank/murrow/parson-drove/wisbech/pe13-4hd/4801145

Doubt it, the zoopla link description says 'modern'

A lot of these shacks in the fens were selling for next to nothing prior to 2001. Under £10k wasnt unusual. If the address links to this property the plot has probably been split and a modern house built in the gardens. Most old houses in the fens would come with a considerable sized garden which have since been developed. Got to house our eastern european turnip picking friends somewhere.

Doubt it, the zoopla link description says 'modern'

A lot of these shacks in the fens were selling for next to nothing prior to 2001. Under £10k wasnt unusual. If the address links to this property the plot has probably been split and a modern house built in the gardens. Most old houses in the fens would come with a considerable sized garden which have since been developed. Got to house our eastern european turnip picking friends somewhere.

It's a match for me... look at the aerial. At £160K in 2004. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=28084621&sale=25912205&country=england

'Modern'.. on the regional forum the other day, there were a few examples of how EAs bluster.

Creepy. Its like something out of soviet era russia.

"lets get our stories on tractor production straight, comrade"

How is this not the BoE abusing its position?

I was of a similar opinion when I read the original article.

The last people the BoE and government should be working with is non-wealth generating middle men who were most likely partly to blame for the mess in the first place.

Something strikes me as decidedly wrong when I re-read that article.

The boom has had little of no effect on actual sales prices in Northants ( according to the land reg ) but if you believe the asking prices/media you'd thing we had "returned to normal".

The soon this normal becomes exposed for what it is the better.

From the pics why does the property look like its been flooded recently and/or recently been dug out?

Looks like what used to be the cellar is now the ground Floor,Strange

There is no logic in what is going on and the asking prices being set, as far as I cans see, are based on nothing more than what the vendor things they "deserve".

They way it's going they vendors and e.a. are going to collapse the whole thing in a heap without any interest rate rise etc...just no buyers.

That's where I've stated the crash will come from.

However I don't read anything sinister into the BoE official doing a fact-find with an EA. Quite amusing how the EA then turns it into a plug to invite buyers and sellers in to see them.

If the EA had been smart enough to tell him high-prices causing slower sales, might have got somewhere (if that's true in Northampton). It's the fault of many EAs for not wanting more sales at lower prices, for overall more commission/profit, and to trigger more inventory onto market from complacent owners.

Also I doubt the EA is directly involved in selling HTB properties for a start - for I thought the developer tends to list and sell them direct, most of the time.

I had an agent from the Bank of England visit me last week to get a local steer as to how the housing market was moving forward and also to discuss pressing issues for companies the size of O’Riordan Bond.
The feedback I gave was that the housing market was getting busier – the Help to Buy Scheme was giving confidence to people at all price levels – but that as an employer of 70 or so staff, I remain cautious with regard to investment decisions we are making.
If you are thinking of buying or selling your first property, my advice would be pop in and see one of our staff at O’Riordan Bond to receive bespoke advice with regard to whether it is the right time for you to make that move. We look forward to meeting you.

Fens. Soil/wind erosion. In another couple of decades the cellar will be the second floor. :lol:

It's not normal erosion, which is slower, it's down to the draining of peat land - standing water prevents aerobic organisms from breaking down the peat, remove the standing water and they can work their way through that organic matter and reduce it down quite drastically - which is why it's happening so fast. You'll be right about the second floor if flood defences hold but realistically the whole of the Fens is probably going to end up below the sea, although hopefully not for somewhile yet.

Edited by Lo-fi

It's not normal erosion, which is slower, it's down to the draining of peat land - standing water prevents aerobic organisms from breaking down the peat, remove the standing water and they can work their way through that organic matter and reduce it down quite drastically - which is why it's happening so fast. You'll be right about the second floor if flood defences hold but realistically the whole of the Fens is probably going to end up below the sea, although hopefully not for somewhile yet.

I found it on Googleearth. It's an excavated cellar, the house (bungalow) was built on the side of the "bank" which is the high land above the fen the road is built on, usually a "rodden" or old river course, underlain with alluvium, so as the peat shrank, the road became elevated above it. The original front door was where the small upper window now is. The neighbouring house's garden is a couple of meters above you!

The other side is a plot with a "sold" sign outside, it looks like the land belonged to an old mill/agricultural building at the rear. The new house in the EA pictures is probably on that plot.

A very obvious abandoned project.

One thing that over looked in threads like there.

Let's say the hypothetical Boomer (who own the majority of property wealth) wanted to sell that crap hole and buy a flat for their kids.

Now HPI is raging away at 10%/15, they would be forced to put up the price of their crap hole at the same rate, if not a greater rate to compensate the rising inflation.

I'm of the opion that it only takes relatively few higher sales to push up the whole market via this know on effect.

I suppose at least they are trying to sell it for a discount of 25% on the price they paid for it eight years ago....but it probably wont find any buyers. But at least they are prepared to take a 50% + real loss.

What amazes me is how vendors have the patience to sit on empty stuff for years running into decades. There does seem to be a major problem in a swathe of the country from fenland, north to the Lincolnshire Wolds and onwards to Scarborough. Rural properties seem almost unsellable and it is laughable to suggest that the boom has touched the whole of England. Some areas are clearly still tanking.

I like the area as an escape from urbanisation and cars, but when I tour these areas there is no property sold, new developments are abandoned Ireland style in places like Sutton on Sea. Here's an example of one where the developer hasn't sold a single unit near Filey. The details by the way are dated 2006. Last time I went trees had started to grow out of the block paving.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41146355.html